Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant seem to get this under control. I have used two different seating dies. I am trying to load 223 rem. As suggested, when setting the seating depth, I had a case in the sizing die and still no joy. I put a case in the sizing die, turned out the seating die and put a round in that was exactly 2.260. I turned the seating adjuster in until it touched the bullet then started seating bullets. It varied between 2.245 and 2.276. This is driving me nuts. I also have the shell plate tightened up to where it rotates with a little bit of tension so there is very little to no play at all. Also, when I noticed I was seating to long, I would adjust the depth in and end up with the next one being longer! No that really pissed me off. So what am I doing wrong? I have used a Lee and Lyman die. At the rate I have been going, my Lee turret could keep up with less variance at this point.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sorry no help here but just had to say this. WHAT a Dillon not working perfectly 100% of the time. Next thing you say is your glock is jamming. :)

I'm sure Fred will come along and actually help in a little while.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I wouldn't worry about it. That much variance won't be noticed unless your shooting 500yards from a bench.

Also how are you measuring the rounds? There is probably some variance in that as well.

Plus, have you measured the bullets?

Honestly it's probably being caused by you not putting equal force into each pull of the handle, but it's really not that big of deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just went and measured some of my rounds for you. I grabbed 10 rounds. Shortest was 2.205" and the longest was 2.215". I was surprised mine were that close. I usually measure the first round out of the press and then just crank away.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sorry no help here but just had to say this. WHAT a Dillon not working perfectly 100% of the time. Next thing you say is your glock is jamming. :)

I'm sure Fred will come along and actually help in a little while.
Agalindo, I didn't know you bled red...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I didnt want any issues with pressure but I also notices that since I am only loading 22.5gr of benchmark I am right in the middle of the range. Also, since a buddy of mine will be using some of this batch, I wanted to be safe as can be. I am using Nosler custom competition 69gr HPBT bullets. I measure with a digital caliper. Just pi$$es me off that you spend a lot of money to go blue and have these issues. 2.260 is supposed to be max length, yet all of the rounds fit in the mag.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don't load rifle on my 650 but do load 308 & soon to load 223 on my 550. Unless you have a lot of tool head slop, you shouldn't get that much variation in OAL. I would first adjust the seating w/o a case in the sizing die, just a single round in the seating stn. Make sure you use a full press handle stroke. Then if that is consistent, try w/ a case in stn 1 as well & fine tune. I generally use Redding or RCBS for rifle, I just don't have the OAL issue on the 550B. IF the tool head has a bunch of vert play, take it out, turn it over & drive a center punch into the key to raise a dimple on each side of the tool head. This will allow a more snug fit, but I don't think that is the issue.
BTW, you do not get the same pressure issues with a deeper seated bullet in rifles. Pressure issues come from wedging the bullet into the lands. A variation in OAL is only going to be a functioning issue (too long) or an accuarcy issue.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Another point of view: Check your bullet seater plug to see if it is the right shape for the bullets you are loading. Mismatched shaped plugs and bullets could cause your problem. Exanple, a pointed bullet and a round nose seater.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another point of view: Check your bullet seater plug to see if it is the right shape for the bullets you are loading. Mismatched shaped plugs and bullets could cause your problem. Exanple, a pointed bullet and a round nose seater.
I looked at the one in the lee seater and it has a hole/chamber at the top of the plug to accommodate different types of points.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I've loaded thousands of .223s on my 650. Here's my secret: I use the dead-length (I believe that's what it's called) seating die from the Lee Collet die set. I get much more consistent seating than the OP is experiencing. Also recommend that the OP doesn't crimp his .223 rounds.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I've loaded thousands of .223s on my 650. Here's my secret: I use the dead-length (I believe that's what it's called) seating die from the Lee Collet die set. I get much more consistent seating than the OP is experiencing. Also recommend that the OP doesn't crimp his .223 rounds.
This could be the solution..^^^.. If you are loading untrimmed cases and crimping them, the longer cases may be getting crushed (shoulder setback) by the crimper on the seating stroke, making those rounds shorter by lowering the shoulder. Then shorter cases remain un-crushed and end up longer OAL. Solution, trim all cases before reloading or as stated above raise your die so it does not crimp any of them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. All of the cases are 1.760 or a little shorter. I sort them prior to reloading. I switched bullets to some ARMSCOR 62gr FMJBT. I had much better results with these oddly enough. One thing I noticed with the Nosler 69gr custom competition bullets is there seemed to be 2 different types in the batch. One group would seat to roughly 2.274. Then there was a another group that would seat to roughly 2.266. So after I re-adjusted the seating die according to a dillon rep, I put this rounds back through the seater. Almost all of the 2.27X rounds seated to 2.266. The 2.266 group adjusted down to 2.260 +/- .002. kinda tells me there were issues in that batch.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Still suggest that you try the Lee seating die that comes with their collet die set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts