Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on reloading .40S&W ammo for my XD40, but have heard bad things about reloads in Glocks. Glocks apparantly don't fully chamber the case and in some instances have caused the case to crack and the gun to explode. I have reloaded rifle cartridges for years, but this is first for pistol. I would like some input if the is a specific danger of reloads in the XD.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There was a post on here awith pictures showing case support and i'll try and dig it up. As far as I remember, the XD40 is a fully supported chamber.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
The XD has a fully supported chamber. Ajames has excellent photos of various chambers. The man will rock your boat with information on lots of gun stuff.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yup the XD is fully supported. Reloading is no problem with brass fired in a XD. Just be careful and closely inspect any brass you collect from the range floor if it's not yours.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This past weekend, I reloaded about 400 rounds of .40 S&W, 200 of which have since been shot through a pair of XDs. The results were pleasing: accurate and w/o blowups. Nearly all of the brass was collected from previous XD shooting sessions, though some of it was donated by others at the range who saw me picking up my .40 brass. So long as you actually look over the brass, you should have no problems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
stealthsniper said:
This past weekend, I reloaded about 400 rounds of .40 S&W, 200 of which have since been shot through a pair of XDs. The results were pleasing: accurate and w/o blowups. Nearly all of the brass was collected from previous XD shooting sessions, though some of it was donated by others at the range who saw me picking up my .40 brass. So long as you actually look over the brass, you should have no problems.
You guys are hard core! I'm just starting out with guns, and the thought of reloading cartridges makes me paranoid that I will blow myself up. I think I will just pay the premium price for brand new ones for a while! :-O

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
dtjobrien said:
stealthsniper said:
You guys are hard core! I'm just starting out with guns, and the thought of reloading cartridges makes me paranoid that I will blow myself up. I think I will just pay the premium price for brand new ones for a while! :-O
There is nothing wrong with reloading and its a very common practice, its also very safe if done by knowledgable individuals.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
dtjobrien said:
stealthsniper said:
There is nothing wrong with reloading and its a very common practice, its also very safe if done by knowledgable individuals.

I may be mistaken, but I thought it was pretty much stupid proof with the reloading equipment

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
In no way is it "stupid proof". First of all, there are many factors you have to consider. You have to choose the right recipes wich means the right powder for a particular bullet style, weight, overall length of cartrdige etc...
If you have the right powder, the correct charge, the correct bullet weight and primer for that recipe, you can seat the bullet too deep and be in serious trouble with pressures.

If you use a powder in a 44 magnum designed to be used for a 9mm, you could be in serious trouble. You have to have a good reloading manual and follow the recipes starting at a reduced load working up to what shoots best in your gun while watching for signs of high pressures. If you are pushing the high end of the pressure range and happen to load 1/2 a grain too much powder then you could have a kaboom.

Reloading is safe and fun and can bring out the true potential of your firearms but only when done properly. A $600.00 reloader will not be "idiot proof" if the guy behind the press doesnt know how to set it up and keep an eye on things. Even running out of primers and settling for another brand becuase they are out of your favorite, can lead to increased pressures.

I have a Dillon press that can produce 600 rounds an hour and I still measure my overall cartridge length about every 50 rounds to make sure nothing has changed, I also weigh the first 5 pounder charges every time I start a new batch of ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts