Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here goes another thread about newbie reloading, dont hang me out too bad. I have been reading, and reading and reading some more on reloading. I have gotten to the point where I flat out shoot so much 45 acp that its killing my wallet. Im a pistol man, only long guns i have are 12 gauge and a 10-22. My plan is to only load 45 and after i get good 9mm. Thats it, nothing else. All my guns are 45acp or 9mm. I try to keep it that way to save on ammo cost. I also just prefer the 45. I am a person who is not afraid to spend the money on good equipment, but also dont want to over do it on something i really dont need. All that taken into consideration, i think the dillon square deal b is right for me. Notice i "think". I am asking you guys who have been there and done that for your thoughts and recommendations on what I should buy with it extra to help me out. I would be in no hurry 200 rounds per hour is fine for me. It will give me something to do when im staying up all night when i rotate to night shifts. I am planning on ordering the equipment ASAP, so i can build my table etc..I will not even touch it until i have read the books, did more research etc.. I am just wanting your guys opinion on my press choice and options i should consider so i can go ahead and get them on the way. I will figure out the rest after it gets here.

thanks for reading
matt

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
If you only want to load pistol rounds, the SDB is the best loader made.
I've loaded .45 for 18 years and .40 for 5 years with mine, terrific loader.
It comes with a set of dies (your choice) PRE SET from the factory so you don't have to struggle with the die setup when you first get going.

All you'll need is a powder scale to setup the press and a few things like primer flip tray, etc and off you go.

IMHO you don't need the low-primer warning thing. It's right in front of your face and you can tell when you didn't seat a primer, it's obvious.

Also, should you want to load rifles later you can just get a different press and have a pistol-only and a rifle-only press. I did that, use a RCBS Rock Crusher II for precision .308 Win reloads. Also .44 mag because it's low volume reloading and I don't really want to change the SDB back and forth between 3 calibers.

Some guys end up with a SDB dedicated to each pistol caliber.
Sounds dumb, works great.

Bad Thing: You will kick yourself for not getting into it sooner.
Good Thing: You HAVE been saving all that once-fired commercial brass... RIGHT?!?!?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahah ya, i almost got into it last year. Ive been saving my brass. I got about 3 walmart sacks full of various calibers. Mostly 45 but a few 9mm, 40, and 38 special in there as well. I think i will invest in a nice quality digital scale as ive been warned about cheap ones. Im assuming you order directly from dillon?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Safety glasses/goggles, Calipers and scale (& check weights), primer flip tray, several acro bins, good wrenches, hex keys (allen wrenches), bullet puller (and block of bood to smack it on), case gauge. Use a cookie tray with a lip for lubing brass. Get a small LED book light with a clip or magnet to illuminate the just filled cases at the seating station. A pair of forceps for grabbing the shell plate pins and other small stuff. Can of compressed air and a small soft brush (1 inch paint brush). Get the spare parts kit for the press. The press mounts with (4) 1/4 inch bolts (add 3/8 inch to thickness of table plus 1/2 to 3/4 inches for washers top and bottom plus a split ring and nut.

Vibratory cleaner, sifter/separator, case lube, polishing media, polish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to chime in and recommend the RL550b. I've had both, and put loaded over 100,000 rounds on the SDB. It's a great press, but if you are new to reloading the auto-indexing can foul up, and leave you with a mess of powder. The 550 is just so much nicer for just a little bit more money. Changing calibers is 5 minute deal tops. I don't have nearly the mess, it's much easier to experiment with adjustments. I would not go back to the SDB. I really thought I'd miss the auto-indexing, but I actually like not having it. If you start loading more you can add the case feeder.

Take a look at Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews

The forum is a great place to learn about reloading too.

Whatever you get, it's by far better than anything else out there, I've had some of those too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i figured that the 550 would pop up. Thats what ive been debating on whether to get, the 550 or the square deal b. Its not that its a matter of money( I mean im not rich or anything but there is not much diff in price of the two), its just I figured the square deal B would fit my needs more. Thats where im at on it. Ive been reading on that website off and on for a few days now. (brianenos.com)

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
If you might want to reload rifles one day and money isn't an issue, get the 550. Mostly because you can add the auto case feeder. But you said you only wanted to reload pistols and you didn't care about speed. The SDB is simpler to setup since it comes setup in one caliber from the factory, but I will say once you get into reloading, it will take you much farther than you might think -- you'll end up reloading several calibers for sure.

I've never had any problems with the auto indexing.

YMMV

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope I have told myself not to get into rifles. My pistol fetish is enough, getting into carbines/optics, etc...i cant do it. Would i like to? heck yea but im dead set of just being a pistol guy. I can always shoot my buddies carbines if I feel the need. That, and these pistols take up less room, that means room for more..hahaha thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The SDB is not as robust as the 550 and I have heard many say that they have had trouble with the primers not being set deep enough with the SDB mostly with .45acp. My 550 has to have close to 50,000 rounds on it.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The SDB is a great choice.
So is the 550.

Your appetite for reloading will go way up once you start, buy the best you can comfortably afford and you'll never have to upgrade. Don't believe for a second you aren't gonna get into rifles and rifle reloading, my friend. You ARE.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had the SDB for about 4 months now and I love it. I too only need to load pistol ammo, so it was the perfect choice for me. I have only loaded about 1000 9mm, and 300 .45, and this is the only press I have used/owned, so I am in no position to make a recommendation.

Having said that....

It was very easy to setup. The dies are already in place. Mount it to the table, put the powder measure on, and your ready to rock. I did have to make a small adjustment to the seating die to fit my tastes, but it's no biggie. They sent two cases, one empty with a dummy primer and one empty, no primer, but with a bullet seated. They did it with your press so you see exactly what it will do if you make no adjustments.

There have been a few occasions where I have failed to seat a new primer and end up with a small mess, but no doubt that was user error. Caliber change over is not too bad with a quick change setup. Take the tool head off, put the new one on, and switch out the primer system. About 10 min tops if you take your time.

Setting up the dies for my .45 for the first time was a PITA, but it was the first time ever for me setting dies, so I guess that's expected.

Good luck with whatever you choose to get, and you have come to the right place to ask questions. I have learned a lot from reading the posts here and I'm sure they have saved me from more than a few newb mistakes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm, well more than likely it will be set up ONLY to do 45's, least thats the plan for now. Dang, decisions decisions. Before all my reading, i had been eyeballing the rcbs "master kit". I think it was like 270 or so at cabellas. I guess I will just keep researching and keep asking questions here and there and maybe can decide on which route to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shoot ~ 350 rounds a month. Im starting to think im kind of overdoing it right off the bat. Of course, if I bought the dillon I would be set up for if i do expand later. Ive been doing some research on the lee classic turret press kit, like seen here Cabela's -- Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit

i am kind of leaning towards it. I think being able to use it single stage is what I need to practice on before I jump right into the auto.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I shoot ~ 350 rounds a month.

i am kind of leaning towards it. I think being able to use it single stage is what I need to practice on before I jump right into the auto.
you'll probably shoot more once you start reloading...:D

The cool thing about the 550b is it acts like a single if you want it to, just put one case in and cycle it all the way through, then do another. You'll quit doing that after about 10 rounds and go full progressive. I've had the Lee, nothing like a Dillon.
Go check ebay for used prices of both presses, the Dillon's don't loose much in price, there's a really good reason for that, they rock, and the warranty and customer service can't be beat.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
A dillon is like a slot machiine.only diff.is you get a loaded round each pull/turn.also the more ya load the more you will shoot.loaded 700 40sw today but shot half.load walk out of shop and shoot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dillon makes quality stuff and they really do have a "No B.S." warranty. I'd highly recommend the SDB. I reload .45 with it for my XDC. I've got thousands of rounds of 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP through mine over Lord know how many years. I had a spring break once and that's about it. After a call to Dillon, a new one was on the way free of charge (and that includes shipping).

I also have the 550 but I keep that set up exclusively for .223. For my .308 bolt gun, I have a single stage Rock Chucker. Lastly, I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load for my 50BMG.

I have no qualms at recommending Dillon.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I use and recommend the Square Deal. I have had mine at least 12 years. I load .38/.357, 40 and 45. I have had a few minor issues over the years, which Dillon took care of right away. I recently purchased a used SDB on Ebay so I don't have to change dies as much. Once properly set up, they are practically foolproof.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts