Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been crimping mine and from all my researching never got a definite answer. It just seems to be a matter of preference. I'm just wondering if you guys do it. If you want tell me why you either do or don't crimp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I crimp mine. I thought I remembered reading that you were supposed to. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure where I read it.

I'll be curious if someone can provide a definitive answer...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Depends completely on who you talk to. Very heated arguements on ar15.com about this.

Personally I don't for my AR and have had no issues. There always seems enough neck tension to hold the bullet. If you push the bullet as hard as you can against the reloading bench and if it doesn't push in, you don't need a crimp.

If you use a taper crimp, each round will need to be exactly the same length or ou will buckle the longer cases. This is fine if you trim each case each time. Personally, I only trim if they get to the MCL.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I don't. I shoot them in an AR and never have had any problems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dont do mine, I never had a problem in my AR

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
I've been crimping mine and from all my researching never got a definite answer. It just seems to be a matter of preference. I'm just wondering if you guys do it. If you want tell me why you either do or don't crimp.
I don't crimp my .223 or .308 loads and I shoot them in AR15's and AR10's. Thousands or rounds with no problems.
Pat

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends completely on who you talk to. Very heated arguements on ar15.com about this.

Personally I don't for my AR and have had no issues. There always seems enough neck tension to hold the bullet. If you push the bullet as hard as you can against the reloading bench and if it doesn't push in, you don't need a crimp.

If you use a taper crimp, each round will need to be exactly the same length or ou will buckle the longer cases. This is fine if you trim each case each time. Personally, I only trim if they get to the MCL.
I've seen the threads over there, everyone has their own opinion.

The thing is that when I do push my bullet goes into the case. I've been using the Lee FCD

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i crimp. no real reason thats just the way i started doing it so i just kept doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts