Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I unloaded open carry since I haven't gotten a ccw yet. But anyways, I have a clip I keep in a belt holster next to my xd40. I haven't been to the range lately (so I haven't rotated them out) and have had the same ammo in my clip for a while now. Randomly selected from 2 boxes of Federal FMJFN that shot good. Now I'm gonna go out and get me a box of hp's. Its not really a problem, but my ammo isn't nice and shiny anymore. Can I use a brass/metal polish on the first 2 rounds to keep em shiny or will that cause feed problems?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Why bother? The use of unknown solvents or polishes on your ammo is not recommended. Some can damage brass over the long term. FWIW, they are called magazines or mags. Clips are diff, bullets are different than ammo or cartridges. I know it's picking knits, but is what it is. Hopefully you have shot some of the FMJ to test for reliable functioning, same goes for any JHP. All carry ammo should be verified reliable in YOUR gun regardless of what anyone tells you works. That also is what it is.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
well, since we are off topic already;

Is it really a magazine if it is not inserted into the gun yet? or is it just something that holds rounds...aka a clip?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fredj338 said:
Why bother? The use of unknown solvents or polishes on your ammo is not recommended. Some can damage brass over the long term. FWIW, they are called magazines or mags. Clips are diff, bullets are different than ammo or cartridges. I know it's picking knits, but is what it is. Hopefully you have shot some of the FMJ to test for reliable functioning, same goes for any JHP. All carry ammo should be verified reliable in YOUR gun regardless of what anyone tells you works. That also is what it is.
I am aware of the magazine vs clips problem. I was just in a rush on my phone, but thanks for the reminder. As far as corrosive polishes and whatnot, I have a 27 tbucket with solid brass radiator, headlights, and stoplamps. Polishing brass is nothing new and nothing fun for me, haha. I have a ample supply of various polishes and waxes. I guess ill just buy a box and use a few different polishes and then hit the range. I suppose that would be the only thing to do if no ones done it before. The only thing I have to consider is the temp of the shell one the powder ignites if it will leave a residue in the chamber and cause ejection problems.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Why does it matter if your ammo is not shiny if it goes bang who cares if its shiny or dull

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Is shiny that big of a deal? I have some ammo from the 70s and 80s that's tarnished and scratched that I shoot from time to time and it all works just fine. Shiny and new doesn't mean it will perform any better and doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will feed any better. As long as it's clean and the case is not damaged, the ammo should work fine.

If you just want pretty then by all means. Just make sure you clean off the residue so that it doesn't cause feeding or other issues as suggested above. Another option is to rotate the old ammo down into the mag and put some shiny ones on top.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shiny really isn't that big of a deal. But since I oc unloaded my carry mag is always out/exposed. And the first 2 bullets are visible. Just don't like em looking like I found em at the bottom of a dirty barrel. The rest of my ammo, I could care less if they were bright pink! Its all range stuff so it makes no difference to me. Just the stuff that's visible/exposed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
well, since we are off topic already;

Is it really a magazine if it is not inserted into the gun yet? or is it just something that holds rounds...aka a clip?
Simply put, a magazine has a spring. A clip doesn't. So it does not matter whether or not it is in the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts