Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, do you change any part of your EDC gun, like trigger job, or do you leave it as-is ? And why? thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
This always ends in an argument....

Yes. I DO enhance the trigger and components for EDC. Not necessarily to make the trigger “light” like a target pistol, but to make it more refined, smooth, and a cleaner break. I also only carry DA/SA hammer-fired guns - except in the case of my DAO Sig P290RS - that has had extensive work done to it also.

My opinion is that if my life or somebody else’s life is depending on my ability to shoot effectively and hit ONLY what I’m aiming for to stop the threat and not injure innocent bystanders - I want my weapons to be as good as they can be at helping me do so. I see no reason to hinder my efforts.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Cleaning and a little polishing is all I do to a carry gun. Other than that I don't alter my carry guns in any way. Just me.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
No ... because can't be bothered ... XDe works for me as is

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
If it needs it I do, currently I carry a Glock 48 and I always change the polymer trigger out in Glocks for the Apex. I’m going to start carrying a Kimber 1911 as soon as it’s broken in, the trigger doesn’t need work so it will be stock.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
I don't own a gun I haven't refined the trigger in some way. Some don't need or benefit, but I want the best trigger I can get. And no, that does not mean super light. I also don't own a trigger under 4 pounds.

Reactions: slugger6

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only carry gun trigger that I really modified was when I converted my series 80 colt back to series 70 like it should have been. Other than that, I might polish here and there on a carry gun but that is it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not done anything on my XD Mod2. I asked because I think it can benefit with a little mod on the trigger. But I am not sure hence I asked. I always mod my guns' trigger to get a better feel and pull weight, but not yet on my carry gun.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I installed an Apex sear on my Shield 9mm 1.0. It came from the factory with a 6½ lb pull which seemed a tad heavy for me. It is now 4½ lbs and that feels about right.
My Shield 45 didn't need any modification as it came with a 5 lb trigger.

I installed a Powder River Precision trigger kit in my XDm 3.8" 45 ACP Compact to get about 4½ lbs trigger pull. It started new at 6 lbs.

It's been 6 years since I made those mods. I was struggling with accuracy back then when I first got seriously in to handguns. The trigger mods made a huge improvement over night. I know there are those that say not to lighten the trigger, just practice more and learn trigger control. And there are those that say you will go to jail if you modify your trigger and use it in self defense. To them I say Pshaaaw. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Why do you carry? To protect you and yours if someone attempts harm/death.

For that reason, why would anyone be happy with less than the best they could afford?

Better sights. An RMR. Better grips. Accuracy enhancements. Ammo that is reliable and shoot good groups. A better functioning trigger system. A finish that won't be as prone/easy to rust. Replacement of factory parts known to be an issue with aftermarket parts developed/sold to eliminate those factory breakage issues.

All are upgrades over a factory pistol with the cheapest FMJ ammo you can find.

Oh, should have thrown in practice/training to improve the owner/shooter as well.

I have a couple CZ's that have had nothing done to them but replacement of springs known to break and pins known to crack - in some pistols of the same model. A couple other CZs where modified to make them look different (CZ75s modified by the addition of right side slide release and safety levers and spur hammers to make them look/operate like a CZ85.)

My XD .45 5" Tactical has a PRP trigger kit in it (well, some of the parts, not all of them would fit/work in an XD with thumb safeties). Had a terrible trigger in it from the factory. PRP trigger is not "light" but it is crisp.

M&Ps (so far) have not been reliable or accurate enough for me to trust them for EDC. They've been modified to improve accuracy and got some better, but not to CZ standards.

The FNS pistols have (two to go) had Apex strikers installed in them. Again, due to the issues with the factory replacement strikers breaking. Not worth it to try to improve the factory triggers. No matter what I do to them they will never be like the CZs or the one M&P with an Apex trigger in it.

The P07 shoots like this at 12.5 yds. Why would it need trigger work, action smoothing, etc? Low shot was a surprise. Low left shot was me shooting a big bumble bee that was hovering in front of the target (I missed).

On the other hand, why would I EDC a pistol that shoots like this? The M&P 2.0 got an Apex trigger kit (did nothing for the groups) and an Apex hand fit barrel (improved the groups quite a bit).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have an Overwatch Precision trigger that I may or may not put into my G19. Haven't decided yet. I very much like the feel of it and how it pulls on my Polymer80 build, so I bought another one for the G19, but just haven't gotten around to deciding if I really want it in or not. Which might be a moot point because I also purchased a Glock extended slide release for it, because I abhor the flat one that comes on them, but when i went to put it in, I could not for the life of me get the pin out. So rather than risk damaging the polymer by continually whacking the pin with a punch and hammer, I stopped and will revisit it again. By then, maybe I'll decide to throw in the trigger and save myself the hassle of dealing with the pin another time.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Does shooting and cleaning it once a week count?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've heard in some Gun Podcasts that one should run at minimal 1,000 rounds through a handgun as a sort of a trigger job. now, I'm hearing from the same individual a Bob Mayne of "Handgun World" to run 2,000 rounds as a "trigger" job. That all being said, while I think one should buy a handgun with a decent trigger it apparently does help some EDC's to get a trigger job done.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Tazgator, I see that fairly often on the CZ Forum - shoot 1,000 rounds through your new CZ and it will smooth out nicely.

I don't down that metal parts wear in with each other over time/use. I do wonder how you could tell "new" to "post 1,000 rounds fired" if you were the one doing it. We're human. We sort of get used to stuff changing over time.

I could see it getting lighter (and smoother) and you being able to tell if you'd used a trigger pull gauge to test it when new and again after 1,000 rounds fired.

Maybe even smoothness if you videoed the trigger pull with sound so you could see the draggy spots and hear the grit when new vs. after 1,000 rounds.

But you mind and your trigger finger just run along working together to keep you convinced nothing has changed as long as the change is gradual/slow.

When I put a new trigger/upgraded trigger system in a pistol I know it right then - because 1/2 hr. ago the trigger was rough/gritty/heavy and after the installation it is none of those things.

I put an Apex kit in my M&P 2.0 and it was night and day different vs. the factory trigger. Measured trigger pull was 3 lbs., over and over and over. I was cleaning it the other day and decided to show it and the FNS to my wife and explain the differences in how the sear/trigger/striker worked. I grabbed the trigger pull ga. from the box and the M&P is now at 2&3/4 lbs. and I didn't know it till I put the ga. on it. Yeah, 1/4 lb. isn't much, but the point is it changed with use.

So, in some cases, change can be good. In others, not so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts