Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Nodak receiver a couple of weeks ago and have a question abou the finish. It looks like bare metal to me, but I thought they came parkerized. Do I need to do anything else to it, or is it good to go as is?

I'm almost ready to start the build. I've got everything but a decent stock and some time.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I received my Nodak receiver a couple of weeks ago and have a question abou the finish. It looks like bare metal to me, but I thought they came parkerized. Do I need to do anything else to it, or is it good to go as is?

I'm almost ready to start the build. I've got everything but a decent stock and some time.
I recently got 2 NDS-3 receivers and yes, they were parkerized.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
no they do not, they the NDS3 came with a coating (i forget what kind it was) but it was temporary, they state this on there website i beleve. they normally come with just the heat treatment.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
this is from the AK forum, on the Nodak page, post regarding the finish on the Nodak receivers...

The Sales Receipt that was sent with the receivers included the note that the receivers have a black oxide finish, this batch only.
The batch of receivers with the black oxide finish is relatively small. Future batches will consist of receivers 'in the white', with the bluish/grayish shade coming from the heat treat process.

Thanks.
Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
hope this helps you! fwiw the last batch of receivers i got from Nodak 3 out of 6 receivers had the black oxide finish, (NDS3 receivers where black oxide) the premium receivers i got where 1 NDS-8, 1 NDS-1kp, 1 NDS-2sf where in the "white" heat treated only.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I stand corrected, even though I'm sitting down!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I tell if it has the black oxide finish? It does not look like the finish is the product of heat treating, but it also doens't look like black oxide.

What is the normal SOP for a build on these? Do I need to have it parked or finished in another manner before building?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
i read up on black oxide and its not a very strong finish. im guessing Nodak did this for the corrosion resistance in stoarage and shipping compared to bare metal.

some people have there receivers parked before they build, some do not. if its the black oxide i would park and gun kote the whole thing after you have it built.

the black oxide finish looks like the receiver is panted black compared to the heat treated ones which are a greyish color.

personally i just build them then have the whole gun parked and dura coated. once its built. (my smith only does dura coat i would perfer gun kote) Im not to worried about metal under the front and rear trunions getting so corroded that the gun falls apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts