Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD Subcompact 9mm and am wondering if it would shoot if I single-loaded bullets.

I also have an XD Compact 45ACP and assume the same answer would apply.

It's a good thing if it would, since I have no magazines in the house!! As a safety procedure for the cops, I brought my gun home from my office unloaded and realized I don't know the answer to the above.

Thanks for helping me figure it out without having to go to the range.

·
Registered
855 Posts
BOSS302 is right. Some pistols have a 'magazine safety' that keep the gun from firing if the mag is not in the gun, but the XD is not one of those guns. If there is a round in the chamber the XD will fire whether it has a mag in it or not.

You obviously know that now, enviroman22, but it's an important reminder for new or newer owners IMO.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Myth? I guess you've never seen a broken extractor. Extractors are designed so that the bullets come up under them, not over them. You can click the link in my signature line to see what I do for a living.

The XD's extractor doesn't have the range of movement as that of an external extractor design like the Glock and CZ75 so it can not flex as much if you drop the slide with a round in the chamber, and I have seen broken XD extractors.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Myth? I guess you've never seen a broken extractor. Extractors are designed so that the bullets come up under them, not over them. You can click the link in my signature line to see what I do for a living.

The XD's extractor doesn't have the range of movement as that of an external extractor design like the Glock and CZ75 so it can not flex as much if you drop the slide with a round in the chamber, and I have seen broken XD extractors.
I'll take your word for it. Never tried it and now don't intend to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll have to agree with Loves2shoot on this one. I have been to Beretta and Glock Armorers schools and both tell you that although the weapon can be loaded through the chamber in a crunch, they both recommend that you do not because of the chance of damaging the extractor. Personally, I would like to get that second shot off if I need it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done it once. I took a couple of my wifes cousins (13yr and 15yr) out shooting and I thought I could just drop the mag and they would only have one shot. Well it fired but had an FTE. So yes it will fire but I wouldn't do it because you can damage the extractor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've done it once. I took a couple of my wifes cousins (13yr and 15yr) out shooting and I thought I could just drop the mag and they would only have one shot. Well it fired but had an FTE. So yes it will fire but I wouldn't do it because you can damage the extractor.
Firing without a magazine in place, either empty or loaded, also raise the probability of a failure to eject, as a magazine, empty or loaded, provides support for the empty case as it extracts. Without that support, it may slip out of it's proper place against the breechface, before or as striking the extractor, inducing a malfunction.

Combined with the greater possibilty of damaging the extractor, this makes loading a single round, with no magazine, an emergency only option.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Tried loading a single round (manually) in my XD40svc and it would not chamber the round. Did a lot of searching and found several threads that said it would damage the extractor. Don't even think I could have forced the round into the chamber. Never tried it again.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Paragraph 1 page 3 of your manual. the manual is available for download from SA if you didn't get one with your firearm.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I have an XD Subcompact 9mm and am wondering if it would shoot if I single-loaded bullets.

I also have an XD Compact 45ACP and assume the same answer would apply.

It's a good thing if it would, since I have no magazines in the house!! As a safety procedure for the cops, I brought my gun home from my office unloaded and realized I don't know the answer to the above.

Thanks for helping me figure it out without having to go to the range.
Buy some magazines. Why do you have 2 pistols and no magazines for them???

Also, what do you mean by the text that I put in bold???

·
Registered
410 Posts
Even though it is not recommended, I think it is still okay to do. I think it's the very reason the extractor has an angle. :shock:

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have an xd-9 subcompact and have manually loaded a round into the chamber and released the slide at least 3 times with out a problem but i will hold off on it until i call SA on monday

·
Registered
186 Posts
Always love to see this myth.

Definitely not a myth. The extractor strikes the rear of the casing with enough force to cause wear and/or breakage. This is an issue with almost all semi-auto pistols. There are some that can handle this type of loading, but most cannot. Glock, and XD, for two, are designed to be charged by loading a mag and letting the slide strip the round.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Definitely not a myth. The extractor strikes the rear of the casing with enough force to cause wear and/or breakage. This is an issue with almost all semi-auto pistols. There are some that can handle this type of loading, but most cannot. Glock, and XD, for two, are designed to be charged by loading a mag and letting the slide strip the round.

It isn't called Xd ( Xtreme Duty) for the hell of it

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts