Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an AK this weekend and had it discharge on me in my apartment last night (about 11:30pm). No one really noticed it or cared, nobody was outside etc, and when the cop came he said nobody but me called it in. Yes the discharge was entirely my fault and my finger jerked the trigger doing something. I called it in right away to the Orlando police and they sent out a unit who did a very brief police report. They said since it was only in my apartment, no one was hurt, and the bullet itself was found on my kicthen floor showing it didnt not enter another apartment, im not in any trouble. They pretty much said "be more careful" and left. So.........here is my question: Where I live is a "condo" community with a home owners associaten, and I rent one of the units from a landlord that deals on behalf of the owner of the unit. Do you think it will be reported to the homeowners association that this happened?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Pry not. Unless someone lets them know... Which if they heard a gun shot means yes they know lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please look up the 4 rules of guns safety. If you have a brain fart and break one but obey the other three it might save your derriere.

I've only had one AD/ND and that was from a recently deformed left trigger finger that was injured in an accident. Doing everything else right made it an embarrassment to me w/o witnesses.

I was doing left hand drills and didn't realize my muscle memory thought I had the finger outside the guard when it was inside.

Szumi

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
without trying to be harsh, this stuff gives people ammo against firearms and when they hear it was an AK... its one more statistic point against AK's and "assault rifles".

I'm glad no one was hurt or killed.

telling each other they are too dumb to own firearms or to kill themselves is pretty uncalled for. sometimes there is a malfunction sometimes it's human error.

if someone is playing around and kills someone thats something they will have to pay for. everyone already knows this. he took responsibility and called the cops himself. he knows he was wrong and admitted it was his fault. he knows what he did and from the post here... I figure he probably (hopefully) learned a valuable lesson and hopefully others might read this and learn this lesson from reading about it and not have it happen themselves.

I personally choose to not have loaded mags in firearms at my home. they are with but not in. I wouldn't ever want to feel what this man felt when it went off. I wouldn't play with a loaded weapon but accidents happen. mechanical failure does happen.

its hard to tell realistically how often either happens, ya know? either way it just sucks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd like to know why people who shoot themselves or have AD's feel the need to come here and tell everyone. I'd be too embarrassed to say anything at all. The fact that it didn't make it into an adjacent apartment is a bit surprising. Count yourself lucky and learn from what happened.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Maybe he is just trying to be honest about it so that other people can learn from his mistakes.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
holy smokes... Honestly I would be scared to death to live next door to you and if I was an apartment neighbor of someone that did that I would move to another flat.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
understandable..........Im removing the rifles from my home and keeping them in a friends gun safe.....I did admit it was MY error, i never came in here trying to blame it on the gun......I did NOT make this post to "tell everyone" about my discharge, but more so to find out about the protocal when a report is filed if it goes to the neighborhood or not........no one in the entire place was even outside or really acknowledged it happend.........I called it in b/c i know im supposed to

·
Registered
28 Posts
(I say this as if you were someone I knew and not myself looking down my nose at you) Not everyone is meant to have a gun. If you decide to keep the Ak or any other guns please seek out courses on gun safety. You were very lucky you didn't hurt yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
glan you and everyone in your building are safe. How the hell did you find the projectile on your kitchen floor? Had it already gone through a wall? What did it hit?

stay safe man I hope this was an eye opener for you and you change the way you handle your firearms.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe me, im scared of the rifles now and will be getting propper training with them. The handguns, im very familiar with and have had multiple advanced courses with. I know gun safety is gun safety and what I know with handguns in general should carry over to the rifle but its just weird to describe how this happened. The gun has been in storage for about 10 years so the mag release (which is right infront of the trigger) is very tight. I was trying to release the mag, having to push on this thing hard as hell, and my finger slipped off and hit the trigger. There was a loaded round in the chamber, which is why I was trying to release the mag to cycle out that loaded round. I was basically just testing that it was feeding properly and messed up. I had it aimed at lower wall / floor which is why it did not travel far when it discharged. I cant take back what happened, but I have deff learned a HUGE lesson.......thats all i can say

·
Registered
309 Posts
People sure love being Captain Obvious on here. Anyone who is blasting the OP, you guys think he didn't feel incredibly stupid when it happened? I am also willing to bet that it is a mistake that he will remember for the rest of his life and strive very diligently to make sure it doesn't happen again. It is also a mistake that no one on this forum but the OP has to live with, and he was kind enough to share an embarrassing situation with us. OP, you will have to get used to people using internet forums to act like children and talk to people in ways that they would never speak to people IRL. It is what the internet is for. Thanks for posting and I am glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had it already gone through a wall? What did it hit?
Even if it did go through one wall you would think that type of round would go through at least one more. Not that I wish that would have happened. He must have got very lucky and hit a stud or something else with enough substance to slow it down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am curious. When something like this happens, do you call 911 or just the PD number to make tge report? To OP: what did YOU do. To member, what SHOULD one do?

·
Registered
238 Posts
ok..lets see how much damage i can do here..lol

I think what we are all trying to say is Be careful..accidents happen. Yet to have an assault rifle in an apt/condo setting...man, you have to be extra extra careful. Thank goodness that when you had an ND (Negligent Discharge) it was pointed in a non-populated area.

I know that NEviciousNE's words are a bit sharp...(ok alot sharp..lol)..but had that been an adjourning wall in an apartment and the bullet had came to rest in a person or worse a child or a baby.... The home owner's association would be the last thing on your mind!
"It was An Accident" would be your excuse in court and for the media as they destroy you and your family's reputation and as the community turns on you for ending the life of another by your CHOICE to handle a MILITARY grade ASSAULT firearm in a condo..where the defendant knew kids were in the area...((do you see how they would have made you out into an incompetent, malicious individual?)). Then lord forbid you have a CCW permit and the accident..then we all get to see these "artists" at work and watch them weave the story and paint this picture and group all of us together and stamp LIABILITY to the community NOT law abiding Asset.

At the end of the day..no one was hurt, it was anaccident. So again...as i'm sure you have already beaten urself up about..without any of our help..Be Careful. When handling a firearm at home (for most of us) it should be unloaded..load it for the range or anytime the firearm is on duty. Does that make sense? If you wanna play with the gun (again..we all know its not a toy..but we all look at and mod or toys..i mean guns) not only unload and clear the firearm and dble check that you did...BUT put the ammo in another room...or in a drawer away from where your weapon is. And when your done cleaning firearm, practicing drills or whatever..reload and make ready your weapon IF it is going on duty. If it is going to be put up...and not on duty..then no ammo goes in it..yet you will treat the weapon like it is loaded at all times.

Lesson learned! Let's move forward! Get training like all of us are doing to sharpen our skills and make us an ASSET to our community and family in case we ever have to defend them...again..a gun is the last resort.

See Around Bro!

·
Registered
957 Posts
"Condo" pop instead of a "desk" pop, I like the sound of that. All joking aside we have all done stupid sh#t , everyone. Some people learn some people just don't get it. In all honestly I would get a copy of the HOA rules/regs from your landlord and go from there. Be safe.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Forgive me but I have to ask. How did your finger hit the trigger if it slipped off the mag release? The mag release on AK's work by pushing away from the trigger towards the muzzle and then rocking the magazine forward. Did you mean that your finger on one hand slipped off the frame and hit the trigger while trying to release the mag with your other hand? I'm sorry but I'm trying to develop a mental picture as to how this happened.

·
Registered
957 Posts
ok..lets see how much damage i can do here..lol

MILITARY grade ASSAULT firearm in a condo..

!

Ok pet peve, Assault rifles are by definition capable of select-fire. It is my understanding automatic weapons are illegal under Florida law. What the Op has is a semi automatic military style rifle.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts