Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words if your state comes under martial law for any reason does it mean that you are no longer allowed to carry concealed? Just something to think about. I am still searching for a definitive answer in my state.

Also, if martial law occurs many NERVOUS military and out of state police are going to come into your state and they are going to be stopping people for searches and asking lots of questions. My point being, if these nervous people catch you with a concealed weapon it might become a shoot first and ask questions later situation.

This nervous factor might make you want to think about how you want to carry during a martial law/ bugout situation even if it is legal.

Bassicaly, if it is legal to carry during martial law in your state you could still get shot by a nervous person while you are explaining the the law.

Like I said it's just something to think about.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In other words if your state comes under martial law for any reason does it mean that you are no longer allowed to carry concealed? Just something to think about. I am still searching for a definitive answer in my state.

Also, if martial law occurs many NERVOUS military and out of state police are going to come into your state and they are going to be stopping people for searches and asking lots of questions. My point being, if these nervous people catch you with a concealed weapon it might become a shoot first and ask questions later situation.

This nervous factor might make you want to think about how you want to carry during a martial law/ bugout situation even if it is legal.

Bassicaly, if it is legal to carry during martial law in your state you could still get shot by a nervous person while you are explaining the the law.

Like I said it's just something to think about.
dont be rediculous, no one is going to shoot you unless you are brandishing your weapon and threatening them or someone else.

during martial law, the law is what the military TELLS YOU the law is. so try to explain "the law" to a guy with an m16 during chaos, tell me how it works out for ya.

martial law is not a set of written rules. martial law is the military is now the supreme authority and will do whatever it deems necessary to resolve a situation. any and all civil rights can be suspended until the martial law is over. if they say no guns and you start carrying, you will likely be arrested if caught. i suppose if things were REALLY REALLY bad, they could say anyone seen with a weapon will be shot on sight....but things would have to be completely ****ed for that to happen (like 28 weeks later when they tell the snipers on the roofs to shoot anything that moves....human or not).

so to answer your question, martial law supercedes EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont be rediculous, no one is going to shoot you unless you are brandishing your weapon and threatening them or someone else.

during martial law, the law is what the military TELLS YOU the law is. so try to explain "the law" to a guy with an m16 during chaos, tell me how it works out for ya.

martial law is not a set of written rules. martial law is the military is now the supreme authority and will do whatever it deems necessary to resolve a situation. any and all civil rights can be suspended until the martial law is over. if they say no guns and you start carrying, you will likely be arrested if caught. i suppose if things were REALLY REALLY bad, they could say anyone seen with a weapon will be shot on sight....but things would have to be completely ****ed for that to happen (like 28 weeks later when they tell the snipers on the roofs to shoot anything that moves....human or not).
You might want to think about your answer for awhile. All you gave are hard and fast answers based on the law as you know it. You are expecting everyone to play by the law. Sometimes the law makes decisions that are wrong.
Once again, you might want to think about the best way to stay alive in a NERVOUS situation..By the way Arizona put something in their law that deals with concealed carry during martial law. So if what I am saying is so riduculous why did they cover it???
Are you totally sure that martial law supercedes all law...Show me the legal statute!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

you can google it all day. you will not find anything that contradicts it. martial law is simple. local police, state law, and federal law are no longer the governing authorities.

nervous situation? martial law is not automatically a safety off shoot anything that moves scenario. we have enough training and common sense to not be kiling people for simply admitting they have a weapon unless it was following a lawful order. that would land us in jail charged with crimes under the UCMJ.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You may want to read it again because it says "In strict dictionary terms, martial law is the suspension of civil authority and the imposition of military authority. When we say a region or country is "under martial law," we mean to say that the military is in control of the area, that it acts as the police, as the courts, as the legislature. The degree of control might vary - a nation may have a civilian legislature but have the courts administered by the military. Or the legislature and courts may operate under civilian control with a military ruler. In each case, martial law is in effect, even if it is not called "martial law.". Your "local police, state law, and federal law are no longer the governing authorities" is wrong.

MN is currently looking at changing the carry laws here and there is wording in it that says they can't take your guns away for any reason.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Wether or not it does, it DIDN'T stop the NOPD from seizing guns from motorists trying to evacuate or from those that bugged in.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
After the mess during Katrina many states passed laws protecting citizens and the 2nd amendment, but that doesn't mean the military will follow the law of the state or they may follow orders of the military officer in command. IMO, if it comes down to shooting, I wouldn't bet against the military shooting first and asking questions later, if my life were on the line. "Oath Keepers" or not, an order to maintain order will probably be enforced and our federal government has no problem shooting unarmed people, just ask osama - not that he didn't get what he deserved, or Randy Weaver or the people at Waco. I'm just saying! The federal government will do anything to stay in control, right or wrong!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Dont know about martial law, but here in Florida during a state of diaster, you are not allowed to conceal carry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Martial law is basically the military coming in and saying that they can do whatever they want because they have guns. Martial law is not law at all, it is the rule of men.

Even a foreign military or a sufficient number of armed civilians could do it.

What does happen lawfully are states of emergency, and that differs from state to state. In some states, CCW permits are automatically meaningless once the state declares the emergency. In others, the state has the option of restricting carry if they choose to. In a few states, they are restricted from restricting carry to varying degrees.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This conversation takes me back to the day we (BLT 3/1) rolled into L.A. after the Rodney King debacle...and Somalia...been there done that...it's not about who has the guns rules the land.

On a side note, I'm gonna have to read up on the AZ bit someone mentioned. I don't remember reading anything about that.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Lets say we have another terrorist attack... And the _____ really hits the fan. Would you seriously give up your arms because the army said so? What about the Zombie apocalypse!!!!! You know it's coming!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
In Michigan, A "State of Emergency" does not authorize seizure lawfully owned weapons:

AN ACT to amend 1945 PA 302, ...Sec 1, (3) Subsection (1) does not authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms, ammunition,
or other weapons.

AN ACT to amend 1976 PA 390: "...Sec 5, (2) Subsection (1) does not authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms or ammunition."

I did not find anything specifically referencing 'Marshal Law"

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I find it almost ironic that if Marshall law were declared, the govt would consider disarming its law-abiding citizens. It seems like this would be the time we would most likely encounter bad guys, and need our weapon.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

Don't bet your life on that one!

Man shot by off-duty officer is in an induced coma - Philly.com

"Philly cop"

'nuff said. They don't follow the constitution, or normal laws anyway. I would MUCH rather have a discussion with an 18 year old buck private holding an M16 during declared Martial Law than a 17 year veteran of the Philly PD.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I find it almost ironic that if Marshall law were declared, the govt would consider disarming its law-abiding citizens. It seems like this would be the time we would most likely encounter bad guys, and need our weapon.
It seems like you are thinking our government trusts us or has our best interests at heart. If there is a declared state of emergency or Martial law is declared gun owners are the enemy as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts