Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "heavy" guide rod from Pistol Gear does not appear to be holding up well in my XDM-10. I was going to contact the vendor via the website, but it seems that it no longer recognizes my account. Hmmm. I guess I'll try calling. Has anyone else had a similar experience or is my guide rod a one-off fluke? Perhaps it's a flawed design.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Why did you go with that over the factory GR?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Please don't run that broken component in your gun. Go back to what works.

·
Administrator
17,314 Posts
Well if Ford thought that aftermarket 460 crap worked better they would have installed it at the factory.....

Everything can be modified better. Companies produce products at a price point for the masses.

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Every Glock I have ever seen at the range that was malfunctioning on a regular basis, had aftermarket parts, or magazines in it.

Beefing up a race engine to perform better at the track, is not the same as installing the latest trendsetting doohickey on a firearm, because "Ninja Joe", the retired operator who now writes for Soldier Of Fortune said it's "totally rad".

And if, "everything can be modified better", perhaps you should tell that to the guy who designed that guide rod. Because I've got semi auto handguns with tens of thousands of rounds through them, and the factory stock guide rods that came with them sure as hell don't look like that.

·
Administrator
17,314 Posts
Every Glock I have ever seen at the range that was malfunctioning on a regular basis, had aftermarket parts, or magazines in it.

Beefing up a race engine to perform better at the track, is not the same as installing the latest trendsetting doohickey on a firearm, because "Ninja Joe", the retired operator who now writes for Soldier Of Fortune said it's "totally rad".

And if, "everything can be modified better", perhaps you should tell that to the guy who designed that guide rod. Because I've got semi auto handguns with tens of thousands of rounds through them, and the factory stock guide rods that came with them sure as hell don't look like that.
No, really.... Beefing up an engine is exactly the same thing. Exactly. And just because one part is crap, doesn't mean all parts are bad. I'm no fan of tungsten rods, but nothing inherently wrong if they are designed right for the job. And as we already know.... Early recoil springs were getting chewed up on the 10mm. My guess it tungsten is too brittle for the beating.

Many.... Including Glock and SA come with plastic... Pure crap. It may get the job done, but metal is better. Spring steel gets the job done, silicone does it better. MIM gets the job done (and can be done right) but most prefer machined.... Everything can be modified better. Everything.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Many.... Including Glock and SA come with plastic... Pure crap. It may get the job done, but metal is better.
I have never once seen a plastic guide rod break on a Glock NEVER. Including all 7 of mine. Not 1. Plastic guide rods are not "crap". That metal POS in the photos above is crap. And it was sold as "better". It obviously wasn't. The people who make and sell all of this aftermarket garbage are out to make a buck as well, and sell it at a certain, "price point"..... All with far less of an investment, or reputation to protect.

And just because they sell something as "better" or "improved" doesn't mean it is. Far from it. It's no different with oil additives. Most all of them are a complete waste of money, and are pure garbage. That accomplish nothing but make you poorer. But people spend millions on them every year believing they're "better" as well. They all made both Morgan Lucas and Andy Granatelli damn near billionaires. With all of the thick, sticky (edit) in a bottle they sell. And many actually believe it's "better". In reality all they've become are bought and paid for members of the placebo effect. Nothing more.

All this aftermarket garbage exists for the exact the same reason Vegas does. Because there is massive profitability in both...... By selling smoke and mirrors. And without having to give back what people have invested, or were promised. Not in the least.

·
Administrator
17,314 Posts
I have never once seen a plastic guide rod break on a Glock NEVER. Including all 7 of mine. Not 1. Plastic guide rods are not "crap". That metal POS in the photos above is crap. And it was sold as "better". It obviously wasn't. The people who make and sell all of this aftermarket garbage are out to make a buck as well, and sell it at a certain, "price point"..... All with far less of an investment, or reputation to protect.

And just because they sell something as "better" or "improved" doesn't mean it is. Far from it. It's no different with oil additives. Most all of them are a complete waste of money, and are pure garbage. That accomplish nothing but make you poorer. But people spend millions on them every year believing they're "better" as well. They all made both Morgan Lucas and Andy Granatelli damn near billionaires. With all of the thick, sticky (edit) in a bottle they sell. And many actually believe it's "better". In reality all they've become are bought and paid for members of the placebo effect. Nothing more.

All this aftermarket garbage exists for the exact the same reason Vegas does. Because there is massive profitability in both...... By selling smoke and mirrors. And without having to give back what people have invested, or were promised. Not in the least.
Just because some parts are crap... Doesn't mean all are. Just because plastic doesn't break, doesn't mean it's best. They use plastic, because it is cheapest, for a price point. Stamped parts are cheaper, mim parts are cheaper. The all replaced traditional parts manufacturing... To save money. Hell, Tupperware guns are cheaper. Yes, they work, they perform a job. So does alloy, so does steel.

Feel free to leave yours stock. Others enjoy modifying... Like engines, and every other hobby known to man...

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I should add to that, the very few stock Glock's I have seen malfunction, were proven to be either ammunition related, and / or limp wristing.... No fault of the gun.
Glocks aren't magical....

I don't train nearly as much as what Ellifritz's teachings see each year, but I do attend my fair share of training classes, and I've seen multiple episodes of fellow students' Glocks fail at these very same areas (and no, they were not modified). Similarly, it is precisely because of his -as well as other Glock Armorers'- experiences that I service mine and my daughter's Glocks at the intervals that I do. "An ounce of prevention, right?" ;)

By far the most attrition I've seen in any single class was in Chris Costa's HE01/02 series that I took in the summer of 2012. A Sig Blackwater cracked its slide. A Gen4 Glock that lost its slide lock during live-fire (a Gen3 also went down - of the couple of friends of mine in the class, none of us remembered the reason). An HK-45 Compact and a STI 2011 each suffered a bent ejector, while a SA single-stack 9mm Loaded's ejector came loose. An XD40-SC sheared off its front barrel lug. An active-duty police-issue M&P 9 suffered a genuine slam-fire after too much dirt entered it over the duration of the class (as diagnosed on-site by Doug, of ATEi)

Any man-made object can -and will- fail. Just leaving the component alone won't guaranty that it will not, be it through use or due to a factory/production defect.

Similarly, using aftermarket components may or may not delay, induce, or even accelerate time-to-failure.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
No, really.... Beefing up an engine is exactly the same thing. Exactly. And just because one part is crap, doesn't mean all parts are bad. I'm no fan of tungsten rods, but nothing inherently wrong if they are designed right for the job. And as we already know.... Early recoil springs were getting chewed up on the 10mm. My guess it tungsten is too brittle for the beating.

Many.... Including Glock and SA come with plastic... Pure crap. It may get the job done, but metal is better. Spring steel gets the job done, silicone does it better. MIM gets the job done (and can be done right) but most prefer machined.... Everything can be modified better. Everything.
I agree with Powerman, guns are just machinery and can be modified for the better. in the OP's case it appears the part does not do well over time.

I would have thought changing the spring would be better for recoil. I have replaced most of my plastic guide rods in other guns with Stainless Steel. In my XDM10 4.5" just the recoil spring with a Wolff 22 pound.

·
Registered
XD 40, XDm 45 OSP, XDm Elite 9mm OSP, XDs Mod2 9mm
27 Posts
There is undoubtedly merit to what Powerman is trying convey, and I am another enthusiast who will upgrade my firearms, and usually in any way I feel will either promote better function, be it longevity, reliability, accuracy, or handling, firearms can be upgraded the EXACT way cars can be. I can't and won't say that there's anything wrong with the way guns come from the factory, because it simply isn't true, they spend lots of time and money in R&D to KNOW what works, but literally the minimum of safety and reliability, like the plastic guide rod. It works of course, but steel or tungsten guide rods(generally) attribute better performance than the stock one. A better example is the trigger, PRP or SP both have amazing triggers for most every XD pistol, and though I believe SA has the best overall out-of-the-box trigger, a PRP or SP trigger job will most definitely be an upgrade.

Now on the other hand, not every aftermarket offering is actually better than the stock. Roughly the last decade or so the market has become absolutely saturated with pretty much anything anyone could ever want, and unfortunately there are some out there that aren't made with the best materials or processes, resulting in issues that range from a minor FTE up to a catastrophic failure, so those who do upgrade their guns, do your homework on the parts you buy to make sure it's not just something that "looks cooler".

As far as OP's guide rod issue, it's the first I've seen or heard of, and my suggestion is to contact pistolgear, can't recall the guys name right now, but he should take care of you, send him an email or call whenever they're open, I'm confident he'll take care of you. If you're having account issues, I'm sure he's still got records of the transaction, but that likely won't even matter, from my experience, he's one of the good guys. Good luck and keep us updated on what happens, I'm curious what the deal is because I use tungsten guide rods in a few of my heavier-recoiling or snappy compact pistols.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I exchanged emails with Pistol Gear. No joy. :(
There were no instructions with the spring or heavy guude rod to grind flat the end coil.

Light Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

·
Registered
174 Posts
I exchanged emails with Pistol Gear. No joy. :( There were no instructions with the spring or heavy guude rod to grind flat the end coil.
You shouldn't need "instructions", or have to start grinding on a brand new guide rod. It's a drop in item.... Or at least it should be if it's made properly. If you can field strip and clean a semi auto pistol, you should be able to install one. This isn't your fault. This is the problem with a lot of this aftermarket crap. You spend your money in good faith buying this stuff, expecting it to work better than the factory part. (Otherwise what's the point?) Only to have the thing cause problems you didn't have with the factory part you replaced it with, that was running perfectly.

The aftermarket is lucrative with this kind of junk. Therein lies the problem. A LOT of it is just that.... Junk. You the consumer have no way of knowing until you buy it. Then, as you found out, it's too late. What irritates me, is I can all but guarantee you that you're not the only one having issues with that rod. Mostly because that company did little, if any actual testing before they threw that POS on the market to make a fast buck.

If they had extensively tested it, the same thing would have happened to them, that happened to you in your gun. And that's the basic problem with trying to make something "better" by purchasing aftermarket parts. Many don't test the way the factory does before putting it on the market. This holds even truer in the automotive world. Testing takes time, and costs money. They simply don't have the financial capital available to do it. A of of these guys are one man bands operating out of their basement. And unless you buy from a very reputable manufacturer, who has a good, solid reputation to protect, you are at the mercy quality wise at who you buy from. And many to most don't give a rats a$$.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts