Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to wear a IWB holster and I have noticed my belt notch creep from one hole to the next, eventually to the tightest spot even though I haven't changed a bit.

Now I picked up a BH Serpa CQC 2 holster and used the belt attachment. I guess I can see why you would need it there, but what about the paddle attachment?

I bought 2 BH CQC belts and am now trying to gauge was it a good purchase seeing that I like the paddle. So was it worth it and was it necessary for a gun belt with a paddle holster?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't think so. I use the cheap paddle holster that came with my XDm along with a regular belt and that thing doesn't move.

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
What do you think is going to hold up the holster? Friction?

Of course the belt matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I know A belt matters. I'm just trying to figure out of a gun belt matters.

I tried it with one of my old stretched belts. Feels like its holding strong. So now I'm just trying to figure out if it was worth the purchase.

Sure, if I decide to go back to the belt loop it will come in handy. But like IWB I don't think the belt will matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wbhardeman,

I have the exact holster you're talking about. Technically you do not need a belt for it at all, gun belt or otherwise. I have worn it with a pair of jeans and no belt whatsoever and it worked fine; although, to be honest, the jeans were tight so it didn't have much wiggle room anyway.

However, in general, I would say wearing a belt ( as I mentioned, practically any leather belt will do) is recommended simply because it gives the holster "teeth" a little more to grab.

Take care,

Goose

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had the same question before i bought a good gunbelt, I didn't think that it would really make THAT big a difference.
Once i bought a good gunbelt (crossbreed) I was eating my words. A good belt will spread the weight and support the gun much more than a "normal" belt will.
Plainly put once you try it, you will understand. That is really all i can say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link. I just don't think anyone is getting what I'm saying other than Goose. The video shows him hanging a weight from the belt (as with a holster that is attached to the belt).

Im using a paddle. Its not attached to the belt. It sits between my hip and jeans (the paddle part) with the holster on the other side of the jeans.

I tried it with my old stretched belt and there seems to be no difference between the gun belt and Target (chain store) belt.

So is this on of those instances where a gun belt is moot?

Now, I have had to buy several belts because they get stretched out, but this has been over the years and not necessary to gun use. When I word IWB it did exaggerate the stretching. Im not saying Ill never use IWB but I like the paddle a lot so unless I CC then Ill stick to the paddle.

I switched to the paddle today and its comfortable, so no belt loops for me.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts

Agreed, a good gunbelt will be perform better for all holsters i would think.
I concur..
The belt matters with any pistol in any belt holster.

Thanks for the link. I just don't think anyone is getting what I'm saying other than Goose.
We get it, you just don't like the answers you're receiving.
Despite your method of belt carry, the weight of the pistol is still supported by the belt.

Try your cheap belt, if works, good for you.
If not, take the suggested advice and use a decent gun belt.

Seems quite simple...;)

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
I concur..
The belt matters with any pistol in any belt holster.

Despite your method of belt carry, the weight of the pistol is still supported by the belt.

Seems quite simple...;)
Exactly.

Like I said--friction ain't gonna hold your pants up when the weight of your paddle holster starts pullin' 'em down. And a bad belt will just start to sag with the weight (yes, your paddle holster does ride on the belt), making it uncomfortable, making you want to constantly adjust your pistol (because it's headed for your knees), and, all in all, make you wish you'd gotten a decent belt.

If you think your cheap belt will work, good for you...but most of the folks here that have a hell of a lot more experience carrying than you do know that it likely won't.

Your call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly.

Like I said--friction ain't gonna hold your pants up when the weight of your paddle holster starts pullin' 'em down. And a bad belt will just start to sag with the weight (yes, your paddle holster does ride on the belt), making it uncomfortable, making you want to constantly adjust your pistol (because it's headed for your knees), and, all in all, make you wish you'd gotten a decent belt.

If you think your cheap belt will work, good for you...but most of the folks here that have a hell of a lot more experience carrying than you do know that it likely won't.

Your call.
So this is exactly what I was asking. To me it seems as if the paddle holds the holster and the belt holds the paddle against your hip. Now if youre telling me that the holster sits against the belt too then it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just bought a Tommy Hilfiger belt from Ross for $12.99 (reg $49.99) made of thick bonded leather and approximately 1-3/8" wide. An affordable alternative that feels like a solid gun belt. I do not carry so can't give you a full review but trying it at home, it holds 200% better than my regular belts.

Worth a try before paying $80.00 or so for gun belts.

·
Premium Member
127,399 Posts
Once I started wearing a true gun belt I got used to the extra support...even when I wasn't carrying a gun! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a Tommy Hilfiger belt from Ross for $12.99 (reg $49.99) made of thick bonded leather and approximately 1-3/8" wide. An affordable alternative that feels like a solid gun belt. I do not carry so can't give you a full review but trying it at home, it holds 200% better than my regular belts.

Worth a try before paying $80.00 or so for gun belts.
i paid about $25 for a blackhawk CQC pistol belt 1.5". So while I did see some 60-150 gunbelts, I didn't opt for them either. The BH belt is awesome. When I was carrying using the belt loop I could take my belt off, or when I went to the bathroom the belt stayed in a circle shape. My weapon remained upright. I remember trying this with my regular belt. Soon as it was unbuckled it flopped to its side. The even off, the belt keeps that circular shape.

So quality doesn't have to come at an expense. Plus they are stylish. Carbon fiber, alligator, lizard or plain. They all look good.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Once I started wearing a true gun belt I got used to the extra support...even when I wasn't carrying a gun! ;)
Me too..
I wear a 3 stitch Wilderness Instructor at work carrying a Surefire E2E and Leatherman Wave.
I wear a 5 stitch Wilderness Instructor when I OWB carry.

3 belts in the pics...
Top to bottom.
Wilderness Instructor nylon belt
K&D leather gun belt
Cheapo store leather belt

Which do you think will give more support?
I'd say the top two..:cool:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Opinions are like body orifices... everybody has them, if you like the belt you use and it works for you then thats all that matters. One point to mention is body size and shape, the same setup for one guy may not be so great for the next guy, thats why everyone picks what THEY like.

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
Opinions are like body orifices... everybody has them, if you like the belt you use and it works for you then thats all that matters. One point to mention is body size and shape, the same setup for one guy may not be so great for the next guy, thats why everyone picks what THEY like.
Yes, but there opinions, and informed opinions.

Big difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Seems quite simple...;)
This is funny to me, guy is asking advice, but has his own point. Now ironically there isn't anyone that understands his question except for the guy who agrees with his point LOL...

Gun belt is WELL worth the money, it makes a huge difference for me, and to be honest I prefer my gun belt over any other belt I own even when I am not carrying. For the record I have the Tactical Wilderness 5 stitch original instructors belt. Cost was between $50 - $55 shipped to my door, and had it in a week. Its an awesome belt!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts