Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two schools of thought here.

Some believe in having the same ammo type for all the guns so you can reload without as much confusion in a shtf setting.

I look more long term and intend to follow the diversify strategy. Ammo will be hard to come by in a shtf scenario. Casting your net with more ammo types may give you a better chance of finding it and keeping at least one of your guns running.

I'm looking at the total economic collapse scenario in my prep.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have several different caliber firearms, and ammunition in quantity for each. However, my two guns that are "primary" SHTF guns are a 9mm XD9SC pistol, and a 9mm CX4 carbine.

My reasoning for both being the same caliber is that it's easier to carry ammo. My reason for selecting 9mm is availability of ammo.

Having said that, if I bug out, then I'm hoping to be able to take my three long guns, and four pistols, and all my ammunition, but if I can't, then it will be the two 9mm guns. If I bug in, then I'm ready for anything :)

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Stick to nato rounds for the most part.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can see where you're going with having multiple calibers but personally I stick to 9mm .556, 22lr, and 12ga. The only exception is my wife's .357 EDC. She prefers the simplicity of the revolver.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I only have what I see a need for.

semi auto handgun
semi auto rifle
bolt gun
semi auto .22

shot gun is next on the list.

I can't disagree with having an assortment of calibers but I am focused. I wish I could get the others guys on my team to be as well.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I handload for all my calibers and have enough resources to make at least 1k rounds of each. I could make up at least 2.5k rounds of 9mm. This doesn't include the factory ammo I have, but that's mostly limited to my two primary calibers, 9mm and .223/5.56.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Standardize. Pistol & carbine in the same caliber.

Look at it this way. Pack up all your weapons you will BUG with. Let's say you have a well stocked larder, er... safe and you pick a .22 rifle, .223 rifle, 9mm pistol and a 12ga. How many rounds of each you going to bring? Probably 500 in .22lr. (maybe 1000). Probably what, 3-500 in .223? About the same in 9mm. Probably 50 slugs, 50 00buck and 100 bird shot in 12ga. Now weigh all that! Now load up a back pack with that much weight of bricks and add 3 golf clubs to simulate the length of the rifles. Now add 4 liters of water, a pound of trail mix, a pound of jerky 3 pair extra socks, rain kit, water filter, flashlights, extra batteries, etc etc etc to fill your kit. Go walk 5-10 miles. Fun ain't it? No -- it ain't.

Now get a .AR-15 complete upper conversion kit for the 5.7x28 and a FNFiveseveN pistol (or carbine/pistol combo for 9mm or .40 s&w or .45 acp --what ever floats your boat ) Figure on 500-1000 rounds of 5.7x28. Weigh that and do your walk.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I try to standardize as much as possible. But, I also know that no one gun is perfect for 100% of situations. So, as ForTehNguyen pointed out, I go with NATO/mil caliber weapons. 5.56 for the majority of potential defensive work, a .308/7.62x51 for stand-off, and strictly 9mm for a sidearm - these will be the most common calibers available from foraging so have something that can use them.

Having a .22LR for hunting when SHTF is also not a bad idea. You do not have to burn through more valuable or powerful ammo to eat and .22LR is dirt cheap so easy to stockpile.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A big part of my shtf prep is on the assumption of economic collapse through inflation. That will take everything else with it- electic and water services, oil and gasoline, and by extension food from the grocery stores, and a store's ability to restock through trucks. The massive layoffs and closures may also send factories out of business.

Ammo will be hard if not impossible to find, without even factoring a government gun grab. We will be forced into secret markets, trading and scavenging. My goal is to be able to find most types of ammo and be able to use them.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
the obvious answer to commonizing vs. diversifying iare conversion barrels and the like.

It doesn't matter for the most part. If you are talking about some distant future with no ammo production, there will still be gun floating around, many more guns that the supply of ammo will support. On the other hand, if you have a huge horde of ammo, better have more than 1 gun for it in case of a brake or loss. Guns are cheap compared to a pallet of ammo.

My horde doesn't qualify and I get gun as they come to me. I have only researched and purchased 2 of my guns, but even right at the last minute, I was willing to get something else. my others were unexpected deals or gifts. so, as a result I have a whole lotta diversity of calibers. To be honest, I expect to get much more diversity before I get any repeats (save maybe 22lr) Why limit yourself. preparing for a nuclear winter is not my primary purpose in getting firearms. If that was the case, I'd be better off investing in a deep bunker and set up a mushroom farm, or some major league pellet guns

in a real pinch, all you really need is a bullet mold and a similar shell to reload.
got a 40? find some 38+p? pull it apart and take the powder and primer for your 40. melt down the lead if it is scarce, but there are plenty of wheel weights and car batteries out there.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've got enough guns and ammo in various calibers to feel comfortable.

And I'll take whatever I need, if it's a bad enough scenario ;)

Field pick-up list:
1. M4 w/select fire capability
2. M1 Abrams
3. UN Blue Helmet (for covert operations)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've got enough guns and ammo in various calibers to feel comfortable.

And I'll take whatever I need, if it's a bad enough scenario ;)

Field pick-up list:
1. M4 w/select fire capability
2. M1 Abrams
3. UN Blue Helmet (for covert operations)
Yes, get a UN peacekeeper helmet so that you may contrast against the green and/or black helmets being worn by the U.S. military. Better yet, a Stormtrooper helmet! No one would notice you then and you'd sound really cool speaking through a mic.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yes, get a UN peacekeeper helmet so that you may contrast against the green and/or black helmets being worn by the U.S. military.
A couple of things,
We wear ACU or MultiCam (OCP) helmets now
and
I doubt many US soldiers would take up arms against their own people and definitley not fight side by side the UN in their own country if that is what you mean.

As to the ammo I like to own at least 2 guns in every caliber I have at least 1 gun in.
I believe in common calibers
9mm
7.62x51
12 gauge

7.62x39, .40, and .38SPC are also god to go.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
A couple of things,
We wear ACU or MultiCam (OCP) helmets now
I wasn't speaking of the helmet covers. The helmet covers are ACU or digital cam, but the helmet themselves are either olive green or black.

A couple of things,
I doubt many US soldiers would take up arms against their own people and definitley not fight side by side the UN in their own country if that is what you mean.
AZXD posted "UN Blue Helmet (for covert operations) ". When would we ever see UN Peacekeepers in the U.S.?.? It was a funny.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government."
- Henry Kissinger in an address to the Bilderberger meeting at Evian, France, May 21, 1992.

The people in the highest circles of power want foreign troops in the U.S. Send the U.S. military overseas and bring in the UN to deal with martial law. It would be the perfect way to enforce it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The people in the highest circles of power want foreign troops in the U.S. Send the U.S. military overseas and bring in the UN to deal with martial law. It would be the perfect way to enforce it.

That's what the Romans did. Gathered up troops and used them to invade their historical enemies. Also had troops patrol foreign lands. That way there was no sympathy for the oppressed.

It worked thousands of years ago and it still works today.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I personally keep the more common Nato calibers, 9mm, 5.56x39, 7.62x51, 12g and .22lr I also have .45 acp. My group has enough guns in those calibers for me to feel comfortable, the issue now is loading this ammo quickly, I'm looking at from now on only buying 5.56 on stripper clips and using the LULA stripper clip thing, and getting a few LULA loaders for the pistols. While my group doesn't all have say glock 19's we all do own 9mm's and I think thats fine.

Now other things we are looking at is the more uncommon calibers 380, 357mag, 410 shotgun, and even 5.45 and 7.62x39 7.62x54.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts