Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XDSC40 that I use for a carry weapon. I have found that it will rust very easily if I don't oil it daily and heavily. I first noticed the rust spots at the bottom of the rear sight at the dovetail and slide. Then I noticed the pins where rusting, then inside the mag release(on the button inside the grip frame). Today I noticed rust under the slide release(in between the the grip frame). I also spotted some rust in between the trigger bar and grip frame.

I live here in N.FL and work in S.GA. Its hot over 100* with the humidity and I work out side. I sweat all day and my shirt gets soaked and so does the firearm. I clean and oil the firearm daily but it getting to be a pain in the ***.

I don't think LE clean their firearms daily but I might be wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me? I already know if I don't carry that will solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Well LE won't have that problem because they carry OTW. So their gun should not get soaked easily. If you are sweating that much to where the gun is soaked every day I don't think you have a choice. Florida now allows OTW right? Is that an option?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't think so. I know they where trying to pass a bill that allowed permit holders to open carry but I do not know if it passed.
I could carry OTW as long as it was concealed. I is a 3rd degree misdemeanor for a CCW holder to accidentally show there firearm. That is what the new bill was for to decriminalize a accidental showing .

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a cloth that has silicon embedded within. I think it is a Hoppes product. Works fine. I live in the Houston Texas area and we have similar weather conditions. I don't have a problem with rust however.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a cloth that has silicon embedded within. I think it is a Hoppes product. Works fine. I live in the Houston Texas area and we have similar weather conditions. I don't have a problem with rust however.
That is what I originally used to wipe down the gun. It does not work well for getting in between the frame and slide release or mag button. I now use Rem oil and a gun cloth.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Go to Grainger and buy a can of dry silicone oil and spray the snot out of your pistol. The silicone will dry and leave an invisible film on the metal parts although you should wipe off excess. I would spray the gun down once a week.

Other option is to have it refinished in someything like Cerekote or Moly Resin.

·
Registered
340 Posts
No, I don't think so. I know they where trying to pass a bill that allowed permit holders to open carry but I do not know if it passed.
I could carry OTW as long as it was concealed. I is a 3rd degree misdemeanor for a CCW holder to accidentally show there firearm. That is what the new bill was for to decriminalize a accidental showing .

Ya, the new bill was originally to allow open carry but I think that got shot down quickly. They also tried to allow concealed carry on college campuses, and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen

They did decriminalize accidental flashing of a concealed weapon though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip ichy_trigger. I will give the dry silicone spray a shot. Just ordered a can.
Thank you nothing. I will send my firearm out to have coated during the winter, when Im not worried about running across a rattlesnake or water moccasin. Right now I need it on my side. ;)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I started using Eezox after looking at the test results shown on this page:
Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage

I used to use silicon cloth, but I found that it gave a slick feeling (and on grip panels, not such a good thing) and it seemed to allow fingerprints. Eezox will go to a dry state. It states it will clean, lubricate and protect, I only use it as a protection.

The problem with it is the company apparently changed hands recently and they probably got all the vendors disgruntled because it is now very difficult to find. I use to get it from Midwayusa, I got my last batch from Ebay although you can get it from this site: Eezox® Gun Care Products - Order Here - Warren Custom Outdoor

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Eezox looks like it works really well. I may have to give it a try after I use up this can of dry silicon I picked up from Grainger last week.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My Airweight Smith J frames cyl rusts as well . CCW front pocket carry. I don't worry about it. I oil it and hope for the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts