Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they say that imitation is the best form of flattery, but this is too much. Chinese copy of the 228??!? Im sorry, but NO!

Am I alone here?

Marstar Canada: Norinco NP-34 'P228 Type' 9x19mm Handgun

If you look at the side bar, it looks like Norinco has been making lots of copies of quality pistols.

I dont know about you guys, but I don't think I would ever want to buy a chinese copy over the real deal. If that means I cant have it "now" then so be it!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm afraid Norinco doesn't care what we think, b/c they can't export firearms to the US :eek: The Chinese also have no reservations about copying designs, as they are free from the reigns of our American litigation.

With that being said, Norinco makes some great firearms, so I would expect that it would be a decent quality piece. I know from experience that their 1911s, AKs, and SKS rifles are wonderful. However, I like the older SIGs enough that I'd still spring for the original even if I had the choice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd like to check them out especially if parts from the originals will interchange and the price was right about 10 years or so ago i had a DAK which was a conadian copy of a sig 228 and it was a really good shooting gun i wish i still had it ive never saw another one since . the conadian DAK has nothing to do with the dak in use by sig either by the way .

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
10 years ago it might have been a good deal, it would be about half the list cost in US dollars.

In todays dollars there is no way i would pay that for a norinco, when i can buy a used west german made for not a ton more, granted it maybe 50 % .... but thats fair.

I dont think most chinese stuff is cheap enough to get my money most of the time.

I think its one thing to buy government surplus, its another when government enterprises with slave labor sell / compete with private companies, and they dont even have a license to copy the product, and sig gets no royalties.

Just allot of bad, very little good.

I would much rather have a $500 real sig CPO p226.

If this gun was $100 it would be compelling, not enough to make me pro slave labor (i dont mean folks paid regional appropriate wages like nike does, i mean ACTUAL SLAVES by the government).

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think its one thing to buy government surplus, its another when government enterprises with slave labor sell / compete with private companies, and they dont even have a license to copy the product, and sig gets no royalties.

<snip>

If this gun was $100 it would be compelling, not enough to make me pro slave labor (i dont mean folks paid regional appropriate wages like nike does, i mean ACTUAL SLAVES by the government).
You're missing the very big point that Norinco is owned by the Chinese military and all profits from Norinco sales go to finance the Chinese war machine.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Surprised y'all haven't raised a ruckus over the CZ99.
I'd buy it. If it was reasonably priced, I'd buy one and keep as a loaner or field gun. Could be fun. Copy or not, all i care is that it works. A lot of guys drool over the Rock Island 1911's. I don't really see a difference in the two situations.

As far as Norinco is concerned, I saw one of their 1911's in the local shop the other day. It had been reworked, but by appearance it doesn't seem to be a bad gun. If you get too hung up on the nostalgia of certain guns, you miss out on enjoying a lot of other guns that are basically copies of something else. It's kind of like a Colt SAA. It would be awesome to own one, but there's nothing that says owning an Uberti or Ruger copy couldn't be just as fun.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
10 years ago it might have been a good deal, it would be about half the list cost in US dollars.

In todays dollars there is no way i would pay that for a norinco, when i can buy a used west german made for not a ton more, granted it maybe 50 % .... but thats fair.

I dont think most chinese stuff is cheap enough to get my money most of the time.

Just allot of bad, very little good.

I would much rather have a $500 real sig CPO p226.

I'd much rather have the real deal, even if it is used.
If you're looking for cheap Sigs talk to Jmichna. He might be able to give you some tips :) http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/95841-sig-226-i-think-i-done-good.html:)

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
considering the choices a consumer has i agree, used sigs for good fair low price are everywhere.

New m-14's not so much.

to bad i cant just drive across the river and buy one.

though if china can make it for $399, i wish the guys that makes RIA would make them in the phillipines for $450 -550. so as to cut the damn chinese out.

can one purchase a license to produce the m14 ?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
considering the choices a consumer has i agree, used sigs for good fair low price are everywhere.

New m-14's not so much.

:lol: So what was that about Chinese slave labor?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

New m-14's not so much.

though if china can make it for $399, i wish the guys that makes RIA would make them in the phillipines for $450 -550. so as to cut the damn chinese out.

can one purchase a license to produce the m14 ?
I'm sure one could purchase a manufacturer's license and copy it. So long as you don't infringe on SA trademarks. You'd have to name is something off the wall. How about the BBM1a14?

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
:lol: So what was that about Chinese slave labor?
my hands are already soiled, i bought a norinco sks when i was 13/14 in 1992.

I am already soiled.

I was saying a $399 chinese sig isnt much of a dela considering the price of a perfectly bullet proof genuine west german sig. I did say if it was $100 it would be compelling value, i left that as an out. The fact some where along the line there is likey slaves involved makes it unbearable to pay almost as much as a guilt free west german sig used.

I am sure i have chinese crap sourced in all sorts of stuff i have been buying for 15 years not gun related. I wish it wasnt that way, trust me. I will gladly pay a premium to avoid chinese stuff, i can proudly say i have only been in wall mart in big rapids michigan from huting camp, and it wasnt my choice to go there. I really do avoid chinese stuff.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
i just looked up the retail of one of the more modest fulton armory m14.

$2499

M14Rifles

thats to rich for my blood right now.

I would rather have a raggidy CMP, or like i said if a company like armscor/RIA etc would make new m14 for under $600 whoo hoo i would be all over that.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Taurus made a bit of money building Beretta clones...wonder what that money went to...
"Clones" denotes near complete interchangeability. Taurus purchased the Beretta factory and used the drawings as a starting point for their upgraded pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'll keep my sigs.... something about them when you hold one in your had just says "quality" and superb workmanship.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts