Springfield XD Forum banner

Do u Ever Oil the outside of your mags?

• Yes, i oil

• No, I don't oil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
No....however I did coat the outside of my mags with a Armadillo by Blue wonder....I was more bored than anything and figured it couldnt possibly hurt anything.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oil on the outside just makes them slip out of your hands :( . Now on the inside you could use Mag Slick, powdred graphite, or a silicone spray, and that would help with feeding :D .

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I disassemble and clean them regularly. Clean the build up from under the feed lip, and off the spring and follower and inside the tube. Wipe them down with one of the treated gun rags. I allways wipe the outside prior to a match. You can also take them a part and put the metal parts in the dishwasher to clean them. Dirt, dust and gunk hinder the function of the mag just as it does the gun.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R Dub said:
I disassemble and clean them regularly. Clean the build up from under the feed lip, and off the spring and follower and inside the tube. Wipe them down with one of the treated gun rags. I allways wipe the outside prior to a match. You can also take them a part and put the metal parts in the dishwasher to clean them. Dirt, dust and gunk hinder the function of the mag just as it does the gun.
oh yea, i totaly agree on the cleaning of the mags. I do that every so often, but i never oil or treat the outside. I was wondering what you guys thought... my line of reasoning was that it dropped pretty freely as it was and any added oil would probably be a pita when doing mag changes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If your mags drop out without hanging up a little oil isn't going to help, if anything the oil could pick and hold dirt or sand and slow the mag down coming out.
If the mags where hanging up on the way out, you would want to check to see if they were with in spec, and if they were then check inside the frame.
Anyway you need to get your reloads down to around a half second before you need to worry about how fast your mags are coming out, and thats pretty damm fast.

·
Registered
359 Posts
after cleaning the residue off/out of my mags, I don't oil the outside, but I do wipe it down with my silicone cloth just in case, It isn't like a coat of oil...

I do oil the spring just a bit before reassembly...

-stunks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I guess that it depends on what you consider "oil". I've been known to use a little Remington Dry-Lube on my mags, but most of the time I just wipe them down as needed.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I do not oil my XD mags since the nickle plating makes for a natural lubricant on them and it leaves them no chance to rust. I do however oil the mags on my other guns using a silicone rag.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
No, I have never oiled my mags. Just wipe 'em down w/ a cloth or paper towel. That's it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Eezox...inside and out. Just started to use this stuff and its great. Mags now come flying out of the mag well. And because it is a dry film product, no runny mess.

Plus, according to the web sight, it won't deactivate primers like petrolium products can.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Eezox...inside and out. Just started to use this stuff and its great. Mags now come flying out of the mag well. And because it is a dry film product, no runny mess.

Plus, according to the web sight, it won't deactivate primers like petrolium products can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts