Springfield XD Forum banner

Do you shoot with both eyes open or one eye closed?

• both eyes open

• one eye closed

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started shooting I shot with one eye closed. When I took an NRA course it was recommended to shoot with both eyes open to be able to see your surroundings. I have been practicing focusing in on the sights and shooting with both eyes open and wanted to know what everyone else around here does.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i have shot with one eye open since i started shooting...i have been trying to get myself out of the habit. Hard to train for both eyes.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Scary!!!! Went shooting the other day and noticed my left eye was closing slightly and my right eye was opening some. Now what's a one eyed fatman doing that for? :shock:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I shoot with one eye closed. I am trying to learn to keep both eyes open. For my competition shooting it's the fastest way to aquire your next target. I fear I may be too old to learn any new tricks though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
bobert1 said:
I shoot with one eye closed. I am trying to learn to keep both eyes open. For my competition shooting it's the fastest way to aquire your next target. I fear I may be too old to learn any new tricks though.
I'm not an old dog (relatively speaking) but after shooting guns for still close to 15 years (I'm 22), the left eye closed is still the thing with me. Given either of us ever move to Open division, we have to force those eyeballs open eh Bob? :wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can't seem to break the habit of closing my left eye. All that practice for rifle team made it pretty much subconscious.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Sub,

I also learned to shoot with both eyes open at the NRA class. It's amazing how much better I am shooting now. I didn't realize all I had to do was focus on the front sight to acquire my target.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A guy I work with was stuck shooting with one eye. His instructor put him on the range with a patch over his dominant eye. Still standing his normal stance. He was forced to use his non-dominant eye. After getting used to it, the patch was removed and he got used to using both eyes. It worked for him. Dunno if it'd work for me if I was stuck on one eye.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i'll have to give that a whirl. My only other option is to have somebody throw a brick at me when I close my eye...

·
Registered
539 Posts
The firearms course i took also taught to shoot both eyes open. The instructor's outlook on it was that it was always gonna be more tactically beneficial to have both eyes open at all times. First however, we had to master focusing and aligning the sight with our dominant eye. If someone had a hard time remembering to use their dominant eye or weren't just naturally doing it, then they would have to cover the non-dominant eye with a patch or just close it. When they were now out of habit, able to use their dominant eye, then they could practice and continue the course using both eyes open.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I use both eyes to shoot a pistol, always have. I also do this for rifle and still get good results.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I try to have both open, but have been using the single eye technique all my life. I shoot right handed and left eye dominant, but have been using my right eye for years, so it's tricky.

Now how many of you shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open? Some say that is the proper way, but I tend to get double vision and can't seem to concentrate on the target. :shock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m right handed and left eye dominant.
Learned to shoot right handed when I had a bull-pup M-17.
Now I shoot with both eyes open right hand or left. I still shoot pool left handed, with both eyes open.
Yes I’m a confused person.

:lol: [/i]

·
Registered
657 Posts
what??? no both eyes closed option??? what the heck kind of poll is this!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I close my left eye because it is weaker and it makes it harder to converge the eyes on the sight and still be able to see the target.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
lYxFizzyl said:
what??? no both eyes closed option??? what the heck kind of poll is this!!! :twisted:
Ahhh, you beat me to that comment!

I tend to shoot with my left eye closed but am trying to shoot more with both open. I have been shooting my AR with the red dot on it with both eyes open and it is effective for close ranges...I still cannot shoot longer distances with both open.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm amidexterious, and while my right eye is slightly dominant, I can shoot either eye open, either hand.

As far as the number of eyes open...1 and 2. If I'm long range shooting, I'll close one. If I'm shooting up close, I'll keep them both open. I doubt this is the recommended way of doing things, but that's how I do it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i do it with both eyes open. but for me it came after MANY thousands of rounds. now, i don't even blink anymore. :shock:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts