Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I NEVER let the slide go home on an empty chamber with any of my autoloaders. 1911s, Hi-Powers or my XD-40...its not a good idea.

I have been told by several people more savvy than I on guns, not to do this, so I ease the slide home when its empty.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think somewhere deep in the owners manual it says that you're not supposed to slam it shut on an empty chamber. It may damage the gun. Personally, I NEVER shut it on an empty chamber; just doesn't feel right.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
On pages 9 and 10 of the Springfield XD owners manual (covering processes of loading and unloading the handgun), Springfield entreats you to "ease the slide" into the forward position when loading and when unloading, after removing a chambered cartridge, "slowly release slide, allowing it to return to forward position".

·
Registered
768 Posts
i thinn it's cause it slams home so hard on a empty chamber, without a round to give it some resistance, something to chew on so to speak.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
I NEVER let the slide go home on an empty chamber with any of my autoloaders. 1911s, Hi-Powers or my XD-40...its not a good idea.

I have been told by several people more savvy than I on guns, not to do this, so I ease the slide home when its empty.

-Brickboy240
Ditto.

And yeah, it does say in the owners manuals (both my SA guns) not to let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber.

And I was always told not to. I don't even remember when I first heard that. Probably in the army. But it's always been part of my (somewhat limited) gun knowledge.

I don't need to know "why". It's not that much effort to ease the slide forward.

Not a big deal at all.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
768 Posts
quixdraw said:
i ease it forward when it's unloaded.
i do this for 3 reasons.
1. too much force, no resistance.
2. i baby, caress, and love my xd.
3. i sometimes forget to take my toungue out of the ejection port before closing. :oops:

·
Registered
768 Posts
yeah dolanp , it needs the full force snap when chambering a round.
p.s.- ya ever lick the trigger? the safety reminds me of ......

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Delija said:
And yeah, it does say in the owners manuals (both my SA guns) not to let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber.

And I was always told not to. I don't even remember when I first heard that. Probably in the army.
I was also taught to ride the bolt forward on an empty chamber of an M16.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've never really thought of the round actually slowing down the slide when refilling the chamber. I guess I figured it like a misquito hitting a bus. Like I said earlier...I take great care of my baby, and I know she will take care of me. Thinking of the people who taught me about firearms (my father, and other family) they were all part of the military. as Delija said...maybe it was from their training.

Another great point was brought up in that every time you fire it off it would be the same action....so I guess this negates any real harm coming from it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts