Discussion Starter #1
Thumbless Monkey? check
Rifle? check
Ammo? check
Cleaning and maintenance equipment? check
Rifle case? check
Optics...? NO check

So here begins the chase...
I set out to find the right optics for me as a begining shooter and for entry level competition (tactical style, 3gun,etc). So I first learned the basics of the scope and how they work... sorta. But I'm still learning. So I began researching,reading, learning,deciding and undeciding, Thats the thing every time I find what "I think" will work for me I find something else i think will work better. Hence my saying chasing my tail.
I started off thinking the Nikon M223 1-4x20 was the one for me. Then I read up on the Burris Fullfield TAC30 1x4x24 Ballistic CQ 5.56 and decided that would better suit me. Now I found the Viper HS 1-4x24 TMCQ. Which now I think would be better choice then the Burris. I'm not sure what to choose now. I feel like they all would work to start but then I don't want to waste my money either. I know as time goes by I'll become a more experienced shooter and new stuff comes out i'll probably want to change or upgrade. Thats fine! I have a summer build in the works and any of these would work great or even better for it. So part of my thought was I would just swap over as I changed or upgraded.

So am I putting too much thought in this or have I just not reached that point where i can make a sound decision because I lack knowledge and experience with scopes period?
But I have to begin some where right?
The other thing is I'm trying to make this a good training tool as well.
Any thoughts on the above mentioned scopes, any other scopes or constructive suggestions on how to tackle this delima/situation?

Here are the links to each scope
Nikon M223 1-4x20 M-223 1-4x20 from Nikon
Burris Fullfield TAC30 1x4x24 Ballistic CQ 5.56 Burris Fullfield TAC30 Riflescopes
Viper HS 1-4x24 TMCQ Vortex Optics - Viper HS 1-4x24 TMCQ Illuminated Reticle

Thanks-Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
I prefer Burris scopes period! They are well constructed and have quality springs to hold their zero. The also have Posi-Lock feature to lock in your zero for scopes that will take a beating. Their glass is very good and bright and warranty is very good - lifetime on most scopes. The Tac30 is a good scope for the money, the 30mm tube is stronger and will allow a little more light to pass through. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JN, Right now with the Nikon M-223 1-4 Scope you can get a FREE Nikon M-223 AR Mount from Participating dealers. Pretty good deal, will save you $99 retail.
Check out Participating dealers below.
Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Nikon Promo - Your source for Exclusive Nikon Promotions, Nikon Discounts, Nikon Deals, and More.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
OK I do have questions. LOTS OF THEM! But that's only because scopes are new to me...

So what is the big difference between these two scopes? I can only find one on the Nikon website.
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm BDC 600 Reticle Matte

Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Point Blank Reticle Matte

Another question
The website states
Point Blank reticle: Available exclusively on the M-223 1-4x20, this reticle delivers fast, extremely accurate shots from zero out to a 200 yard range “point blank range” for the .223/5.56mm 55-grain polymer tipped round.
So what happens when I shoot 69-grain or even 77-grain rounds? How does that affect the accuracy of the scope or will it? It states that the scope is "extremely accurate" with 55-grain rounds. The statement is leading me to believe that grain is a factor to it's effective accuracy. Am I following this correctly?

Thanks-Jason

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just ordered one yeterday. Had a hard time deciding between the M-223 and the Leupold VX-R though. The point blank reticile means it set up just like iron sights out to 200 yards, the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensated) means that reticile has dots staggered below the crosshair, that you would raise the crosshair to the lower dots the farther out the target. The one I ordered was the other one, the one with the Rapid Action Turrets. It's a knob on top of the scope that you turn to the appropriate distance rather than raising the crosshairs higher. Check out this page, and watch the video enbedded in the picture section. Great scope IMO

OK I do have questions. LOTS OF THEM! But that's only because scopes are new to me...

So what is the big difference between these two scopes? I can only find one on the Nikon website.
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm BDC 600 Reticle Matte

Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Point Blank Reticle Matte

Another question
The website states
So what happens when I shoot 69-grain or even 77-grain rounds? How does that affect the accuracy of the scope or will it? It states that the scope is "extremely accurate" with 55-grain rounds. The statement is leading me to believe that grain is a factor to it's effective accuracy. Am I following this correctly?

Thanks-Jason

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered one yeterday. Had a hard time deciding between the M-223 and the Leupold VX-R though. The point blank reticile means it set up just like iron sights out to 200 yards, the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensated) means that reticile has dots staggered below the crosshair, that you would raise the crosshair to the lower dots the farther out the target. The one I ordered was the other one, the one with the Rapid Action Turrets. It's a knob on top of the scope that you turn to the appropriate distance rather than raising the crosshairs higher. Check out this page, and watch the video enbedded in the picture section. Great scope IMO
Thanks for the explanation on the two scopes.
Is there suppose to be a link? I'm not sure what page I'm to look at. Am I missing something...?

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
When I hear "tactical style, 3 gun" I think EO Tech, something with huge eye relief, able to shoot with both eyes open, no need for magnification.

Have you competed in them before? The ones in my area were indoor and not long range, your area may vary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts