Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything negative shooting reloads instead of new loads?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Depending on what you are using them for. Most OEM powders have flash suppressants in them reducing the amount of apparent muzzle flash. Other than that, just don't use them as carry rounds as they will not be sealed as well as factory rounds to keep moisture from impacting your powder's performance.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Old School said:
When shooting reloads, only shoot your own. I cannot think of any nagatives, except the cost of getting started.
+1

As long as you're careful when reloading there aren't really any negatives. If you're not careful however, you could throw a double charge of powder. Sometimes its not that big of a deal, but sometimes it's enought to crack your gun or blow up your hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Policing your cases kind of sucks (with an autoloader), I really need to make some sort of brass catcher. Unless you already have to do this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
[quote="jalley

As long as you're careful when reloading there aren't really any negatives. If you're not careful however, you could throw a double charge of powder. Sometimes its not that big of a deal, but sometimes it's enought to crack your gun or blow up your hand.[/quote]

I use a powder that fills the case, then doubles are never thrown.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
ArmoredXD said:
what about factory reloads?
I consider factory reloads to be production ammo, assuming that the outfit has tight QA processes in place, using the same components, batch after batch. A guy in his basement, selling them as factory reloads, does not fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
jalley said:
As long as you're careful when reloading there aren't really any negatives. If you're not careful however, you could throw a double charge of powder.
No powder is also a very serious concern, particularly if the primer drives the bullet deep enough into the barrel to allow the subsequent round to chamber. (I have a bullet that I drove out of the barrel of one of my .45's mounted above my reloading bench as a reminder of what could have happened)

·
Registered
256 Posts
JD McDorce said:
jalley said:
As long as you're careful when reloading there aren't really any negatives. If you're not careful however, you could throw a double charge of powder.
No powder is also a very serious concern, particularly if the primer drives the bullet deep enough into the barrel to allow the subsequent round to chamber. (I have a bullet that I drove out of the barrel of one of my .45's mounted above my reloading bench as a reminder of what could have happened)
This is a squib load is it not. I had one also.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Just curious how much it cost you guys for equipment to get started?

I was thinking of doing my own reloads as 10mm is pretty expensive. Being able to do 9mm would be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
If you want to just reload pistol only .I bought Dillon square deal b and love it.Full progressive (auto indexing just set empty cases and bullets pull handle).
See here http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html
Brian Enoes is a great guy to deal with and Dillon has a no B.S. lifetime warrenty
So 300 press+ 20 for once fired brass + 20 # of powder +20 500 berrys bullets +21.90 1000 primers+30 Powder check scale+cailpers 25 So basically 450 the square deal comes with dies .then you are ready to make bullets

Later you will want
Tumbler {case cleaner}70
Media seprater 40
Thier are some deals on ebay but most Dillon stuff sells for more than new :shock:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I buy reloads from the gunshow. The owner sells them by the 1000Ks in many calibers + new ammo. He uses Winchester cases for his handgun ammo and offers a great price. I don't think he is loading them in his garage.

That said, I do have some fte when shooting my XD SC 9mm, tho I don't with my beretta 92f. I have had no problems whatsoever with the latter and these reloads. I attribute the problems with the XD due to the smaller weapon, tho the round is 115gr, just like WWB from Walmart and I never have a problem with that ammo.

Since it is just used as a plinking/target shooting round, I really don't mind the jams as it gives me some experience in clearing them. And at $85 for 1000, I'll live with it. I use Ranger Talon for self defense.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Another thumbs up for Dillon. If you want to order from the direct, you'll get the same items, same price, 1-800-223-4570 (just how freakin easy is it to remember that phone #)

Square Deal will be good if you're just looking to reload pistol calibers, but two main disadvantages of the Square Deal:
1) propritary dies @ $70/ea (if you use another press, you won't be able to use the Square Deal dies on it, the press comes with one die caliber already)
2) limited calibers (.32, .380, .38, .357, .38 super, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .41 mag, 44 spec, 44 mag, .44-40 win, 45acp, 45 colt, 45 gap, 45 schofield)

If you believe you'll want to make rifle rounds now or into the future, grab a RL550B for just a few dollars more and the calibers are almost endless.

---

Scale:
I went with a Pact BBK digital scale because it has a limited lifetime warranty ($89), the Dillon and RCBS scales only have a 1 year warranty.

Caliber:
eBay, $20 shipped. No reason to spend $80 on the dillon one. The one I got was 6" capacity accurate to +/- 0.001", it does both metric and US measurements and included an extra battery. I've taken many of spark plug gages and it was accurate with the stampings on each one of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
reloading is the best money I ever spent , if you take your time you can taylor a load that will out preform factory ammo, 3 wks ago I bought my XD-9 and a friend of mine has one also he brought over many different 9mm factory ammo, within 3 hour my loads brought the groups from 4 to 5 inch at 25 yards to 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups from a rest, I tryed several bullets Hornady xtp, hap and zero, remengton and winchester 115 gr and 124 gr, powders tested were power pistol, titegroup, hs-6, clays, best performance was with zero fmj hp 115 gr, with 5.2 gr of power pistol, and a col of 1.125, 2nd was HS-6 then Clays, and best I can figure my cost per hundred is about $8

·
Registered
53 Posts
I reload for practice but buy Speer GoldDot for CC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try to stick to the powders in the loads you want that will not allow a double charge. If you're using a powder like Bullseye, (which can be deadly in a double load) have a wooden dowel with a pencil mark that shows the end of a loaded case. After you've charged all of your cases drop the dowel into each one. The position of the pencil line will tell you if you've screwed-up and double charged one. :sad: For cost saving I've found a single powder with loads for all of my rifles, so I buy it in bulk.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Disadvantages? You probably shoot more than you should ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You can get defective factory ammo as well. I have had factory squibs, case splits, etc. Shooting quality factory remanuf., like GeorgiaArms or Blackhills, or your own, there is no downside IMO. You may shoot more & become a better shot, but that's about it.;) I WOULD NEVER BUY GUNSHOW RELOADS or GUNRANGE RELOADS, NEVER!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts