Springfield XD Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We've got three right now.

Oldest is a pound puppy from Greenbrier County, WV SPCA. Picked him up one 3 day weekend while we were at home visiting. He's supposed to be half golden retriever and half black lab.

When we got him I walked through the place twice listening to dogs barking, yapping, growling at me, etc. Bouncing off the gates and walls, etc. I walked by one cage and here's this medium sized, long black furred guy lying on the floor with his eyes closed like he was sleeping. I asked the attendant what was wrong with him and she told me there was nothing wrong with him. I knelt down, rattled the gate and he opened his eyes, looked at me and began wagging his tail. I rubbed his chin a little, he smelled my fingers and I walked on looking at other dogs. Tremendous racket inside that building. I finished and walked back around again and here he is, lying on the floor again with his eyes closed. I rattled the gate again and we repeated the finger licking, chin rubbing thing and I asked if they could let him out. She got a leash and I took him for a walk. Outside he went to the bathroom and we walked around the grounds for a bit. Easy to walk/control and we sat down, talked a little bit, got in some more petting and I realized how bad he smelled (piss/shit/dirt). He was missing a lot of hair on his back and did some scratching/digging.

Well, I paid about $35 for him and we got in the Blazer and headed back to my mom's house. We put a cover on the back seat and I sat back there with him to make sure he took it easy and really didn't need to. He rides like he does it all the time. Still does. Got him back to the house and gave him a good bath to clean him up and get rid of that smell. Took him to the vet first thing when we got down here. Poor guy is allergic to fleas. That's why his hair was falling out on his back/hips. Never heard of a dog being allergic to fleas before.

Smart as hell. He has turned into a chow hound though. Getting on the heavy side, especially this last winter.

Picture of him on the trip back from WV.

Got the second one at the Henrico County Police pound about 3 years ago. Another one with long black/brindle hair. Not sure what he's a mix of. He is, without a doubt, the most intense dog I've ever had. He is the guard. He patrols the property every time I let him out of the pen. He looks at me with eyes so deep you could fall into them. He'd rather be petted/hugged than eat. I have to be careful when he's eating because if I talk to him he'll stop eating and come over to me and one of the other guys will take the opportunity (they both eat faster than he does) to grab some food from his plate/tray. He is so good natured he won't contest them. He barks a lot - with his tail wagging the whole time. He'll bark and then look back at me and then look away and bark again as he tries to tell me there is something out there he needs to check out and I need to be aware of. He runs everywhere he goes. He catches turtles and brings them home to me. He chases cats out of the yard but doesn't seem to want to catch them, he just wants to get them out of "his" yard. He did kill a groundhog last year (groundhogs moved out of the woods and under a couple sheds and he caught one too far from safety and brought it back to the house.

He lays there, in the pen and watches the house. When he hears/sees me coming outside he gets up and runs back to the dog house to wake the other guys up and all three come to the fence to watch me walking out to the pen. He minds better than the other two. He takes turns with the new guy to insure I know about anything/everything that walks/runs/rides up and down the road in front of the house or comes through the lot behind our house.

He's the one on the right. I cut their hair short every summer so they're more comfortable in the heat and easier to comb/keep clean.

The last one was a give away. Went home one weekend and stopped at my wife's aunt's house for a short visit. The ball of white fur comes flying across the road and slides to a stop right by my right leg and looks up wat me with big brown eyes and I started to pet him. My wife's cousin heads off the porch yelling at him to go away and waving a broom in his direction and he moves behind my leg. I asked why she's trying to run him off and she said she's getting tired of feeding him. He belonged to another house/woman on the street but she didn't want him anymore and he was running loose through the neighborhood. She said the woman was looking for someone to give him to. I looked at my wife, she said yes and I walked across the street and knocked on the door. We took him on up to my mom's house for the rest of the weekend and then brought him home with us. He rode home on the back seat (on a big towel) like he did it all the time.

Got him home and the brown/brindle dog (that is normally so easy going) took exception to him for a bit (lots of growling, snapping, bumping, etc) before I put him in the pen. Man, my wife was worried and I tried to tell her that Lucky wouldn't hurt the pup (he was 6 months old) and was just trying to show him who was boss. That night I looked at the back window and in the moonlight it looked like a ghost running/jumping around in the pen and I realized it was the white pup and I couldn't see who he was playing with. The next day he and the brown/brindle dog were just brown with dirt from where they'd been running/rolling/playing all night.

A year and half later he's a big monster (supposed to have been half great pyernees and half st. Bernard but he's pure white, has the black rings around his eyes and the huge dew claws on his back legs. When he leans up against my legs his back is about 4" above my knees (I'm 6'3" tall). When he stands up and puts his paws on my wife his head is level with hers (she's 5'6" tall). No idea what the big lug weighs. Easy going, barks a lot, plays with the other guys real gentle considering his size. Very affectionate. He just crumbles when I get on to him - except when he's eating. When he's eating there is nothing in the world but him and his dish of food.

At 6 months.

This spring. You can see how big he is standing behind a 70 lb. golden retriever/black lab mix. Yeah, he's got the old guy by the back of the neck as they play together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's Molly, my first dog. I inherited her from my girl-friend when she passed away in 2015. Molly is about 14 years old. This little creature is a wonderful companion and gives me great comfort. Now, I know why people like dogs. Thank you Judy for allowing me to care for your little girl....
GEDC0208.JPG

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Gracie was my golden. She passed of cancer last month. I miss her. Last week would have been her 5th birthday. She liked her goose lol. I decided to adopt shortly after. I saw Mac and fell in love. He is a great dog. 9 months old and getting huge! I'm not sure what mix he is. I will be doing a gene test to find out.
IMG_20200111_080512~2.jpg
IMG_20200420_193802~2.jpg
43074.jpeg

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Learned something really strange a couple days ago, about the black/brindle pound puppy.

Every see a dog drop a crumb/treat, or toss them a treat/biscuit and not be able to find it? You point and point and say "it's right there," and point some more and still have to walk closer and closer to the biscuit while the dog looks and smells your finger tip rather than go where you pointed? I've been frustrated by that for more than 20 years and several dogs. If they see my finger tip they're more interested in that finger tip than in going where it's pointed.

Well, the other day I'd laid a biscuit in the grass for the black/brindle dog (he gets his treats outside the pen and the other two get them in the pen - that's another story about dog's personalities). He was making his rounds of the sheds and the woods edge while the other two were in the pen eating their biscuits. I was in the pen putting food in the pans when he came back, wagging his tail, smelling that his buddies had their biscuits and wondering where his was.

I pointed to the biscuit over there in the grass and he just came closer to the fence to "smell my finger." For some reason (I don't know why I did it) I turned my hand flat/level, palm down. I let my fingers drop vertical to point towards the ground and the raised my fingers up and repeated the sort of "shooing" movement a couple times with my hand/arm pointed in the direction of the biscuit. He lost interest in my fingers, turned around and walked about halfway towards the treat and smelled around in the grass. He stopped, turned to look at me and I repeated that motion. He turned once again and walked farther towards the biscuit and then either saw it or smelled it and laid down in the grass to eat it.

I was amazed. Floored. I'd never been able to get a dog to go the direction I wanted him to go by pointing my finger.

I tried it again a couple days later and it worked with him again. I don't know if it will work with the other dogs or not. I've had that buy for 3 years this month and just learned something "new" about him.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^^^^ Hmm, All my dogs have gone in the direction I've wanted them to by me pointing. Especially the hunting breeds. It's how I tell them where to look for game whether it is a rabbit, squirrel or even a mouse.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
The two I have now one “gets” pointing the other not so much.
One will get it when I drop something on the floor(and they werent right there to see it) when I just tap my toe right by the item she will come and snag it up. The other is just stuck on “you” and looking up. He just dont get it. Many times my girl (been with me 10yrs) will understand just “the look” when doing something I want stopped.

As with most animals they can learn amazing things as long as the owner is willing to teach um.
And not be an owner who says that dog is stupid yet they never spent 5 min to teach it what its name is.

An old man who had coon dogs told me many yrs ago.
Dogs know everything their owners taught them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Years ago when I had just started showing Irish Wolfhounds my teacher told me that every trainer gets the dog he deserves. I have always found that to be true, it isn't the dog fault it is the trainer/owner. Over the years I have had to remind myself many times, LOL

Padraig

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Well.....Sababa seems to have learned a new word during the 'Rona lockdown.....

"Lunch" has officially been added to the words he'll respond to, even from deep sleep. :lol:

·
Registered
656 Posts
She's gone. Zoe passed Friday. A combination of things...arthritis, hip displasia, respiratory issues and bloody fluid in her abdomen from something unknown. Twelve years was a good run. She was always happy, extremely obedient, and one of her favorite things was to clear the yard that last time let out every night. She will be missed and never forgotten.
20200510_121525.jpg
20170825_152337.jpg

Here she with her two partners in crime, now all are hopefully together again.
20200517_132330.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
She's gone. Zoe passed Friday. A combination of things...arthritis, hip displasia, respiratory issues and bloody fluid in her abdomen from something unknown. Twelve years was a good run. She was always happy, extremely obedient, and one of her favorite things was to clear the yard that last time let out every night. She will be missed and never forgotten.
View attachment 778339
View attachment 778341

Here she with her two partners in crime, now all are hopefully together again.
View attachment 778363
Sad to hear mountain lover. It's so hard. Sorry for your loss.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts