Springfield XD Forum banner

do you carry a spare mag with your gun

• yes

• no

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I carry a XDM 9 compact and it holds 13+1 so I do not carry a spare mag. If I need more than 14 shots then I am in way over my head and I should have run a long time ago!!

·
Premium Member
127,724 Posts
On my person I carry one extra mag; in my truck I carry two.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Depends on application, but not generally. I just feel like if you can't get it done with 10 rounds out of a XDsc.40, your in a world of hurt anyway.

But.... if I know that I'm gonna be within 100 miles of the Mexican boarder, I'll pack 2 extra of the 12 rounders in the pouches. ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Almost always. 2 extra mags in pouch on person. Obviously probably not necessary for your average physical altercation; however, in an active shooter situation it might be really helpful to have a few more mags.

You know what they say, better to have and not need than to need and not have...

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I used to, but then I got fatter and the gun and mag holder won't fit in my pants. It was also some extra weight that I didn't care for as much.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I carry a 13+1 XD9SC. Mags can fail, yes, but the one in my carry has been tested through hundreds of rounds with absolutely no hiccups. It gets cleaned every time my gun is cleaned, which is after every firing session, no matter if it's 200 rounds or 20.

Yes, the mess is hitting the blades in more and more places, so it's wise to always be armed, but to what extent. Not much gang activity here, and I stay out of "bad" places and areas. I'm sorta in a slightly yellow condition. Not pure white, but watchful. If I can't take acre of a "social encounter" with situational awareness and 14 rounds, I deserve what I get.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I carry a speedloader with my J frame and a spare mag with my g27 always.

·
Registered
29,750 Posts
I alwyas carry a spare mag; not so much for extra ammo, but for a spare mag. It's a heck of a lot faster & easier to just drop a mag in some types of failure drills and refresh it with a fresh one, than to remove it, hang on to it, clear the malf, and reinsert it...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It's a heck of a lot faster & easier to just drop a mag in some types of failure drills and refresh it with a fresh one, than to remove it, hang on to it, clear the malf, and reinsert it...
Very true. By the time you realize there's a malfunction and do the "tap/rack/bang" drill, you could be very dead. That drill won't clear all types of malfunctions, either.

Unless you practice speed-reloading, that spare mag won't help much, either.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I carry a XDM 9 compact and it holds 13+1 so I do not carry a spare mag. If I need more than 14 shots then I am in way over my head and I should have run a long time ago!!

+1. same setup

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Minimum 2 extra. I even carry an extra mag for the BUG. Not for more ammo, but for mechanical malfunction purposes.

Not carrying a spare mag(s) is like taking the spare tire out of your car. I mean you allready have 4 tires on the car, why would anyone ever need a 5th.......

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Ten rounds in my sc40 is all I carry.

If I'm riding w my bros out of the area, the 12rounder goes in my saddlebag.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Another 1911 guy so yes I carry an extra 8 round mag with me at all times.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
2 spares

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Sometimes.... I don't currently have a mag holder, so it depends on what I'm wearing as to whether I have an extra mag or not.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts