Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question......mostly out of boredom...
Like if your checking the breach or after cleaning.....do you guys dry fire as not to leave it cocked. Is there any wear-n-tear from leaving it cocked (without one in the chamber) for weeks, months, years?

Reason I ask is cause my rifles and XD just sit in the case all winter. But after cleaning or just checking them out, I usually dry fire to decock since they are gonna be sitting for a while.

:?:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I always dry fire if its not loaded and going to be stored. Figure that way if I pick up a gun in my house, and its showing me its cocked, I'm extra careful. If it doesn't show me its cocked, I just assume its loaded and cocked anyway, drop the mag, lock back the slide, and visually inspect anyway. Old habit that's kept me from sending a round out accidently once...and one stray round is one too many for me. But yea, I don't leave it cocked unless its loaded and ready to go.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Springs should not loose their sproing just setting under load. I leave mine cocked most of the time. Loaded too, even in the safe for a year.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i always keep my **** cocked and hot. ready to go! In fact, it site on my bedside table like that unless its on my hip. No kids around, its great being young. Don't have to worry about anybody getting into it and accidently killin' themselves.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I always unload and dry fire for storage. Even John Travolta in "Battlefield Earth" knew that you do not store loaded guns. Sheesh!!!!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
manygunner said:
I always unload and dry fire for storage. Even John Travolta in "Battlefield Earth" knew that you do not store loaded guns. Sheesh!!!!

If you cant treat every gun as loaded, then yeah,thats a pretty good idea

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
My HS has been cocked about 99% of the time that I have had it.

It prefers to be that way.

But when the striker.....strikes, it goes ahhhhhhhhhh!

I kinda know how it feels.

bd

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
i always keep my **** cocked and hot. ready to go! In fact, it site on my bedside table like that unless its on my hip. No kids around, its great being young. Don't have to worry about anybody getting into it and accidently killin' themselves.
I do not think he was asking if your **** was cocked and hot!
He was asking about your XD and other firearms!
I leave my Cocked and ready to go at all times because I carry it and an Unloaded gun does no good when a Perp is in my house!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
I leave my Cocked and ready to go at all times because I carry it and an Unloaded gun does no good when a Perp is in my house!
Just curious; are you in law enforcement? Or are you a civilian?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
03RangerXLT said:
I do not think he was asking if your **** was cocked and hot!
He was asking about your XD and other firearms!
hahahah sorry, I responded to that after a long night at a keg party.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Delija said:

Peace,
D.
Civilian....CCW Permit holder in MN
OK. Thanks...

I was curious if anyone who was not in law enforcement carried a backup gun.

Now I know. :shock:

Stay safe! Watch your back!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
NExd said:
manygunner said:

If you cant treat every gun as loaded, then yeah,thats a pretty good idea
I do treat all my guns as loaded, it is rule #1. But I was also taught that it is a major no no to store firearms loaded. What happens if I die in a house fire, and then some lawyer or something opens my safe to read my will, finds all these guns and does something stupid? Or some crooks decided to steal it and break into it (hard to do, bolted into cement). I prefer to store guns, ammo and magazines all seperate. Redundant safety precautions are not stupid or silly, only people are. BTW, I do keep my defense weapon in a quick access lock box, loaded and ready, with two extra loaded magazines. I just figure that guns in storage do not need to be loaded.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Delija said:
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Delija said:

Peace,
D.
Civilian....CCW Permit holder in MN
OK. Thanks...

I was curious if anyone who was not in law enforcement carried a backup gun.

Now I know. :shock:

Stay safe! Watch your back!

Peace,
D.
I have been known to carry a snubbie .357 mag in an ankle holster too!
I am in Private security as well so I need to carry multiple guns!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
I have been known to carry a snubbie .357 mag in an ankle holster too!
I am in Private security as well so I need to carry multiple guns!
Thanks again. I actually saw that (private security) on your profile. I guess I should have thought to look there before I asked....oh well, I am slowly learning my around this forum a tiny bit better by the day (except I can NEVER get the "search" function to work).

So you are an armed guard in your private security work? if so, it must be in a pretty dangerous area of the industry? I don't see much armed private security around here (although I do know a guy who is a bodyguard and carries a full auto Uzi pistol...but he protects a public political figure.

I had never heard of anyone carrying CCW as a civilian with a backup gun. That was my real point of interest. I am sure if you carry a backup gun you must have your reasons.

I was hoping you could explain them. But certainly it's your private matter and I wouldn't presume to impose on you to explain yourself if you didn't want to. I would understand and respect that completely. But if you don't mind...then I would be very interested, since I've tried to imagine a scenario where a private citizen with a CCW permit would need (or think they need) a backup gun.

So my curiosity has the best of me. Maybe if you don't feel like giving an explanation, someone else will. I'm sure you can't be the only one who finds comfort with a backup gun.

Anyway, it just seems like a lot of weight. Especially with your selection. The XD Sub isn't like a Kel-Tec or some weightless pocket gun. It's a substantial hunk of metal (and polymer).

Thanks for any insight.

Peace,
D.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts