Springfield XD Forum banner

Does your state have a "Make My Day" Law?

• yes

• no

• I don't care cuz no one will ever break into my home

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news for all coloradoans. I see it all the time in this forum about the legal ramifications of using deadly force. Well at least if they are in your home when you kill them (intruder) you are immune from both criminal and civil liabilities.

Colorado Statutes

18-1-704.5 Use Of Deadly Physical Force Against an Intruder (“Make My Day law”)
1. The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own
homes.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical
force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the
dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition
to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited
entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight,
against any occupant.
3. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions or
subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.
4. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of
subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

Does your state have a "make my day" law???

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Here in Mi they are working on a similar law home or ccw if you are threatened.
I know we have what is called "Kingdom Rule "Which doesn't require you to flee in you home and That hopefully will change to every where because currently if you are attacked outside your home if at all possible fleeing is you first duty :evil:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Son of Norway said:
My XD tells me that yes, we have a "Make My Day Law". At least in my house we do.
Your XD talks to you too? Mine generally nags me, "you never take me shooting", "you only buy me the cheap ammo", "your only nice to me when someone is breaking into the house." nag, nag, nag.

In Florida we call it the "Stand your ground Law" I like the "Make My Day" name better. I won't bore you and post the link to the statue. I must have done it a dozen times in other posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts