Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Every Glock I have ever seen at the range that was malfunctioning on a regular basis, had aftermarket parts, or magazines in it.

Beefing up a race engine to perform better at the track, is not the same as installing the latest trendsetting doohickey on a firearm, because "Ninja Joe", the retired operator who now writes for Soldier Of Fortune said it's "totally rad".

And if, "everything can be modified better", perhaps you should tell that to the guy who designed that guide rod. Because I've got semi auto handguns with tens of thousands of rounds through them, and the factory stock guide rods that came with them sure as hell don't look like that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Many.... Including Glock and SA come with plastic... Pure crap. It may get the job done, but metal is better.
I have never once seen a plastic guide rod break on a Glock NEVER. Including all 7 of mine. Not 1. Plastic guide rods are not "crap". That metal POS in the photos above is crap. And it was sold as "better". It obviously wasn't. The people who make and sell all of this aftermarket garbage are out to make a buck as well, and sell it at a certain, "price point"..... All with far less of an investment, or reputation to protect.

And just because they sell something as "better" or "improved" doesn't mean it is. Far from it. It's no different with oil additives. Most all of them are a complete waste of money, and are pure garbage. That accomplish nothing but make you poorer. But people spend millions on them every year believing they're "better" as well. They all made both Morgan Lucas and Andy Granatelli damn near billionaires. With all of the thick, sticky (edit) in a bottle they sell. And many actually believe it's "better". In reality all they've become are bought and paid for members of the placebo effect. Nothing more.

All this aftermarket garbage exists for the exact the same reason Vegas does. Because there is massive profitability in both...... By selling smoke and mirrors. And without having to give back what people have invested, or were promised. Not in the least.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I exchanged emails with Pistol Gear. No joy. :( There were no instructions with the spring or heavy guude rod to grind flat the end coil.
You shouldn't need "instructions", or have to start grinding on a brand new guide rod. It's a drop in item.... Or at least it should be if it's made properly. If you can field strip and clean a semi auto pistol, you should be able to install one. This isn't your fault. This is the problem with a lot of this aftermarket crap. You spend your money in good faith buying this stuff, expecting it to work better than the factory part. (Otherwise what's the point?) Only to have the thing cause problems you didn't have with the factory part you replaced it with, that was running perfectly.

The aftermarket is lucrative with this kind of junk. Therein lies the problem. A LOT of it is just that.... Junk. You the consumer have no way of knowing until you buy it. Then, as you found out, it's too late. What irritates me, is I can all but guarantee you that you're not the only one having issues with that rod. Mostly because that company did little, if any actual testing before they threw that POS on the market to make a fast buck.

If they had extensively tested it, the same thing would have happened to them, that happened to you in your gun. And that's the basic problem with trying to make something "better" by purchasing aftermarket parts. Many don't test the way the factory does before putting it on the market. This holds even truer in the automotive world. Testing takes time, and costs money. They simply don't have the financial capital available to do it. A of of these guys are one man bands operating out of their basement. And unless you buy from a very reputable manufacturer, who has a good, solid reputation to protect, you are at the mercy quality wise at who you buy from. And many to most don't give a rats a$$.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If Springfield, (or any other manufacturer for that matter), ships their recoil springs with flat ends, why can't Wolff? Especially full well knowing if they don't, it's going to potentially cause issues, that can and do damage mating parts when installed straight from the box. That's ridiculous.

Common sense dictates if a guy is going to start changing out guide rod springs, he is also going to be screwing around with the guide rod as well. As I said, recoil springs and guide rods are a drop in item. This should be the case regardless of who manufacturers them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts