Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you lock up your ammo under lock and key? If so how do you do it? Ammo boxes, locked closets or gun safes? If you have full cases of ammo how do you lock them up and store them?

I lock all my guns in a gun safe. But my ammo is stored in a closet. Is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me. I picked up a bunch of the .50 cal ammo cans one day when they were cheap. I don't even have enough ammo to fill all of them, but I'm working on it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
All my guns are under lock & key but the ammo is stored in cabinets or ammo cans. It would be simpl enough to add locks to the cabinets if the future politcal atmosphere dictates it.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Guns in safe, ammo in closet due to lack of room.
I have far too much ammo to lock up.
Those zombies don't shoot themselves, you know.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I currently lock up all my ammo in separate plastic dry boxes, separating them by caliber. The guns get locked up in their cases in a separate cabinet.

I'm planning to buy a good gun safe soon, and will probably lock up the ammo in the same safe.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I do not lock up my ammo, i hide it in the fire place;)

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I have mine in ammo cans inside an old grain bin in the basement. The bin has a padlock on it. I have probably five different sizes of ammo cans and they won't fit in a gun safe. I used to seperate them by caliber but lately I haven't had time to rearrange them so I have just been adding to the tops of the ones that were half full or three quarters full. I have no more room in the cans. Did inventory about 2 months ago and started numbering the cans and have a notebook on what is in the cans with the number.

I believe I have 18-20 cans in the basement, one can on the side porch and two cans in the garage. Needless to say, I have my fair share of ammo. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a older chest freezer with a burned out compressor in the basement, i keep Most of my ammo in, somewhat climate controled as to temperature changes and humidity. Tossed in several dissicant packs to make sure. Freezer already had the child safety lock on it, but i dont use that any more (kids all grown up and moved away). I have the different calibers sorted by corners with the odd stuff in a box in the middle. Works good! for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many boxes of 45 ACP will a 50 cal ammo box hold? Will it hold a case (1000 rounds, 20 boxes)?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Most of mine is locked in some oversized lockers and a file cabinet. I try to keep it all locked up but...

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I have mine in a document fire safe. Although it's getting small... :)

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
How many boxes of 45 ACP will a 50 cal ammo box hold? Will it hold a case (1000 rounds, 20 boxes)?
You can get 4 per layer laying flat, they can be stacked 5 high, maybe 6, didn't try it, because I'd have had to dig out another box. Anyways, looks like it will hold 1000rds of .45acp EASILY. You might be able to get 1200 in there. BEWARE, there are different styles of .50 cal ammo boxes, some are only half as tall. They're nice, complete with waterproof gasket around the top, heavy duty handle, and a compression latch for the gasket. I keep all my ammo in ammo cans. :cool:

The only problem I have with a gun safe is it looks like a gun safe! There's no doubt what's in there, and it's kinda hard to hide. I want to put a gunsafe in the wall somewhere. Hide that bastard, so it's not so easy to find. :twisted:

·
Registered
855 Posts
The only problem I have with a gun safe is it looks like a gun safe! There's no doubt what's in there, and it's kinda hard to hide. I want to put a gunsafe in the wall somewhere. Hide that bastard, so it's not so easy to find. :twisted:
There's at least one company making wall-safes that fit between studs inside your wall. Cut out the drywall, install the safe, put a painting/picture/poster over it, and no one will know it's there.

Just be sure to pick a room where you can A) get to it quickly in the event of a break-in, and B) where no one can see you getting in and out of the safe thru a window, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
At today's prices, let alone tomorrow's?? You bet I lock it up. :grin:

In quantity, it's worth more than my 401k recently ;) (well not really, but it's fast becoming an asset that may become very valuable in a number of ways.)

·
Registered
948 Posts
i was told by a friend that his friends house burn and had all his ammo locked up in his safe with his guns and it got so hot it discharge and ruin his guns.so what do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
i was told by a friend that his friends house burn and had all his ammo locked up in his safe with his guns and it got so hot it discharge and ruin his guns.so what do you think?
It is definitely possible, especially if the safe wasn't a quality fire safe.

I keep all of my ammo and reloading components locked up in a vertical filing cabinet.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I keep most of my rifle ammo (7.62x39, .308 and .223) just on the top shelf in my bedroom closet. My hangun stuff is usually out in the garage (with my reloading stuff) with a couple of boxes of defensive stuff in the house.

I really need to stock up though. I need to get a new die so I can make more .223 and when money isnt so tight, I need to buy a couple cases of 7.62x39 and .308. The handgun stuff I can make myself for a lot less than I can buy it. In fact, I just loaded up 250 rounds of 9mm a couple of nights ago. 250rnds went by in about an hour and I was taking my time. Gotta love reloading.

But I do keep some stuff in ammo cans. Just not a lot. Most of it is stacked away, not under lock and key. I do however keep some of the good SD ammo (gold dots, ranger, etc) in one of my gun safes. Just easier to keep it there so it doesnt get mixed up with my other hardball stuff.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts