Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on ajamesp51's disassembly page it says to use brass pin punches. How important is it to use brass as apposed to punches made out of other materials? I figured the reason for brass was it's a softer metal and would be less inclined to damage the pins and other parts. The reason I ask is I have had a really hard time finding brass punches. I did manage to find 1 set of brass but the set only contained two sizes. Fortunately one of them was a 3/32. I went ahead and bout a set of steel punches, should I use these for the pins that I don’t have the sizes for in brass? Or should I wait and look harder for brass?

When reassembling the weapon what points do I need to lubricate? I haven't found anything that specifies this. Should I just use common sense and lube any pivot point and any point where metal on metal friction occurs?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You are correct about the brass not marring or damaging the metal. The pins on the XD come out with a few light taps. Moving the sights is another matter.
I went to Hobby Town and bought three different diameters of brass rod (about 18 inches long each) for about $5.00 total and cut these to 4 or 5 inches and made my own punches.
Here's an ebay store that does have a nice set of brass punches and I've seen them several times so I think he keeps them in stock. A set of 8 for $15.00. Brass Punches on ebay
A light lube on the slide rails is about all that is needed and a drop of oil on the guide rod and spring.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
After you wipe every thing down and do the cleaning....Wash or wipe your hands off. Then Take the Eezox and spray your palms fingers not till they drip but till they have a nice coat of clean oil on them. Now put your xd back together use your hands to spread the oil over the parts as you handle them. This way you oil them but not too much.

Use what you have they will work as was stated nothing except the sights have to be pounded out. A few taps from a steel punch wont hurt your pins.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a set of "star" wrenches that do the job for me just fine. I put an old baby diaper over the part before tapping the "star" wrench with a claw hammer.. it works.. I don't think you need anything fancy..

Raymond

1 - 4 of 4 Posts