Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an arsenal slr106cr, the .223/556 AK variant. I reload and hate how this rifle puts sharp perpendicular dents to the case head in the wall.And it didnt always do it. I believe when the brass ejects it is being thrown back and hits the ?? metal assembly that covers top rear of rifle. the part name escapes me , sorry. I'm led to believe this by the brass colored residue left on the suspect impact area. it is the edge of the ak's top rear covering behind where the bolt handle ends up when pulled all the way back. to be precise it seems to be contacting the area of the cover that angles back down toward the lower receiver. it is basically using it like an AR deflector behind the ejection port. any ideas? is the extractor hanging on to the extractor to long? I'm at a loss and would like to shoot this gun a little more often. it gathers dust now.

also it throws brass maybe 20-30 feet lol. anyway way to slow that down???

Thanks Hope someone???? is shooting one of these.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm guessing not many xd owners also own a .223 AK by Arsenal and also reload ammunition.

Let me know what would cause an AK style action to ding brass until it is unusable a second time? it's definetly hitting the top cover, but what would cause it to do so????

any ideas??

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I'm guessing not a lot of people own a 223 Arsenal. Wouldn't surprise me that your brass is getting beat up on the dust cover. To test you could shoot it without the dust cover on, just keep your face back or hip fire it. Personally I wouldn't care about brass getting beat up cause I shoot steel cased in my Saiga.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is correct , the brass is hitting the dust cover. I know this bc brass is visible on the dust cover. I want the brass bc I shoot exclusively reloads. just wondering if polishing this or tweaking that has worked for someone else with the same issue

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am more concerned with the ak style action to the caliber so much. how to slow the action down maybe, like you would with a heavier buffer in a ar platform

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
it's an Arsenal ... your good. Congrats on a fine rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an arsenal slr106cr, the .223/556 AK variant. I reload and hate how this rifle puts sharp perpendicular dents to the case head in the wall.And it didnt always do it. I believe when the brass ejects it is being thrown back and hits the ?? metal assembly that covers top rear of rifle. the part name escapes me , sorry. I'm led to believe this by the brass colored residue left on the suspect impact area. it is the edge of the ak's top rear covering behind where the bolt handle ends up when pulled all the way back. to be precise it seems to be contacting the area of the cover that angles back down toward the lower receiver. it is basically using it like an AR deflector behind the ejection port. any ideas? is the extractor hanging on to the extractor to long? I'm at a loss and would like to shoot this gun a little more often. it gathers dust now.

also it throws brass maybe 20-30 feet lol. anyway way to slow that down???

Thanks Hope someone???? is shooting one of these.

You say, it didn't always do it. What ammo didn't do it. Are your reloads different.

Gas operated guns are generally designed with a narrow range of chamber pressures to ensure the gas operating system operates properly. Any change in ammo my be the cause.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
federal xm855s, Winchester, and reloads. never dinger a case.
same ammo now is destroying it. I care because I reload all of my ammo now. I headspace my cartridges to .002 smaller than chamber for individual rifle including this one and trim to exact length every time with lyman ez trim. I hand weigh all charges every time and set the bullet with ogive seater stem and measure to the ogive, so I know it's not my reloads. I take great care making them.. One day the rifle just started doing it, I like my brass, so I shoot my AR and this one sits in a safe , always.

*** the piston or rod has a bit of a wobble to it when field stripped. is this typical???? in any ak???

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
why not feed it tula ? that thing will eat anything you throw at it !

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why not feed it tula ? that thing will eat anything you throw at it !
it's like pulling teeth to buy manufactured ammo lol. Even the cheap steel cases stuff. if I buy 20$ of steel all I could think about is that's 20/89$ for 1000 lol.

it may resort to that if I ever shoot it again. like i say, it's lonely in the safe lol.

by the way I got it lightly used/ basically new for 500$ out the door,

never see that deal again lol

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
that's an amazing deal bore --- keep her safe the value will do nothing but go up my brother.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Have seen a quite a few wobbly pistons on Ak,s .
AK,s are are designed to have loose tolerances. That is why they have the rep of running under the worst conditions.
Your gun may just be loosing up a little. I suppose you could try to put in a weaker
ejector spring.
How far are your cases fly when ejecting?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I would honestly feel weird about shooting brass cases through an AK

I don't think I have ever shot brass out of my AK's and I got my first one in 1987.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have seen a quite a few wobbly pistons on Ak,s .
AK,s are are designed to have loose tolerances. That is why they have the rep of running under the worst conditions.
Your gun may just be loosing up a little. I suppose you could try to put in a weaker
ejector spring.
How far are your cases fly when ejecting?
20-30 feet. maybe further

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's an amazing deal bore --- keep her safe the value will do nothing but go up my brother.
best part is it was only 200$ cash. 300 was on a chrome p22 that jammed like hell. come to find out polishing the chamber probably would have fixed the issue but I'm much happier with the AK, even being a 556/223

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so I found someone else mentioning the same extractor issues with their slr106cr on a product review. they sent theirs back to arsenal (piston) and the extractor was exchanged out and there destroyed brass quit happening.

This extractor is so strong it creases steel rims even, Strong extractors are good, but this is super strong.

So I call arsenal after finding other who have returned and fixed the issues and they tell me to send them $150 and they will fix it. LOL
Hell nah. I can just buy another piston with a different extractor (kvar or arsenal brand one) for 150 and still have my other , for whatever??

ps. I like to keep my brass BC it is 556/223 not 7.62 AK brass.

I've ran 309-400 more tulls through it now, jamming stopped when I began using ((10)) circle 10 mags exclusively. they are flawless. rims are still being pinched, brass dings still perpendicular to the base about an inch long and being thrown 30 feet LOL. only reason I like my brass is bc it feeds into my AR as well. The arsenal is getting all FC and mixed crap brass and steel from here out.

Other than that it's a 556AK machine. mags make all the difference in reliability in the WORLD.

ps. now it a "collectors rifle" by arsenal website hmmmm--------- a--holes lol buying mags as we speak. any sellers out there hit me up. 20 and 30 round smoke or black ((10)) mags. thanks . and REALLY THANKS ARSENAL, crappy service, great gun!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Split a piece of rubber tubing and line the flare of the top cover with it. This will stop the case creasing for the most part. Some cases are smacked by the charging handle too. Buy 2 new extractors, and a new spring. Trim or weaken the spring to ease the extractors grip or slightly hit reshape a spare one to give it a little more room on the 'grip' side so it won't tear into the case. I had to do this on one of my 5,45 rifles I built. It would almost rip the rim off brass cases. A buffer would also short stroke the action and slow down some of the carriers reward speed. I put a spacer plug in the carrier of the only 5.56 AR i own to increase spring pressure. It would sling brass farther then any other AK i have. About 12-20 feet is about normal.

And you can reload steel cases just like brass...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts