Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girl has a box of ammo from her ex at her place. its ammo that i cant use an no one that i know can use. ive been reading an a lot of people say to contact your local pd, is that the only answer.? would a local gun range take them or no? i know you cant just toss it, thats common sense.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
my girl has a box of ammo from her ex at her place. its ammo that i cant use an no one that i know can use. ive been reading an a lot of people say to contact your local pd, is that the only answer.? would a local gun range take them or no? i know you cant just toss it, thats common sense.
I'd take it to my local gun shop if it were me. I've seen people bring in their old, old ammo for them to dispose of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its .22 some shotgun rounds an other hunting rounds. mainly its rifle rounds an the shotguns rounds my friends cant use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm in a similar situation- I plan to try to trade it face to face one of these days. I figure I can get some old ammo that I can shoot, or maybe trade it for other stuff. This way, at least someone on XDtalk will be able to shoot it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually just use a vice and hammer and nail... or a fire always works.. naw im kidding. sell them on gunbroker as a package deal.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I used to shoot with a guy on the police force and he took anything we put in the "bad ammo" box at the range and disposed of it. I guess I should have dumped the years worth of reloading "mistakes" that I had saved up. I got rid of about half of it by pulling bullets, then burning the powder. I "heated" the primed cases in a heavy barrel I had a fire in as I did not want to dump live primed cases. Probably not the best way to do it but I stayed away from the barrel for a whole day and made sure the fire was out before cleaning out the mess. Sort of sounded like the forth of July!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I typically pull the bullets from the casings and throw it all away. However if it's a lot of ammo, you can safely(may not be legal in some areas) just throw a live round away.

A round that is not in a pressure building environment(not in a barrel), regardless if thrown in fire, or smashed by the trash man, doesn't contain any energy, and at worst has the bullet popping out 2"-3" away from the casing. It other words, a round by it self, poses no danger.

Of course, I dont suggest tossing rounds in a fire-but you could.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I typically pull the bullets from the casings and throw it all away. However if it's a lot of ammo, you can safely(may not be legal in some areas) just throw a live round away.

A round that is not in a pressure building environment(not in a barrel), regardless if thrown in fire, or smashed by the trash man, doesn't contain any energy, and at worst has the bullet popping out 2"-3" away from the casing. It other words, a round by it self, poses no danger.

Of course, I dont suggest tossing rounds in a fire-but you could.
The primers do shoot out, so be very carefull if you do this. I just can't bring myself to throw them in the garbage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my handgun class, they actually listed "thowing it into a fire" as a valid method of disposing of old ammo.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hell yeah, have a bonfire out in the middle of nowhere. Just make sure everyone's behind solid cover and toss the old stuff in. Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well if you know of anywhere out in the middle of nowhere you could always carry a set of post hole diggers and bury it. Thats how a buddy of mine said he disposed of some old ammo that he found in the attic of an house he was helping to clean out after the owner passed away.

Said he went out in the middle of nowhere with a set of post hole diggers and dug a deep hole in the woods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts