Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video from Springer Precision and they mentioned disabling the auto takedown. Why would I want to do this? Is there a benefit to it or is the XDm takedown mechanism problematic?

I'm asking because I just got my XDm 9 4.5" and I was wondering if this is something I should do or is it one of those user preference type things??

Thanks,
Frankie

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Just one less piece to push when you are really trying for the lightest trigger pull. Or one less part to loose if you are fumble fingered on disassembly. No worries other than that. Having it in there is a nice safety convienence. If removed, you will need to pull the trigger to remove the slide, like an XD model. Pistol functions the same for firing with or without the lever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I went ahead and removed it. I sat there for probably 20 mins playing with the spring on the piece that deactivates the firing pin safety and the trigger to see if it was actually lighter or if it was in my head lol it definitely seems a hair lighter. Once I did that, I went ahead and removed it all. I think I'm gonna send it in to Springer Precision for a trigger job. I felt the trigger on an m that had been worked by them and it was sexy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Spent a fair amount of time this weekend properly cleaning 4 pistols that needed it. Did my XDM 1st and it was a pleasure The takedown lever makes field stripping so easy there's no excuse for not cleaning it immediately after each use. Like it so much I may just have it silver plated. My Colt 1911, Sigma 40, and Ruger LCP 380 each required wrestling with a takedown pin or tabs (Sigma) each requiring 3 hands or the body contortions of a Chinese gymnast. Just one more reason to love my Springfield.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As I understand it, "auto takedown" comprises 4 parts. When I installed the PRP kit in my XDm I left them out. I don't mind pulling the trigger to disassemble the pistol and while they certainly don't cause any harm I don't need them. I don't carry my XDm so have no issues there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was used to the XD Takedown system. So I just removed it from my XDm's the first time I disassembled to clean them. Haven't had a problem with or without them. It's just less parts to worry about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I understand it, "auto takedown" comprises 4 parts. When I installed the PRP kit in my XDm I left them out. I don't mind pulling the trigger to disassemble the pistol and while they certainly don't cause any harm I don't need them.

Same here. Haven't missed it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a big question, I recently disabled my auto take down by removing the bar, the lever and spring by the grip safety. Now I can't get the slide to release by pulling the trigger just like you do on a regular XD. I have to snatch on the slide after pulling the trigger to get it to come off. Am I missing something ? somebody said something about taking out a spring that wraps around the sear spring, was I supposed to remove that also ? Any help ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts