Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain to me why it is necessary to pull the trigger inorder to disassemble the weapon? What in the design makes this necessary?

Any help is apprecaited.

Hopefully this hasn't been covered.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I belive its because since you have it cocked (from locking the slide back to lift the disasemly lever) your sear is holding the fiering pin, and as long as it is doing that the slide is not free to move forward...I may be wrong...but thats what I have been able to figure out by playing with mine..

·
Registered
192 Posts
the hs-xd is designed to be dry fired first before any disassembly can be done. since pulling the slide back and slide locking it cocks the striker (firing pin) which is being blocked by the sear. once the disassebly catch has been moved and the slide returned to battery, dry firing releases the striker. sounds complicated but in reality its very simple:D. the newer xdm doesn't need to be dried fire in order to be disassembled

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for that explanation.

What is different with the XDm design that makes dry-firing on disassembly not necessary?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I belive its because since you have it cocked (from locking the slide back to lift the disasemly lever) your sear is holding the fiering pin, and as long as it is doing that the slide is not free to move forward...I may be wrong...but thats what I have been able to figure out by playing with mine..
yup that is correct

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thank you both for that explanation.

What is different with the XDm design that makes dry-firing on disassembly not necessary?
The XD(M) has a lever that drops the sear when the take down lever is removed eliminating the need to pull the trigger. This lever can be removed and the gun will function like an XD, you will have to pull the trigger to drop the sear.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with the XD as is. I was just asking myself why the XDm could be disassembled w/o pulling the trigger and the XD can't. While companies have many various accessories for the XD, I simply wanted to know if it is even possible for the lever regliske mentioned to be added making said disassembly possbile.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Interesting. In theory, could this lever be added to regular XD's?
No the sear components are totally different on the XD and will not accept the XD(M) parts. The tread among tuners of XD(M)s is to remove this bar to create a better feeling trigger. I personally have no problem with pulling the trigger to release the slide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts