Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually carry my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, and for times when I can easily conceal it I'll carry my XD Sub-compact 9mm. The LCP is just so much more comfortable and easy to carry.

My question is, between those two guns, do you still see practicality in buying an XDs?

Basically, I want one! But I'm trying to justify having 3 carry guns. That being said, I haven't shot or even held an XDs yet for that matter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have wondered the exact same thing! The Ruger LCP is a tiny little mouse gun weighing less than 10 oz. in a marginal cartridge. The XDsc in 9mm is 26 oz and really a belt/holster item. The XDs is 20oz and the size and thin profile that promotes ever easier belt/holster wear and concealment. Also the XDs in 45ACP has the advantage of a much better cartridge although recent advances in 9mm ammo. In dealing with an armed attacker, the 45 has some good advantages.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would recommend an XDs to anyone. Although I bought the XDs 9mm 4" version I found when trying the 3.3 versions the amount of recoil in the .45 was almost comparable to 9mm rounds in other smaller pistols (minus the P938). I say comparable because it is still a .45 round and I think it is impossible to make it fell them same in a pistol that size. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get one! I have a menagerie of guns and enjoy carrying all of them at different times. Everything from pocket 380 to 1911's and even a 41 Magnum revolver.

Truth be told though 99% of the time or more it's the XDS 45 on my hip. Liked it so much I picked up the XDS 9mm in both the 3.3 and 4.0, and I really don't even care for 9mm all that much.

Get one, get a decent belt slide holster or better yet a good iwb, shoot it til you're comfortable with it and don't look back.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
the one word response " duoooOOuuuuuDE "

XDS is almost a no brainer especially since the price has come down and 9 mm and 45 are just better than 380

falling in terms of carrying the biggest gun you are comfortable with and good at shooting AND firepower XDS is a perfect package . I would use that as you go to and save the ruger for ultra light duty OR as a back up.

justification - your life . not that if needed the ruger cant assist in saving your life but imagine some rabid dog coming at you . that 45 will be a much better defense

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have owned an the Ruger, I have two XDSC 9mm and XDs in 9/45.
I love shooting/carrying both XDs. 45 acp mild recoil, 9mm light recoil, IMO

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hecks yes I would recommend it!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The XDs is a holster gun not a pocket gun (for me at least). I have an XDs 9 that is my EDC in a IWB hybrid holster.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have both, and I feel like the XDS carries comparably to the XDSC. The XDS is lighter and thinner than the XDSC, but has virtually the same footprint and conceals the same. The tradeoff is capacity, of course. But ultimately I think it comes down to how well you shoot either gun. For some people, the thicker, more 'round' grip of the XDSC fits their hand better than a slimmer XDS, and others vice versa.

But I would recommend that you pick one and stick with it. I've never understood the guys who change their carry gun like they change their shoes. t's a tool, not a fashion accessory.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have both, and I feel like the XDS carries comparably to the XDSC. The XDS is lighter and thinner than the XDSC, but has virtually the same footprint and conceals the same. The tradeoff is capacity, of course. But ultimately I think it comes down to how well you shoot either gun. For some people, the thicker, more 'round' grip of the XDSC fits their hand better than a slimmer XDS, and others vice versa.

But I would recommend that you pick one and stick with it. I've never understood the guys who change their carry gun like they change their shoes. t's a tool, not a fashion accessory.

I change mine depending on what I am wearing. It's a concealability thing, not a fashion thing.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yes. Yes, I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I would only reccomend a XDs45 to a skilled shooter. all the comments ive heard about it being a terrible gun that doesnt work are all because of the shooter. Ive bought 4 now that were "broken" for cheap and passed them on to better homes.

now the XDs9 is my wifes first gun and its now 550rds in with no problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That was my concern. If it carries similar to the XDSC then it's not a big advantage for me. I would rather keep the 13rd capacity.

The other question is of course 9mm or .45. I love 9mm but .45 is nice as well. My first and only .45 though is the Springfield Range Officer, a fine pistol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you already have the XDsc in 9mm then an XDS in .45 might be a worthwhile addition. No need to justify 3 carry weapons. I have 4. Just do it :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yeah with the right holster the XDs disappear on your side, I had the Crossbreed Mini and love it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you already have the XDsc in 9mm then an XDS in .45 might be a worthwhile addition. No need to justify 3 carry weapons. I have 4. Just do it :)
This. The XDS is the thinnest and smallest 45ACP handgun on the market. Shoot one to see if you like it, and add it to your EDC rotation.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
This. The XDS is the thinnest and smallest 45ACP handgun on the market. Shoot one to see if you like it, and add it to your EDC rotation.

Well there is the DoubleTapp...

Sent from my skyleash.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts