Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all.
I took some before pictures of my XD40, and I'm about to gunkote my gun and small parts (gunkoting 1 mag also). I'm using Brownells gunkote, the one in a spray can. Was skeptical at first so I tried it out on a pair of pliers. So far, it's looking real good.

here's the link to the cans http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150

I'll post pictures of the after pictures once it's done.
Here are the before pictures (You don't need to strip your XD, but I did)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck man, but I got to tell ya, your XD looks tough as it is. What color and kind of finish will it be?

jcwolves

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is tough, but I scratched it while installing new sights. I ordered the matte black. So far, it's easy to spray paint it, just have to wait for the second kote, then off to the toaster oven (300 degrees for 30 minutes to cure it, I guess) according to the instructions. It looks real good right now.

This spray can is a collaboration between Brownells and gun-kote. For those who don't have an air-blaster. So it is paint color with epoxy. There are many colors available too! :D

Crucials, I'll try to get some pics in tonight, or tomorrow. But soon. I'm working as fast as it's drying! hehehe

·
Registered
22 Posts
shl0791,

Looks good. Sounded simple. If it holds up we may have a winner.

Which holster will you be using?

Was this XD origionally a black finish you sanded?

jcwolves

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm interested in possibly trying this with my CZ 52, in Gloss Gun Blue. I wonder if it could be polished, or Armadillo applied on top of it to get a really deep gloss (or is that expecting way too much from it)?

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it was black to begin with... showing wear on it. Looks new now, still have to bake it, but you guys get the picture... pun intended.

Willbond, do you mean like with cars where you can apply polish and wax to make it look darker or deeper gloss? I wouldn't be able to answer that question since I didn't get the gloss black or blue... I might order Gloss Red or Blue for other metals. Not gun parts.
I don't think you'd need armadillo on top of gunkote; never hurts to put it on though. Anyone has feedback on this issue?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Interesting experiment; I'm anxious as anyone to see how well it works out for you. Did you spray all surfaces of the slide with the gunkote, or just the outer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That stuff works pretty well. I tried it on a rusted shotgun barrel and it came out great. As with any refinish surface prep is critical. Sandblasting is really recommended.

I ordered another can and hopefully this week will be refinishing a Makarov in matte silver. The only problem I had with the shotgun barrel was pooling and it not being quite even. That's why an airbrush kit works better, but the aerosol is pretty good especially for the price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good point about aerosol and airbrushing.
I have practiced much in the arts of Gundam model kits with spray paints (whites, red, and blue) so I'm used to spray cans. The trick is to do it 1 foot away, and not to overspray (hardest part)!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Nice job! I've seen some guns, mostly older milsurps, done up in Gun-Kote, and they all turned out nice. I especially like the looks of a CZ52 in a satiny stainless color...mmmm..... :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
mr0w1, do you think this Brownell's stuff will work well on top of the factory Parkerizing on a CZ 52? I want mine done in Gloss Blue, to contrast against some really pretty Zebrawood grips I bought. A CZ 52 is going to need a good amount of surface prep, more than just grit-blasting (Especially if I want it done in Gloss Blue).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hmmm...I apologize, as it appears that I spewed forth the BS. When I saw Gun-Kote I thought Duracoat, which is another DIY finish that is fairly popular over at the www.surplusrifle.com website. I apologize if I got your hopes up that I might have some useful information.

That said, I'd still go over to www.surplusrifle.com for Gun-Kote info, as the topic does come up over there every now and then.

For Duracoat information (since I already dug it up), you might wanna check out the following links:

A How-To for Duracoat:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/duracoat/index.asp

A couple CZ52 Duracoat jobs:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=342267
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=358677

Sorry about that. Hope it's still some help.

mr0w1

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the links mr0w1. Cool CZ 52 examples. I'm kinda pumped about trying this, especially since I don't have to worry about screwing up my XD.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I did a 38 spcl with Molly Resin, used an airbursh. Looks like the greygreen molly resin is not as shiney. I've been wanting to do my XD but haven't been able to work up the nerve. Nice job your XD.
Did you sandblast it or just use sandpaper, are you going to take the slide apart before you bake it?

Here is the 38 I did.
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18942&highlight=molly+resin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
agalindo,
I took the slide apart, except for the chamber indicator. and baked the whole thing. That's the biggest part; the baking makes a huge difference after the spraying! It's tough now.... very tough. But I still have to wait 48 or some hours until it's fully cured.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Thanks. Still want to do my XD but I just haven't had the time to take it apart and sand blaste it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts