Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to install Don's FLGR in my XD-9 Service model. I have watched the video on how to do this and it is a no brainer. The problem is once the rod is installed the gun refuses to go into battery and the guide rod sticks out about 1 cm. It gets stuck put of battery. I am using a #22 spring for a 1911 Compact from Wolff. I did manage to replace it back with the original SA stock recoil spring assembly again but would really like to convert to Don's FLGR. Any suggestion what is going wrong? The rod is installed right and I tried cutting coils off the spring after the it did not work right in case that was the problem, but that only made it worse. Please advise.

BTW, Don, how is the weather in Pullman, it is cold and clear here by Puget Sound.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The only way I can get my guide rod to stick out is to install the spring backwards. The correct way is the closed loops of the spring goes on the rod first, the open end of the spring coils go foward into the slide hood and against the washer.

Your guide rod is just a bit over 3" right?

The spring is for the Springfield Compact size 1911 and not some other Compact right?

I amy crash and go to bed tonight but we'll get this figured.

Weather has been nice for the last two weeks, but cooler today in the mid 40s with a bit o' rain. I don't belive in global warming but I believe I like this winter so far.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not install it backwards. I will try again with another spring and advise. Rod is 3", used a bronze washer with it.. Spring was #49022 from Wolff for Colt Officer, Kimber Compact, Para P12, Springfiedl Ultra & V10.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
49322 is the technical drop in spring for the service model xd.

When you have the slide off the frame, install the washer (only one), spring and guide rod closed coil towards the rear, and the larger area of the rod goes on the lug on the bottom of the barrel.

make it look like this picture

Does the rod stick out when the set up is assembled like this?
if not and everything looks normal. we go on to step two.

make the spring the correct length. Take the slide and install it on the frame. Pull the slide all the way to the rear and hold it. Take a look at the slide stop. There is a cut on the frame that matches a cut on the slide move the slide back until both cuts are even and form a rectangle. now the slide should be able to move back just a bit more enough that the slide will move back several 100ths of inch (or the thickness of a coil in the spring)past the frames cut out. If its too much more than this you cut too much spring off and there is not enough force to close the slide(I did it once with a 9 pound spring). If you pass this test then on to step three.

push the slide lock up and lock the slide back. Now slowly lower the disassembly lever. Did any thing happen out of ordinary like something gave way. If every thing seems normal close the slide. Does it stick again?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The slide looked OK after assembly. I guess I may have wrong lenght spring. I thought I had the right one. Will see what Don says after he wakes up tomorrow. I did the assembly right, don't worry about that. A monkey with brain dammage can assemble it. The problem seems to be the spring lenght I think.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the Wolff site. Yup, wrong size spring. I had extras for the Kimber Compact my wife had, wanted to use them up. Guess I need to buy more springs, this time of the correct size/lenght.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Well even if they were too long you would know that becuase you could not lock the slide or lower the disassembly lever, the thing with over trimming is that the slide would be limp for lack of a better term. The slide would not lock with any force and look out of battery but you would be able to push it into battery. If its limp then you will need another stronger spring. If it seems like somethings blocking the slide from going into battery then its something else especially since the spring and rod assembles fine onto the upper.

Ill say it I blame evildons CQ :D What you got was the service and a half model or one of those extreme rods he made for some one. Damn its 2:30 and I have a match at 9:00

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I still can't visualize how the rod length would be left hanging out.
The photo ajamesp51 provided (thanks!) shows exactly what I expect to see. The rod end rests against the lug under the barrel, and the other end is just barely past the slide end. With the proper spring (again thanks ajamesp51) when the slide is installed on the frame the rods stays in this position. Unless something is hanging up on the locking block nothing should change the rod postion.,

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rod was hanging out when i did the function check upon reassembly. It was fine during installation and reassembly, but after I released the slide when assembled it would not go fully into battery and the rod stuck out 1 cm. I think it has to do with me using the wrong spring, the one I used was a left over form my wife's Kimber Compact and that translates to a Springfield Ultra. Not enough lenght and strength to drive the slide into battery against the striker spring. Will correct that by ordering proper spring from Wolff, may fault for trying to economize. BTW, would a cut down 18# Wolff spring for a full size 1911 work while I wait for the shipment from Wolff? Just asking as I am eager to try the rod out.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Yes the 18# spring would work, do the test where I told you to look at the slide lock and cut one or two coils at a time until it just clears.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I think I tried that with a "full length" spring and by the time it was short enough to fit it was the same as you have now: too weak/short to close the slide. But it has been quite a bit, and with the old forum lost I can't go hunting for my posts on the subject.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts