Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife picked one up about 6 mos ago..She liked easy rack,grip safety, soft shooter easy load mags, blah blah blah...Anyway, after about 4 to 500 trouble free rounds trigger wouldn't reset every 3 to 4 rounds..Then the last round stove piping and double ejections started happening..We had other guys shoot it and same issues..Called SW,sent it back..Came back with all new mags ,followers,and,springs..After the first 20 or so rounds,same issues (less the trigger reset) started again with 3 out of 4 mags..She shot it ,I shot it,other people shot it..no good..Called and back to SW again..A few days ago while searching about the issues I came across a post about the new shield EZ 9mm magazine change..Seems that SW put about a one inch long dimple/indentation in the top rear of the mag body..So I called SW and asked about it..He more or less told me it was put there to eliminate the stove pipe/ ejection issues the 380 is experiencing..So I asked why won't they do this for the 380 ? So he tells me "with so many 380 ez's out there it wouldn't be cost efficient to change out all of the mags at this point"..Whatever..Got the gun back 2 days ago and took it back to where we bought it,told him why, and traded it in towards another p365 ms that the wife likes since she's taken mine over,so I can have mine back..Anyway,S&W needs to fix their shite..Seems like this is a big issue with a lot of the 380 ez's..Here's a pic of the new 9mm mag with the added dimple..

Screenshot_20200206-093338.png

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Well that friggin sucks. My M&P's and Shield have been 100% reliable, I'm surprised S&W is not doing a better job of fixing the issue.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well that friggin sucks. My M&P's and Shield have been 100% reliable, I'm surprised S&W is not doing a better job of fixing the issue.
Totally agree Snap..We have two 9mm and a 45 shield that are frequently carried and have been flawess since day one...Honestly,I had read about some of these early 380 EZ issues before we bought..It seemed the newer ones were running somewhat trouble free..So,I get what I get..This one's on me..Sometimes good,sometimes not so good..

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Totally agree Snap..We have two 9mm and a 45 shield that are frequently carried and have been flawess since day one...Honestly,I had read about some of these early 380 EZ issues before we bought..It seemed the newer ones were running somewhat trouble free..So,I get what I get..This one's on me..Sometimes good,sometimes not so good..
I'm glad you wound up with something you liked anyway.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Our .380 EZ is good so far too. But when we've shot off the next 2000+ rounds I just bought I'll probably trade it for the 9 version. Thanks for telling your story, hopefully before it becomes my story.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Damn, and I bought so many mags too. I wonder if they can be modified......

I'd sure like to know how that dimple fixes anything.

Found this in a quick search:

Problem: Stovepipe Jam

When the fired case is not fully ejected and is trapped by the returning slide, it looks a bit like a little smokestack sticking out above the ejection port. This is normally caused by underpowered ammunition, a very dirty chamber or a damaged case ejector.

I keep my .380 very clean and well lubed. I'm finicky about ammo (Only use Magtech) and probably haven't damaged ejector..... yet.

Also found this:

"Stove piping is generally a function of a slow slide. Either A, your loads are too light, or B, you're limp wristing the pistol. Sometimes a weak recoil spring can cause stovepiping issues but not because the slide is slow, its because the slide is actually far too fast and cycles before the case can clear the ejection port. this is usually evident as a round will be partially fed into the chamber when you realize you've got a stovepipe. low pressures and limp wristing usually mitigate slide inertia enough that it short strokes and doesn't try to feed an other round."

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn, and I bought so many mags too. I wonder if they can be modified......

I'd sure like to know how that dimple fixes anything.

Found this in a quick search:

Problem: Stovepipe Jam

When the fired case is not fully ejected and is trapped by the returning slide, it looks a bit like a little smokestack sticking out above the ejection port. This is normally caused by underpowered ammunition, a very dirty chamber or a damaged case ejector.

I keep my .380 very clean and well lubed. I'm finicky about ammo (Only use Magtech) and probably haven't damaged ejector..... yet.

Also found this:

"Stove piping is generally a function of a slow slide. Either A, your loads are too light, or B, you're limp wristing the pistol. Sometimes a weak recoil spring can cause stovepiping issues but not because the slide is slow, its because the slide is actually far too fast and cycles before the case can clear the ejection port. this is usually evident as a round will be partially fed into the chamber when you realize you've got a stovepipe. low pressures and limp wristing usually mitigate slide inertia enough that it short strokes and doesn't try to feed an other round."
They've pretty much agreed to the fact that it's a magazine issue with these guns..The magazine springs are too weak ,which is why 99 % of the stove pipe ejection issues occur with the last round of the magazines..There's a lot of info on the issues with these guns if you care to do more research when you have time..It seems the later ones run somewhat better to an extent.. Hopefully you won't experience anything with your gun..My guns are kept squeeky clean after every range visit..I shoot all good quality ammo..This is an issue with their magazine design ...This is why (even according to SW ) they've somewhat tweaked the ez 9mm magazine with the magazine's dimple and a heavier spring...I heard Wolff Springs is currently working on a new stiffer spring for these guns that they claim should fix the issue..It seems S&W has moved on from it at this point..For now,It is what it is I guess..

·
Registered
892 Posts
Lots of problems with these guns. That said, I got my dad one last year and so far we’ve put over 900 rounds through it with no problems.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Drat... hate seeing this... was going to try for one for my wife to replace a M&P9c that is a bit too difficult for her to manipulate..... :(

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
With the dimple to fix stovepipes, it would seemed imho, that the follower maybe tipping to the rear and not feeding properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts