Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think SA will make the sub-compact as a XDm is the future ?
I'm sure they don't release information, but are there any reasons why they would not ?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Do you mean that you want one w/ a 3" barrel? If not, they already offer the xdm 3.8 w/ a short grip.

As to an even smaller xdm, they are always looking for ways to make a buck. If they can get a single stack series to work, they will. If they can work out any bugs in a 3" barrel, odds are they will wait a few months/years and release it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
cant find the last thread, but this question was asked just a few weeks ago and the consensus was there is no reason to make the 3.8 compact and smaller.

it would be the same gun with 3/4 of an inch less length in the slide/barrel, definitely not worth doing

the next thing from the XDm Line should be a single stack compact or a .45 in 3.8, preferably compact

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes , the 3" is best for my form of carry. But would like the upgrades of the XDm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 o'clock IWB . Now have a very early PPK . The sub-compact is very close in size except wider width.
That size is very comfortable for me, almost forget it is there. (bending, sitting)
Have tried the 3.8 in store, tucked in without holster, and did seem to feel the differance.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
1 o'clock . Now have a very early PPK . The sub-compact is very close in size except width is wider.
That size is very comfortable for me, almost forget it is there. (bending, sitting)
Have tried the 3.8 in store, tucked in without holster, and did seem to feel the differance.
Apendix carry? Eh, I could see where you may feel it, but I wouldn't think much.

Any reason you didn't try the XDm in your existing holster? Most XD holsters will take the XDm. Might be worth trying again with your holster as mexican/no holster does feel differant.

Good luck on making the XDm work for you. If your holster has can't adjustment, you could definitly make that 3/4" go away.

Unfortuintly though, I don't see SA cutting down the XDm more than 3.8

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortuintly though, I don't see SA cutting down the XDm more than 3.8

Too bad, I just want the best of both worlds.

Right now, just shopping for my first XD or XDm. Don't have the right holster.
I would prefer the 3.8 but not sure if it would be right for me. I know 3/4" doesn't sound like much, but full time carry must be comfortable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck on making the XDm work for you. If your holster has can't adjustment, you could definitly make that 3/4" go away.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Am considering the Crossbreed Quick Clip for this application. When it comes time.
Sorry have to edit. I meant the Mini Tuck havn't looked at it in a while.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I am a huge fan of crossbreed, but have tried them in an appendix carry type setup and the holsters don't feel good to me.

IMHO, there are better holster for appendix carry.

Is there a reason why a supertuck @ 3:00/4:00 won't work? I would venture to guess 80% of us here carry in the 3-5 range and it works well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crossbreed told me the Mini Tuck was their best for appendix carry. Have you tried it ?
Would also consider the IMHO, but not familiar with it. Tried to find information on it, but not clear. Is it a make or style ?
I know am in the minority with the appendix carry. It just seems less print as the gun sits in hip socket,
and just enough belly roll with close fitting t-shirt. Tring to go baggier but that takes an extra size and is too big.
3:00 sticks out on the hip, not comfortable. 4 or 5 seems behind me, don'tlike that option in a crowd or in a vehicle.
Have praticed draw sitting down at 1:00, even crawl under vehicle to work on it and be able to roll around with out getting in way.
May ride up slightly in these situations, but can discreetly touch it back down.
The only way to truely know if i could change carry style (which i have considered) is to buy the right holster to try it for a while.
I try to remain open, but now need to stay with what works for me.
But my budget is limited. In time maybe. Tring to get educated online first, while saving for the SA gun first.
Figured i would take these questions to the ccw forum in time.
I do appreciate your knowledge and help.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Crossbreed told me the Mini Tuck was their best for appendix carry. Have you tried it ?
Would also consider the IMHO, but not familiar with it. Tried to find information on it, but not clear. Is it a make or style ?
I know am in the minority with the appendix carry. It just seems less print as the gun sits in hip socket,
and just enough belly roll with close fitting t-shirt. Tring to go baggier but that takes an extra size and is too big.
3:00 sticks out on the hip, not comfortable. 4 or 5 seems behind me, don'tlike that option in a crowd or in a vehicle.
Have praticed draw sitting down at 1:00, even crawl under vehicle to work on it and be able to roll around with out getting in way.
May ride up slightly in these situations, but can discreetly touch it back down.
The only way to truely know if i could change carry style (which i have considered) is to buy the right holster to try it for a while.
But my budget is limited. In time maybe. Tring to get educated online first, while saving for the SA gun first.
I have tried a minituck with a keltec PF9 and didn't like it in the appendix area, but it might just be me

The IMHO is wording, it means "In My Humble Opinion" its not a holster, I just know there are holsters designed specifically for appendix carry.

Go with what feels good to you. I just know that a lot of members here find the 3-5 location to work very well

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote : The IMHO is wording, it means "In My Humble Opinion" its not a holster

Just got back to the computer, usally just weekends

BOY, that was a good laugh on me. You can tell i don't send lots of time on the computer or texting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Quote : The IMHO is wording, it means "In My Humble Opinion" its not a holster

Just got back to the computer, usally just weekends

BOY, that was a good laugh on me. You can tell i don't send lots of time on the computer or texting.

Thanks.
Lol, no biggy, still glad to help.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
May have to check acronyms thread more often.

Still would like that 3.8 just for the match barrel & the 3/4 inch will give just a little longer accuracy. Just use to and like the 3" length for carry.
Just got the wifes crossbreed super tuck (LCR) will play with it to try the 4:00 at least, but it is the wrong hand. Hard to tell.
Right now thinking of going with the 3.8 and will just have to try differant holsters. Just hate to lose that 1:00 if i can't make them work.
I would just have to start over with the practice.
Oh, golly that would be a terrable thing.

Back to work, so plan on saving up real soon. SA is going to send me their newest literature, as it leaves print in about 30 days.
Hope to know which way i may go by then. May post more ?'s, have longer weekends the next two, to play on here.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I doubt it very much. I read somewhere that they figured the 3.8 barrel is not much harder to conceal but offers better accuracy so they went with that as their most compact size.

I'd like a regular XD SC in 45.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw something along those lines at the SHOT show in Vegas this year.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was in the same position as you. I carry 1:00 AIWB, but that extra .8" ends up jabbing you in the inside of the thigh. For this method of carry, I have to stick to 3" barreled carry guns. So I took my xd9sub and added a springer precision trigger kit and truglo TFO sights. It is now better than a 3.8 in my opinion. I use a straight drop leather iwb holster like the don hume h715 that works well for me even with a light t-shirt.

Other guns in my carry rotation that work in the same fashion and holster style are Kimber ultra covert II and walther PPS...

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts