Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just bought a xd 357 4" service last month. I have been reading about Don's guide rod and wolff springs on this forum,(which I am new too). Could anyone tell me how much of a difference this makes in recoil? I thought the pistol was very controlable out of the box. I am used to shooting .45's and maybe I am used to a little more recoil. I was very pleased with the xd, but if there was a considerable difference with the new guide rod and springs, I would be interested in trying them. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put a Don's Guide Rod and a 22# spring in my XD40 service two weeks ago. There is a noticable, but not profound, reduction in muzzle flip. It does make the pistol more enjoyable to shoot. There are a couple nice things about the DGR setup:

1- For about 8 bucks, you can buy interchangable springs and easily change weights if desired, from the 18# stock spring weight all the way up to the 24# beefy spring.

2- There have been a few XD owners that have had the stock guide rod assembly shatter, locking up their gun and requiring a replacement. Springfield will send out a replacement rod/spring assembly for free, but it creates a hassle and down time with your pistol.

The DGR provides a more comfortable shooting experience and peace of mind. This is a thoroughly worthwhile upgrade for your XD. I wouldn't want to shoot my XD without one.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
icwtum
There have been a few XD owners that have had the stock guide rod assembly shatter, locking up their gun and requiring a replacement
I don't have Don's guide rods, but the reason stated above is the strongest selling point for me. For right now, I remain stock, but I do recommend the upgrade and will do it eventually.

Take a good look at the front end of the stock guide rod. I does look like it will snap off someday. $25 is good insurance. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts