Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got my XDM .40 Compact. Great gun. Took it to the range and am very pleased with how it handled. I know Springfields are usually very tight when they get out of the factory but this is kind of ridiculous. I have been working on disassembling the weapon for about 30 minutes now but can't get the disassembly lever to move at all. I'm ejecting the magazine, locking the slide to the rear (I've tried not locking it to the rear and just aligning the lever with the notch on the slide) but the lever wont move clockwise or counter clockwise. Does anybody have any kind of tips or anything for this? I really want to get this thing broken down and give it a good cleaning and oiling.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
make sure the gun is not loaded, check again to make sure its not loaded.

then lock slide all the way back.

disassembly lever should move from being parallel with the slide to perpendicular/straight up and down

you are saying that yours does not do that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make sure the gun is not loaded, check again to make sure its not loaded.

then lock slide all the way back.

disassembly lever should move from being parallel with the slide to perpendicular/straight up and down

you are saying that yours does not do that?
That's exactly right. I can NOT get the lever to rotate at all (clockwise or counter clockwise). Again, I've seen new guns that are stiff, but this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
That's exactly right. I can NOT get the lever to rotate at all (clockwise or counter clockwise). Again, I've seen new guns that are stiff, but this is ridiculous.
sounds like you are doing it right, i really dont know why it wont move

i would say call springfield monday, or if you feel comfortable smack the lever gently with a no mar hammer in the direction it needs to go, and see if it pops loose, then take the lever out and check for burrs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys. I took a chance and pulled out a mag light and gave it a few taps. It finally gave way. I've now disassembled and and reassembled a few times now without any problems. Thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Hey guys. I took a chance and pulled out a mag light and gave it a few taps. It finally gave way. I've now disassembled and and reassembled a few times now without any problems. Thanks for the tips guys!
As much as I think you should have used something rubber or plastic.....

I'm glad you got her done, did you take the lever out and look for burrs or wear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as I think you should have used something rubber or plastic.....

I'm glad you got her done, did you take the lever out and look for burrs or wear?
Ya, I was looking for something a little softer to use for it but it didn't seem to make any permanent marks or anything. I did take out the lever and check it. I'm no expert in the matter but I didn't see any kind of markings or burrs on the lever. Like I said, I repeated the process and it works fine now. I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Ya, I was looking for something a little softer to use for it but it didn't seem to make any permanent marks or anything. I did take out the lever and check it. I'm no expert in the matter but I didn't see any kind of markings or burrs on the lever. Like I said, I repeated the process and it works fine now. I'll keep you posted if it happens again.
If you didn't see anything obvious, you should be good to go.

Here's another question for you though.

Was this the first time you took it apart? If you took it apart before your last range trip, there is a chance the guide rod/spring assemble didn't get seated just right, but that's just a hair brain theory.

Glad its working out for you, good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts