Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this over at AR15.com Slings and Accessories section. It was originally posted by 'ggllggll' over there as an alternative to expensive slings. Seems everyone that made one using this tutorial was impressed with the ease of assembly and usefulness of this DIY project.

With that said, there was a Marine that built one similar to this prior to the posting that suggests using tube webbing rather than flat webbing for comfort and it reduces snagging. The tube webbing adds a bit more to material costs but I'll take the word of someone who actually used this in combat situations. Either way, the project looks very simple and I'm going to build one this weekend.

Below is the posting for those who don't have AR15.com accounts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally created and posted by Matt aka ggllggll on AR15.com

I was bored today so I took some time to figure this out so here it is, build you own tactical sling STEP BY STEP with pictures. Here's what you're going to build...

Best thing, its the same type of sling that can cost as much as 40 bucks, you'll build it for under $11!

here we go

Step 1:

gather all parts needed for the build they are:

7.5 feet of 1.5" wide nylon web
5 inch piece of 1.5" wide nylon web <-------I'm getting feedback that this piece works much better 7 inches long. To each his own, assembly is easier with the longer piece.
Two 15 inch pieces of 1" wide nylon web
Two 1.5" wide buckles
Three 1.5" wide slide locks
Two 1" wide slide locks
Tape measure
Scissors to make the 5" piece and the two 15 inchers
Lighter to seal the ends of the nylon web

All the parts needed to make the sling can be found at ACE hardware for $10.08

Step 2:

Slide a female buckle end onto the 1.5" web and then put a slide lock on the tail of the web itself. Paying attention to the direction of the slide and female end in the picture

Step 3:

Loop the web back and through the slide lock installed in the 2nd step, make your loop 27 inches long. Paying attention to the direction of the slide and female end as before, use the picture if it helps.

Step 4:

Slide a 1.5" slide lock on to the web, note that you will leave an open end of the new slide lock pointing out, this will now be the "outside" of the sling. Follow picture.

Step 5:

Assemble this piece using the 5" long piece of 1.5" wide web and one female and one male end of 1.5" buckles. This step would be hard to describe use the picture for the details, but pay close attention to the way the web is routed and the direction of the buckles.

Step 6:

Slide the assembly you made in step 5 onto the sling as shown in the picture.

Step 7:

Assemble this mess on the open end of the sling using the last male buckle and a slide stop. I left the web loose in this picture to illustrate the way to route the sling through all the parts. Note that the tail of the web is on the outside of the sling, as described in step 4

Step 8:

Tighten step 7 down to look like this, only leave 1/4-1/2 inch of web past the slide lock

Step 9:

Using the two 15" pieces of 1" wide web and the two 1" wide slide locks pass them through like shown in the picture. This is where you will use the open end of the 1.5" lock left over from step 4. The 1" web passes through the outside of the male buckle installed in step 7 and 8

Step 10:

Tighten everything down good, and snap all the buckles, you'll have something that looks like this when your done!

and here it is on an AR using GG&G sling things

I hope you found this useful. If your not up to building one yourself I can make it for you for 20 dollars shipped just IM me.

Thanks for looking!
Matt

------------------------------------------------------------

I've been getting requests on how to use the sling.....Its completely understandable that some don't know how to use the sling/for that reason I offer you: SLING USE

Carry in the front, pay attention to how the sling loops over the left shoulder and under the right arm.

Carry on the right side, works well for most applications, can also be modified to sling weapon behind back by just sliding the gun further behind.

Left side carry, excellent for transition drills, when the gun is dropped it will naturally slide to this position clearing the way for holster use on right thigh or hip.

Backpack carry, by splitting the sling straps one for left and one for right shoulder, the weapon can be carried like a backpack for a very comfortable long term carry, a hike for instance, in the sand, carrying a log of fire wood, uphill, both ways

Ready for use, presenting the weapon from the left side carry position, when finished drop gun and it will naturally return to left side carry, smooth!

Transitioning the weapon from right to left shoulder with the sling is as easy as uncoupling the foreward-most buckle. This adds a foot or so to the sling length and makes it possible to shoot left handed while slung for a right handed shooter. Vice Versa for lefty's!

Hope this helps all!
Matt

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
warp, the PDF links I found aren't working for me. Could you post a link to a working one? Might help with anyone else looking for the PDF link in that thread.

When I saw this thread on ARF I immediately thought of posting it here. Lots of new AR buyers/builders visiting this section of the forum so I figured people could save some $$ on a sling to use on mags or whatever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's a great post, but only if you can find a place that sells the supplies. I have called 4 diffrent ACE hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Do it Best, and TrueValue and no one has nylon web. It seems odd that no one has the stuff and I live in the second largest city in the state.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
For the nylom webbing, you shoud probably check material/arts and craft stores i am guessing, and then they should have the plastic hardware to. I work at a place where we mfg nylon products, so we had everything here, i plan on building this thing tonight or this weekend.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I found 1.5" webbing and the 1.5" plastic hardware at a local surplus/camping supplies store last year and built the sling using those instructions. Those instructions are great. However, I made a variation as far as attaching it to the gun.

I triple looped a piece of paracord through a few vent holes on my quad rail HG, and finished it with a double fisherman's knot. I left enough space so that I can get a snap hook underneath all three loops. For the buttstock (M4 6-pos type), I removed the sling attachment point and looped paracord through the slot under the tube and through the original sling point notch. I couldn't find HK-type snap hooks, so I used regular swivel snap hooks to attached to the paracord points on the gun. It works pretty well. The only thing I don't like are the bright, shiny silver snap hooks. I recently got my sewing machine up and running, so I plan to make some little covers for the snap hooks.

If anyone is interested, I can post pics later tonight.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, post pics.

If you are looking for black plastic snap hooks, you should be able to find them. PM me, i might be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks, but I had the option to buy black plastic swivel snap hook thingies, but I was afraid they would break. Not that I run around and do ninja rolls with my gun or anything, but still, I didn't want to run the risk of the plastic breaking, and the rifle taking an unexpected digger.

Oh, and DIY Tactical is a good source for sling stuff. And they're good to deal with, too. I've had a good experience with them. DIY Tactical, Tactical Gear Making Supplies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I actually used this post and modified it to make the adjustable two point vickers sling and it cost me around ten bucks. I'm not sure if they still do this but itwNexus will ship you a couple of trial buckles for free I think I got four sets from them.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Here's my DIY sling I made last year for my 9mm using the instructions above.

The swivel snaps are sort of big, but they work pretty well. I have yet to fab up covers for them, which will dress things up a bit. Currently I am playing with tight loops for connection points. With a little more paracord, one canmake up longer loops that more closely mimic the connection points in the original design:

Those instruction have also helped me modify another sling I have. I have a Specter Gear CQB sling that I made into a CST (Cross Shoulder Transition) version. CST upgrade is the squarish-looking buckle and blue webbing. I have since acquired tan buckles, but haven't had time to throw them on. the more rounded black buckle to the right is the Emergency Release Buckle that is part of the original sling.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
went to Ace hardware yesturday to buy what i needed to do this DIY sling, and the only things they had was they 1 inch locks, and the 1 inch nylon cording.. went to lowes, and they too didnt have even that much:(

gonna try home depot, if they dont have it, i guess i'll just order one from someone.

cheers

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check the yellow pages for a safety supply company. Those kinds of places usually have everything under the sun when it comes to buckles and webbing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts