Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids!

Help a brutha out here - I like to "try every possibility out" and check a firearm in every potential operating mode.

So I took my unloaded XDm 4.5 in .45 and tested the coolness of the "grip safety" by d!cking around with the trigger. I've only had one handgun in the 26 I've owned that's had a grip safety - a 1911 copy.

So I noticed that if I depressed the trigger without depressing the grip safety, if I later depressed the grip safety the trigger would actuate.

What's your feedback on this? Does the grip safety complete a "circuit" that allows the trigger to actuate? Is it effectively another "trigger" in this regard?

This is purely an academic discussion, not an attack on the design or an attempt to be cute or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
The grip safety allows the sear to actuate with the trigger is pulled as I recall.

So no not really a trigger, but I guess it makes it go boom so you could call it that.

That said if you are at the range and start calling it the grip trigger, you will be laughed off the range so be careful on the terminology

·
Registered
508 Posts
So you are saying that the firing pin moves forward when ONLY pressing the grip safety after having previously pulled the trigger with no grip safety engaged?

That shouldn't happen, as the XDm should require the grip safety and the trigger (to include trigger safety) to be SIMULTANEOUSLY engaged.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying that the firing pin moves forward when ONLY pressing the grip safety after having previously pulled the trigger with no grip safety engaged?

That shouldn't happen, as the XDm should require the grip safety and the trigger (to include trigger safety) to be SIMULTANEOUSLY engaged.
It's my perception that the trigger is actuated when, after the trigger is depressed, the grip safety is depressed. Be advised, I haven't tried this out at the range. I'm hearing the "click" of the trigger and the firing pin indicator is depressing fully into the weapon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grip safety allows the sear to actuate with the trigger is pulled as I recall.

So no not really a trigger, but I guess it makes it go boom so you could call it that.

That said if you are at the range and start calling it the grip trigger, you will be laughed off the range so be careful on the terminology
Because we all have to be really, really careful about what the other Gun Nazi people at the range "think" of us... :rolleyes:

I don't care about "technical correctness" here, I'm just trying to find out how the damn thing works. It's just curiosity, not 15 minutes in front of my D.I. from Basic.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
so to be clear, you are asking "if the trigger is pulled and held down, will pressing the grip safety set it off?"

·
Registered
169 Posts
<flame on> POW the quality of your pictures is appalling ...
<flame off>

Seriously though, nice explanation. Very thorough.
OP you should not be able to fully depress your trigger without the grip safety engaged. Are you able to?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's my perception that the trigger is actuated when, after the trigger is depressed, the grip safety is depressed. Be advised, I haven't tried this out at the range. I'm hearing the "click" of the trigger and the firing pin indicator is depressing fully into the weapon.
gotcha....i didn't think i was getting what you were saying. Interesting question.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grip Safety = Blocks the Sear or prevents downward movement of the Sear when active.

Sear = Holds the Striker back. When you pull the trigger the sear moves downward releasing the striker. ***The grip safety has to be engaged(gripped) for that to happen***

Striker Safety Block = Blocks the Striker full forward travel preventing it to hit the primer. The Striker Safety is normally in a downward position with the force of a spring. It only goes up, when the trigger is pulled, the striker safety lever pushes it.

Quality stuff, POW. Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If your XDm is firing by depressing the trigger without depressing the grip safety followed by depressing only the grip safety, then you need to send it back to SA. I just verified this does not happen on my XDm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will say if you continue to apply pressure to the trigger and then engage the grip safety you can fully depress the trigger. Not sure if this is maybe what you were experiencing?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Because we all have to be really, really careful about what the other Gun Nazi people at the range "think" of us... :rolleyes:

I don't care about "technical correctness" here, I'm just trying to find out how the damn thing works. It's just curiosity, not 15 minutes in front of my D.I. from Basic.
Somebody had spongebob's crabby patties tonight for dinner. ;)

As posted the grip safety depressed allows the sear to make its full motion of travel.

They do not need to be depressed simultainously or in any certain order. As long as there is pressure on the trigger and the grip safety is depressed

·
Registered
786 Posts
with my XD9 service which is sitting next to me as I just tried it.
pull trigger with out grip safety depressed= no action
depress grip safety after pulling trigger = no action
hold trigger pulled and then depress grip safety = no action
hold trigger pulled then depress grip safety then pull more on trigger = striker fires

after every try the next thing tried was to depress grip safety when pull trigger = striker fired
This is WHAT HAPPENS WITH MY XD!

Hope this helps answer you question I think you should contact Springfield customer service be for going hot with that weapon again

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I am sorry POW but I have to strongly disagree and say a gun is defective if you first pull the trigger and then the gun fires when the grip safety is depressed afterwards. The only way the gun should work is if you are properly gripping the grip and safety and then pull the trigger. Any other way is an unsafe condition.

The reason for the grip safety is to prevent an AD. If you first press the trigger and then press the grip safety, That is an AD. In this condition you could accidently pull the triggerwhen holstering your firearm (Glock hip?), and then when you do a proper draw, have the gun go off at the wrong time. Like in the holster and into the shooters leg.

Get that gun back to SA asap if this is what is happening. Take it to the range and under controled testing see if it indeed fire under the conditions you have stated in the OP. BTW I would only use a piece of primed brass, no bullet or powder to conduct this test. Be very carefull.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Just tried mine, also ... If your gun is doing as you seem to be describing, send it to SA.
Something is wrong !!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hey boltstop, these guys are nice for trying but they are all wrong. There are three little elves inside of every XD. They are all tied down with little magical ropes. One is tied to the grip safety. One is tied to the trigger safety. The last one is tied to the sear. When you grip the pistol, the first elf runs to the "magic door" and inserts his key. The door won't open. As you depress the trigger safety, the second elf is freed and meets the first elf at the magic door. He puts in his key and turns it but because there is still an empty keyhole, it won't open. Finally as the trigger is fully pulled and the sear drops, the third elf is let loose and runs to the magic door. They all turn their keys at the same time and the door opens. Out comes the "magical ball of doom" and it bounces around inside the gun. Two of the elves remember that only their magical ropes will protect them from the ball of doom so they run back to their respective positions and tie themselves up. Only the grip safety elf stays at the door to make sure the ball of doom finds the escape hatch at the end of the barrel. Such a brave elf he is. The magical ball of doom finally sees the light pouring in from the end of the barrel and it throws itself out towards the target. As you pull the trigger again, it all starts over. Amazing, really.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Elves. I knew it!

I used to work someplace where a little green man inside the Pitney Bowes machine had to lick hundreds of envelopes a day. Those elves have it easy.

Also: tested my unloaded XDM, and the elves are functioning properly.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Tested my XD45c...working fine. Like I needed an excuse to get a gun out of the safe!;)

About those elves...do they only speak Croat? I can't understand a word they say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts