Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wearing the Don Hume H721 Open Top now for a several months, and this holster has exceeded my expectations. The application is CCW.

I've got a drawer full of holsters, and they are all more expensive than this one. But this one's working great for me because it is more comfortable and/or with less printing than the others. It keeps the grip against my ribs with just the right tension to be comfortable.

One concern I had in the beginning was how well it would hold the pistol over time. There are no screws for retention adjustment. I didn't trust it at first, but now trust it completely. Like many leather holsters, this holster came very tight, and now it has loosened some. However, the leather is stiffer than some of the other brands, so expansion is minimal.

Also, it has passes the playing football and trampoline test with flying colors. The pistol never budges. (Alright - you want to know what kind of crazy guy jumps on a trampoline carrying. Well, my kids beg me to jump on the trampoline with them, and I will not unpack unless I absolutely have to - like maybe swimming. :) )

The only issue with this holster is very minor. The leather squeaks when I move. Sometimes I think it's a bit conspicuous, like a fully loaded LEO with all those holsters. But no one seems to notice. And leather is nice.

Because it is very snug against my ribs, I doubt that it would be ideal for competition (IDPA and the like). Getting a grip takes extra effort compared to my other holsters.

Overall, this ones a keeper in my opinion:
http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=44

Oh - and no one at Don Hume paid me to write this glowing report. I'm just sharing my experience for everyone's benefit.

- Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you just made up my mind on a new OWB holster. It was between this and the Fist #9, and i really enjoy my other Don Hume holsters.
Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
905H said:
I think you just made up my mind on a new OWB holster. It was between this and the Fist #9, and i really enjoy my other Don Hume holsters.
Thanks.
You are most welcome -

If the Fist fits anything like the Don Hume, then I would like it too. Both are good looking holsters. The Fist appears to cover a little more of the gun than the Don Hume. As I mentioned above the Don Hume holds my XD40 very well, so less leather on the holster is not an issue for retention.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was looking at the Fist wesite though, and just saw the #9 with a 1 1/2 inch gunbelt as a combo for 100.00 no I am stuck again, I ususally carry IWB so my belt is not exactly the quality I need. I guess I will just have to buy both :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
I, like you have many holsters. I have had the Milt Sparks setup for my 1911's and love their product, however took a gamble and got the 721 as well. It's an outstanding holster. I carry my Service .40 with it, on atv rides, hikes, fishing, etc. cozy, snug and well made. I compliment it with a don hume belt too, some belts are too saggy, but Don's are awesome. Love the high ride and the sweat guard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
does anyone have any experience with the fist belts, (saggy or firm with the weight of a sub-compact XD-40). I only ask because for a fist #9 with their belt for 99.00 is a great deal, however the don hume (who i have had lots of experience with and truly enjoy) is inexpensive enough to actually buy both. However, none of that matters if the Fist line is sub-par. I would like to hear any experiences pro or con.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had experience with the Fist belt.

I purchased a Gunner's Alley belt for about $50. I got the 1 1/4" belt and am very happy with it. It is designed to handle a holster load.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GABELTQUARTER

According to the Fist site, the Fist belts are stiffened only where the holster is carried. The Gunner's Alley belt is stiff the entire perimeter. I think the goal of Fist was to create a belt that looks like a dress belt while functioning like a gun belt.

I wear the Gunner's Alley belt mostly with dress pants, and it's a quality belt. I carry two magazines on my support side. The Gunner's Alley belt can handle all of the weight - regardless of the position of the load. And it is still appropriate for business or dress attire.

-Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another data point for the G-A belt.

I have a 1-1/4" best as well and I love it. It is very stiff and looks good. The only thing that concerns me is that the "wire" (the part that goes through the belt-hole) seems to be a little thin. It may be perfectly fin. It is just something I am going to keep my eye on.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had the H721 myself for both my XD40 sub and my Colt Defender, great holsters! :D

Just bought a double thick Hume belt to go with my Sparks VMII holster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too have the DH 721 for my xd and love it to death. I am not able to carry concealed yet here in TX b/c I am waiting on my CHL. It will be my CCW holster

Mcone, I too had the squeak problem with my holster as I was wearing it around the house and I fixed it with some Bick's leather conditioner available from Cavender's Boot City or any other western wear outfitter. I applied it liberally to the outside and INSIDE and the inside leather is much softer and does not rub my xd anymore.

The gunners alley belts are great as I have a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2", but I bought my directly from the source. The guy's name is Jim and his website is www.thebeltman.net. Great guy to do business with.

Michael W
TX

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mcone said:
Because it is very snug against my ribs, I doubt that it would be ideal for competition (IDPA and the like). Getting a grip takes extra effort compared to my other holsters.
Well- I just started IDPA - finally. It is a blast. And, yes, this holster is slightly difficult to use for high-speed draw in IDPA. Getting my hand on the grip is difficult compared to a Kydex paddle-type holster.

The benefit of using the Hume for IDPA is that it is the holster I use for concealment. Since the goal of IDPA is partially to improve my skills under stress (to simulate self-defense situations), I have decided to continue to use the Hume holster in IDPA.

-Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought this same holster from Old School at Pistol Gear over a year ago and love it. I use it a few times a month for IDPA shoots locally. I agree that it's not the fastest on the draw and its a little more difficult to get your hand in position quickly. I shoot these IDPA "funshoots" with actual carry gear more for the practice and familiarity with my gear than for competition. I even have wore this for weeks at a time hunting in the mountains. Through all of this, the holster seems to retain my XD perfectly snug. I haven't seen any negative loosening yet. For the money, I think this was a great buy.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I too give the Don Hume holsters a thumbs up.

I like their open top IWB holsters w/clips and have four
of them. They do their job well for CC.

Ed

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just changed the picture in the first message of this thread to show my holster after several months of wear. (The original image was from the Don Hume site with a SIG in it.)

The new image was taken today - at least 9 months after I started wearing this holster for constant CCW.

-Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
@ mcone....or anyone who has been using H721 for a while....

I know this thread is VERY old... Do u still have/use H721? What position/o'clock did you wear it?

I just bought H721 OT, and I'm trying to figure out what position works the best.... I'm not sure if it is for me...2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00... None of the positons seem to work well. If I wear CB supertuk @ 5:00, my XD SC disappears. I can keep wearing comfortably even while driving. But, H721...it prints badly so far...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts