Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about buying a used xd 9 Tactical from a friend .. He sais he has had roughly 200 rounds through it and will sell it for 350 since he bought a new 45 revolver .. What im wondering though .. When you buy a used gun does the lifetime warenty come with it? I know with things like cars and some other things its not the case.. but am just wondering if by chance it might be different with guns.. Thank you much for any replys.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lifetime of the gun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
no, it doesnt. I called springfield and they said the warranty is only for the person who sent in the warranty card. Now, if they didnt do that, and you send it in, then it is for the lifetime you own it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
dsg2003gt said:
no, it doesnt. I called springfield and they said the warranty is only for the person who sent in the warranty card. Now, if they didnt do that, and you send it in, then it is for the lifetime you own it.
Really? Because i swear i remember reading a post on here about a guy who bought an xd second hand, and had some serious issues with it. He called them and they told him that the warranty still applied and after he sent them his gun, they actually sent him back a brand new one because for whatever reason they could not or did not want to repair his oldone.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You don't have to send in a warranty card to get the warranty.....

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Warranty cards are generally for advertising and demographic purposes and usually not required to get warranty service. I have received warranty work from SA on guns for which I did not send the card, and for guns which I did not buy new.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
When I talked to them couple months ago, they said the warrenty is on the gun, regardless of who owns it.

BUT,

According to their info pack that goes with the gun upon purchase.

Paragraph one on the description of the "limited lifetime warrenty"

" Springfield, Inc. warrents to the initial retail purchaser that the products it wells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product............"

Note that it says " ... initial retail purchaser..."

however, later on it also states in the section titled " Disclaimer of Liability" ( half way thru paragraph #2)

" Springfield, Inc. will not be responsible for the results of careless handeling, unauthorized repairs and adjustments, corrosion.........."

Note that it says S.A will not be responsible for ..........corrosion.

And we know what they have been doing for corrosion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Springfield 2 yrs ago and I still have the printed copy. It goes lke this.

My mail :
I have a Mil-spec PB9108 and I bought this used but I don't think the original owner shot more than 500 rds thru it. Would Springfield still honor the lifetime warranty?

SA answer:
Our products have a lifetime warranty. Pretty much, the entire functionality of the pistol is covered. If you would ever have any problems, you would just need to give us a call.

Still not satisfied, I mailed back:
I am not the original owner. Does warranty cover 2nd owner?

SA answer:
If you are having problem, we will do our best to take care of you.

Both mails were answered by Brandy of Customer Service Dept. on Dec 2 and 4, 2003.

So far I have no problem with my SA 1911 and XD so no need to send it to Springfield. It just feel good to know that someone is covering your back.

Hope this helps.

vega

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Interesting! I just read the warranty on an
XD that I just bought today, and it was very
specific in laying down the law, it read:

Warranty is for the original owner/purchaser
and cannot be transferred.

Lot of contradiction on SA's part. Hell, I do
not know whether to believe them or not!

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
dsg2003gt said:
This post is about general warranty information and not specifically about SA's lifetime warranty. Though I own several SA firearms, I am not an expert about the fine points of their warranty. However, I do have a grasp on federal warranty laws.

The following applies to most US products except for cars, boats, planes, houses, etc.

dsg2003gt is right that returning the cards is not necessary to secure your warranty rights on the BASIC warranty. Most companies’ basic warranty is from 90 days to two years. As far as I know, there are no BASIC lifetime warranties from any company. To give one without limitations would be very dangerous to ones bottom line.

Federal law gives the buyer a number of rights with BASIC warranties. The next level of warranties has no federal protections except for the protections given by standard CONTRACT law. These warranties often use the term LIMITED or EXTENDED. They often contain requirements to keep them in force.

My wife’s diamond ring has a limited lifetime warranty that requires her to bring it in for inspection every six months. In the same way SA requires the return of the warranty card to start the limited lifetime warranty. If you don’t return it, after the basic runs out, you can be refused service. The same is true if you are not the original owner.

Of course SA could be more generous with their requirements. However that is up to them.

Points,

BASIC warranties protected by WARRANTY laws – no need to return card.

LIMITED or EXTENDED warranties protected by CONTRACT law – if required, you must return the card.

Philip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts