Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great! Is there a color range you will have available, or only silver?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
How durable is the ion bond on the slide vs the barrel. Do you have any pictures of Ion bonded slides with OD frames. I'd like to know what an FDE slide would look like on an OD frame. That shouldn't be too hard to pull off with all the slides and frames you have laying around in your shop. I'd really appreciate a pic. (might earn you a customer if it looks good.)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How durable is the ion bond on the slide vs the barrel. Do you have any pictures of Ion bonded slides with OD frames. I'd like to know what an FDE slide would look like on an OD frame. That shouldn't be too hard to pull off with all the slides and frames you have laying around in your shop. I'd really appreciate a pic. (might earn you a customer if it looks good.)
We do not stock or have any OD frames and we don't have any in the shop currently. If someone sends one in, I'll snap a photo. The coating is an industrial grade tool coating and wears very well.

This slide has seen over a years worth of practice and competition use.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Do you guys remove the stock finish before ion bonding?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the coating is bonded directly to the base metal, so the preparation we do requires the parts are 100% clean. Any previous surface coatings are removed in this process.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Next question is: Can you leave a two-tone finish? Like, leave the slide grips black?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The coating is only for metal parts, so you can not coat the plastic grip (frame) on the XD/XDM.

I could be wrong but I think he meant the grooves on the slide in the front and the back that you hold when racking slide back. Maybe he wants to leave them black? Oh hell, I don't know.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I could be wrong but I think he meant the grooves on the slide in the front and the back that you hold when racking slide back. Maybe he wants to leave them black? Oh hell, I don't know.
That's exactly what I meant. I don't know of any slides on the frame or grip :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts