Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my first XD tac and I'd like to do a trigger job on it when I get it. I have a buddy that is a gunsmith that can do the work for me, but I'd also like to learn myself.

Does anyone have any information on how to do a trigger job yourself or know of a book that has this information?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
120 Posts
Send it to Rich at Canyon Creek. For $135 you cant go wrong..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being a gunsmith I would have to agree with the other posters, er well other than sending it to that other guy for $135 I cant condone money going to somone other than me heh.

But seriusly have a professional do it if you don't know exactly what your doing you can really mess things up very quickly, pluss I doubt you want to buy the tools to do it with properly those alone will cost you at minimum $120 then you will need to learn how, which will also cost you one way or another then theres always more money if you want to fix the pre travel that from what I have looked at so far would eather require silver braze and some metal + files or welding on the trigger bar or sear depending on which is cheaper/easier to get since theres a good chance you will mess it up the first time.

"Disclaimer"
A note I don't know exactly what it requires to fix the pre travel yet but just from looking at the inerds with the slide off that is my best gues I havent taken it down to the shop and totaly torn it apart because I plan to do the sights at the same time and there not here yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look guys, I understand the concern. However, every one of you gunsmiths had to start somewhere just like I am trying to do.

My gunsmith buddy will do the work, but I still want to learn. So I'll ask the question again, can you suggest any books or information online to get me started?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Each gun is different in all honesty. The XD does not have a trigger system that is easily done yourself, it seems that most gunsmiths dont even want to mess with it. Slicking it up requires polishing but not with a disaster tool, I mean Dremel tool...I know of no books online but thats not to say there isnt any.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
ExtremeShot said:
Look guys, I understand the concern. However, every one of you gunsmiths had to start somewhere just like I am trying to do.

My gunsmith buddy will do the work, but I still want to learn. So I'll ask the question again, can you suggest any books or information online to get me started?

Thanks,
Darren
I'd suggest you look into a gun smithing school. If your going to do it, do it right.

·
Registered
889 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
ExtremeShot said:

Thanks,
Darren
I'd suggest you look into a gun smithing school. If your going to do it, do it right.

Or at least start with a gun you can buy parts for, like say a 1911. I know that when I started doing the gunsmith thing, I wrecked some parts :shock: , and had to buy replacement parts, and if you screw up an XD your only option is to send it back to Springfield :( .
I have done all my owne gunsmith work for a lot of years, and I sent my XD to Canyon Creek :D . Just seemed like the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
ExtremeShot said:

Thanks,
Darren

Or at least start with a gun you can buy parts for, like say a 1911. I know that when I started doing the gunsmith thing, I wrecked some parts :shock: , and had to buy replacement parts, and if you screw up an XD your only option is to send it back to Springfield :( .
I have done all my owne gunsmith work for a lot of years, and I sent my XD to Canyon Creek :D . Just seemed like the smart thing to do.
Most definetly, if you cant find parts or make them for the xd dont use it as a training piece get yourself a cheep 1911 and you can learn a lot from that, I know I did. Its the first gun I really "built" as in I had to fit every little thing had to blue it myself etc, I had previusly put together an AR but thats nothing like putting together a 1911 from scratch.

Also im no instructor but a 1911 would be a good choice to learn trigger jobs off of since you can pull the sear and hammer out and pin them to the outside of the gun and actualy see what there sort of doing and if you do mess up parts are cheep. Also theres good books on working on the 1911 some of which I had to buy for school :)

Also tons of auto pistoles are based eather entirely or partialy off the 1911 design. Its one of those guns where if you master it you can work on lots of other stuff to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ExtremeShot said:
My gunsmith buddy will do the work, but I still want to learn.
Why learn from a book, when your friend can teach you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can do wonders just by polishing the contact points of the firing pin to sear. Remove the firing pin and sand down the ledge that the sear catches. Go for a 90 degree perfectly flat mirror. I used 1000 grit sandpaper on the edge of a glass pane. Polish with dremmel and buffing wheel. You can further improve it by using the sandpaper to take the sharp edge off the sear. Not too much or you'll regret it. You can permantly change the firing point of the trigger pull by eating away at the sear's edge. If you screw up, you'll have to order a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts