Springfield XD Forum banner

Disassembly Questions for Refinishing

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  blkhawk303 
#1 ·
Ok, can't seem to find the post w/ all the great info. on disassembly (must have been before the purge) but I am about to send my sub off to get refinished (once I decide on where to send it) and need some pointers.

I want to have all associated metalic pieces (trigger, mag release, grip safety & take-down levers done at the same time so.......

First, let me ask, will I need to take my XD apart prior to sending it off to be refinished or can some places do this?

Second, if I have to do it, how difficult will it be to get these pieces off and are there any detailed sites illustrating or documenting the process?

Also need to know what tools I will need (punches etc.) as I do not have any gunsmithing tools whatsoever. Just mechanics tools.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Here you go for the disassembly
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

And most places will do the work for you, since they have to take it apart anyway. Then reassemble to make shure the weapon functions. Its not that hard, you may save some money in doing the work for them but probably not much. Its not hard and anyone with any mechanical ability at all can do it.

#5 ·
ajamesp51 said:
Here you go for the disassembly
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

And most places will do the work for you, since they have to take it apart anyway. Then reassemble to make shure the weapon functions. Its not that hard, you may save some money in doing the work for them but probably not much. Its not hard and anyone with any mechanical ability at all can do it.
LOL - you beat me to the post!

Ok, so once I decide on who I want to refinish my XD, I just send them the whole gun? Considering that I want all the little pieces done of course.

#6 ·
You can save alot of money if you dont send the frame. leave the slide alone...take apart the frame, then you can mail through the post office priority for about 6.00 dollars, and it does not have to be overnighted either way since there are no mailing restrictions (check you state) for parts. its the same as buying an ar-15 kit the whole upper and parts not a firearm.

#8 ·
Cool. Thanks for you replies guys.

FYI - I just got an email back (just after I posted this question) from FALCON FINISHING who offers a regular thermally cured polymer finish as well as a ceramic "Extreme" option that is supposed to add a superior hardness and abrasion resistance, rated from 7H to 8H hardness and are rated from 1500 to 2500, 5% salt spray. (not even sure what this means - is this good?)

Anyway, the guy said, "The cost to coat the slide and parts would be 80.00 plus return shipping and insurance. If you send just the parts and no disassembly and assembly required , including the sights removed it would be 20% off..... 64.00.." This would be for the regular polymer finish. Waiting on a price for the ceramic coating.

#9 ·
blkhawk303 said:
Anyone know EXACTLY what I will need to take off the slide to send it in for refinishing? Can I leave the firing pin and all that stuff in there or does that have to be disassembled too?
You'll want to take the slide completely apart. Jeff degreases the slide and if there are any pins, etc., that is a place where grease/oil can hide. If you leave any parts installed, he'll have to take them out anyway and you might get charged for that.

That ceramic finish is friggin' awesome looking!

#11 ·
Disassembly has its merits.

If I had disassembled my XD before I sent it to Mahovsky's, they wouldn't have gouged the dovetail by removing my sights incorrectly, or bent the locking block pin retainers by punching the locking block pins out in the wrong direction.

They also did not remove the extractor, and simply hard chromed over everything with the extractor still in the slide. This was why my extractor was a bitch to remove; it was CHROMED IN PLACE.

:evil:

#12 ·
blkhawk303 said:
Anyway, the guy said, "The cost to coat the slide and parts would be 80.00 plus return shipping and insurance. If you send just the parts and no disassembly and assembly required , including the sights removed it would be 20% off..... 64.00.." This would be for the regular polymer finish. Waiting on a price for the ceramic coating.
Is the 7H and 8H he refers to the "pencil hardness" of the finish?

Not a bad price if you handle the disassembly yourself.

#14 ·
Damn, I was kinda hoping to NOT have to disassemble but it sounds like more positives to doing it than negatives.

PROS:
1. I learn my pistol inside and out
2. I save money by doing it myself
3. I don't have to worry about someone jacking up my gun because they also don't know what the hell they're doing!

CONS:
1. I have to take it apart and HOPE I get it back together again

#15 ·
blkhawk303 said:
Cool. Thanks for you replies guys.

FYI - I just got an email back (just after I posted this question) from FALCON FINISHING who offers a regular thermally cured polymer finish as well as a ceramic "Extreme" option that is supposed to add a superior hardness and abrasion resistance, rated from 7H to 8H hardness and are rated from 1500 to 2500, 5% salt spray. (not even sure what this means - is this good?)

Ok, here's the scoop on the ceramic coating (in case you cared).....

Jeff @ Falcon Finishing said:
The price on my web page for complete pistols 140.00 to 185.00 plus 25.00 add on for extreme service or 40.00 add on for extreme service 2-tone covers a majority of the pistols and I usually discount around 20% for no disassembly or assembly the 140.00 base price would be disassembled gun for standard polymer and normally 25.00 on that for disassembled extreme service job.
Thanks jeff
He also mentioned that because I was only looking to do a 3" slide (sub) it would be a little less than the extra $25 for the extreme (ceramic) coating. In a nutshell, if I disassemble my sub and send it to him, it will run me approx. $80.00 + return shipping.

Just an FYI to you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.