• Yes but no chronic effects

• Not sure?

• No hearing loss! yay!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, when I was younger I had the big booming stereo and always played it way too loud, I'm paying for my ignorance now and have tinnitus and my frequent trips to the range are now starting to aggravate the situation... Do you have any hearing loss and if so how did it happen...??

More on tinnitus:
Tinnitus

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unless it's severe, it'd be impossible to tell without proper testing.

The test I'm used to emits tone pulses at varying frequencies and volumes, and every time you hear it you press a button. I heard every frequency which was louder then 10-15 dBHL, with many being 0-5. Anything over 25 is considered a problem, or so they told me.

Audiogram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the test I think they used...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
What did you say? All I can hear is this ringing sound.....:rolleyes:

I am prior Air Force, worked on F-16's. I rode street bikes for years. I shoot.

I have very good hearing because I ALWAYS wear ear protection. :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I ETS'd in 1993, I was tested and do have have some hearing loss. I am guessing it might have something to do with those pesky m16's, TOW's, claymores etc.. After all, in the ARMY you don't alwways have time to put on hearing protection:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I grew up playing drums. Do you know how loud you have to have the volume up on standard headphones to hear the music over the drums you are playing?...Yes, I have damage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have severe hearing loss in both ears. I wear hearing aids and still have a hard time understanding some people. Doctors have never been able to explain why I lost my hearing. I spent my younger years listening to loud music and working in loud factories and I guess most of the loss was due to those factors. For those of you that dont have hearing problems keep it that way by wearing good protection ALL the time. Wear your ear plugs when mowing the yard, using compressed air, riding motorcycles, and around anything the MIGHT be loud. It dont need to hurt to be considered loud. I am 47 and have been wearing hearing aids for about 12 years and let me tell you first hand that "IT SUCKS"

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've always had a hearing loss w/ tinnitus.

The good news is that my hearing tests show the same results fromWhen I was 5 years old to last year.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I grew up playing in lots of bands and then moved on to dj'ing for about 10 yrs. I have a slight case of tinnitus that seems loud first thing in the morning but then after I get up and around I don't really notice it. Funny thing is I can still hear very well, I just have that little bit o' ringing. I'll have to go for a test on e of these days.

I always wear ear protection shooting and I usually don't have any after effects from the range.

Mild hearing loss with a side of Tinnitus.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Motorcycles, Boats, Farm Tractors, lots of shooting w/o protection. In my younger years I never used hearing protection. Now I always use hearing protection to try to keep what hearing I still have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Due to flying as a private pilot, starting in 1963 without headsets, and minimal firewall insulation. No hearing aids yet. Wear protection when shooting now, but not when I was a LEO at the range.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Some loss due to due Black Cat right in the ear along time ago (short fuse).

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now I use ear plugs and ear muffs when I go to the range, mainly because I wear glasses and you lose protection from the lack of a good seal around the ears.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
18 years on a firetruck.....thise sirens really do take a tole on the hearing.

Now...when I ride the Harley, I wear ear plugs due to the wind noise...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stereos, guns, airplanes... I've had them all. I don't think I have any hearing problems, but I'm sure my wife would tell you otherwise.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure I have some hearing loss. I find myself constantly saying "huh" or "say again"...I try to blame it on other people not speaking clearly, but I can only get away with that for so long

1 - 20 of 41 Posts