Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question pertains to my use of a laser cartridge for my dry firing.

I finally got to handle and dry fire a Hellcat. I noted that the trigger remains in the rear position until the action of the slide recocks the trigger as happens with a Glock.
With the Glock, at least the one Glock that I own, the firing pin appears to retract away from the primer after striking it.
With my Ruger SR9c, the trigger remains in the pulled position as well, but the striker does not pull back, at least to be flush with the breech face of the slide. This causes, on occasion, for the laser cartridge to remain on after the trigger is pulled.

So, does anyone know if after the striker has ignited the primer does it retract into the slide before the slide cycles back?

I am new to my area and I have not developed a "trusting" relationship with the local gunshop where I think they'd let me load up their pistol with my light cartridge for testing.
I could have done that at the previous shop I frequented, but that was back in California and they ain't ever going to see a Hellcat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This causes, on occasion, for the laser cartridge to remain on after the trigger is pulled.
Some pistols have small springs in front of the striker to achieve that retraction. XD, XD-M calls it "striker dampening spring" - item #30 below.

Most of the guns though rely on gas pressure and mechanical recoil action to retract that pin. More or less, primmer dragging is the result of that pin not going back "in" fast enough.
My Hellcat and Sig P365 don't have that spring, but they work fine with my G-Sight laser.
Even if the the firing pin remains touching the laser rubber, that should not remain under so much pressure to keep the laser on.

Is the striker channel clean of gun powder residue and oil? Do you have a picture of a fired case to see if you have a lot of primer drag?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Two days ago I was showing my Hellcat and laser cartridge to a friend and the laser did not stay on. My assumption would be the striker pin does retract.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That doesn’t sound right. Most modern firearms use a inertia firing system, meaning the pin somewhat floats and unless something is holding it forward it should be below the breach face. I haven’t had a chance to inspect a Hellcat so cannot say for positive, but something just sounds funny. I looked at the schematic and it almost looks backwards. Is the striker and spring with the retainer captive? That would make more sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like I said, that diagram is not for a Hellcat.

In Hellcat (and P365) the striker pin is indeed "free floating" and the laser's rubber end is elastic enough to recoil it back just a bit after the hit.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Like I said, that diagram is not for a Hellcat.

In Hellcat (and P365) the striker pin is indeed "free floating" and the laser's rubber end is elastic enough to recoil it back just a bit after the hit.

I looked up the actual Hellcat diagram.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok, thanks for that video. Just as I thought, the striker spring is captive on the striker assembly unlike the XD’s & XDM where they use two springs just floating on the striker. NOW after watching that I wonder if his plastic sleeve or retaining clips are either broken, has a burr or just has some crud built up. Guess it needs to be disassembled and checked. Ya hear that Old4Eyes? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then I didn't understand your question, sorry. Hellcat is like 90% of the other striker fired pistols...
I have over 30 years of experience with striker fired guns. They all use the plastic sleeve the guy in the video intentionally broke in his sales pitch. I have no doubt he could break any other part in the Hellcat if he tried. What he did in his sales pitch was laughable because the plastic part is fully supported and cannot break in any way besides how he intentionally broke it.

There is a single copy of a Hellcat with 20,000+ rounds through it. There has got to be several hundred thousand guns out there by now and I have never heard of that part breakin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts