Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a test on different gun lubes. I started this test on 9-11 at 5:00pm. Im using 1/8th inch thick steel. Im using blue wonder xfr, blue wonder armadillo, break free clp, hoppes solvent (Ive seen other people using hoppes solvent in their test so i figured I would try even tho its not a lube) hoppes oil, motor oil (valvoline) and one piece of steel with nothing on it. I checked it on mon. at 5 and didnt see anything.. I checked it again today at 5 and seen some results... Blue wonder xfr is rusted the worse..its has more rust on it than the piece with nothing on it. Then the blue wonder armadillo has a few speckles of rust. Everything else is still holding up! Im not trying to talk bad about any of these companies. Actually I use blue wonder xfr and armadillo on my xd..ive heard so many good reviews on it. It just blows my mind that its rusting first... If you guys want to follow this test ill keep posting and i can also take pictures. Just let me know. I would of liked to test more brands but i didnt want to go buy them just for a test.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Pictures with time and date stamp please and thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My camera will only do date or day/time. Ill take a picture tomorrow at 5 pm and try to post it... Wheres a site i can upload my pics?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The possible results might shock those who think that all "oils" are designed to lubricate AND protect.....For instance, cooking oils lubricate but would have very limited if any preservative characteristics. Vaseline, mineral oil and baby oils would be the same way. Graphite and Teflon both have excellent lubricant qualities and are popular oil additives, but neither protect very well on their own. Since it is a waxlike compound, you might find that the ingredients in Blue Wonder Armadillo may need to bond to a "base" element such as paint, blueing or parkerizing in order to uphold its protection capabilities. Due to humidity, the bare metal surface itself should contain a amount of moisture rust. Sealing the bare metal with wax, without displacing the moisture, will also seal in the rust agents. Breakfree CLP carrries both protectant and lubricant properties.

http://imageshack.us/

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I can't be 100% sure, but I'm 98% sure that Blue Wonder XFR is why my barrel rusted. I havn't used it since I got rust (I used it twice with the same results), I stopped using it and I don't have rust anymore. I also started using Blue Wonder Armadillo. Havn't encountered problems with this yet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
rust shmust.... who cares? as long as the gun still works.

i dont see anyone oiling up thier hammers... its a tool just the same.

sry, just had to rant for a second.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried this same type of test.

I cleaned a square flate plate of steel, with gun scrubber.
then applied the oils and let it sit one week inside the house, after that
it was placed outside (in the rain, snow, sun,)and has been there since 12/24/04.
I used
blue wonder xfer
blue wonder armidillo-2 coats
Gun butter
Rem oil
penzol 10w-30
outters gun oil
3 in 1 oil
and nothing...

Hands down the blue wonder Armidillo Won out.
The armidillo was still going strong a few months later.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well checked them today and pretty much looks the same as yesterday.. Heres a pic. Hopefully it wll work. The bottom piece is the one with nothing on it.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
You are using hot rolled steel. There is a lot of residual oils on this, and it is not uniform either along a single bar. If you did not aggressively clean off the surface in the beginning you will have some variation from that.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Springfield said that they think XFR caused my rust problems.

Maybe there's something to their claims.

I used it on my XD Bi-Tone and it rusted. I recently noticed that after using it on my hard chromed XD, it got some surface rust as well.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
therooster said:
rust shmust.... who cares? as long as the gun still works.

i dont see anyone oiling up thier hammers... its a tool just the same.

sry, just had to rant for a second.
Please don't tell me you paid $10 for your XD, or $425 for a hammer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what steel should i use... cold non-rolled steel? Ya I should of cleaned them. I just went to lowes and picked up 1/8"x 1/2" length of steel and cut it up. If i every do another test ill make sure to ask where i can get a piece of dons steel. LOL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My XD shows no signs of rust but im starting to get worried... I may cut a new piece of steel...clean it, soak it in xfr, wipe excess oil off and include it in my test. Im hoping that the armadillo holds up...i like that stuff...as for lube/protection...im undesided what brand i should go with.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I don't know for sure how to clean it 100%, but I do know from buying from my fabricators that surface oil is a problem in hot rolled steel.

I would guess that sanding until most of the dark goes away is a start, then use brake clean or boil it in simple green would/should get it pretty well prepped. I have heard that simple green does work well to prep metal that need to be grease and oil free, but I have no solid experience. Sandblasting should work well too, but still degrease after.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try this - once lubed, place the bars in a zip lock bag with the extra air squeezed out. If ya' really wanna get scientific, you can buy really cheap electronic temp/humidity sensors to place in the bags (like the ones used to monitor food and other products during shipment). Most packing materials catalogs carry these (UPS?).

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'm a carpenter (residential framing). One time I was tired of the rust on my hammer so I cleaned it off. But as mentioned before, the hammer was only 18 bucks. The XD, not so much.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The Tengu said:
Please don't tell me you paid $10 for your XD, or $425 for a hammer.
no... i paid $399 for my XD and i dont have a hammer.

whats your point? because something costs more i'm not going to use it as much?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts