Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Just got my 550 and like it. Two things and I'll love it. I did some searching and read that some uses lube on the powder-slide. Dillon says no. Thing is it slides forward and pops back. What to do?
Second the primers fly everywhere but in the container. I shoot Glocks so dont care about getting hit but some goes under the shellholder and stops the business. What to do?
I have loaded 300 round new press.
Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you using the correct primer pick up tube and have the cotter pin installed properly?

And then the nut on top of the primer tube on the press guides the primer pick up tube to release them straight in, so not sure how they'd be flying all over the place.

Are you talking about when you're dumping them in, or when you're loading rounds?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I assume that "everywhere but in the container" means decapping so I'd make sure that the shute is staying closed all the way up down until it drops the spent primer. Many times that is caused by that cotter pin so lots of folks replace it with a paper clip or straight wire. Sometimes the decapping pin is sharp and primers stick to the decapping pin so sometimes folks have to dull the tip to keep primers from sticking to it and getting pulled up instead of falling down. I had a slightly different issue where about half of my small primers were hitting the back of the cup and bouncing off. I ended up adding the following walls to the side of the cups on both of my presses.

No lube for me on the primer slide. I just wipe it down periodically when it starts to stick. I have also found that overtightening the screws on the bottom of the primer assembly causes mine to stick prematurely.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmmm, my reading comprehension sucks tonight. As I read OPs post again, obviously we're talking the spent primers...I'll leave my earlier response for people to laugh at.

I also had to do some minor adjustments on the spring-loaded 'chute' the primers drop through, but it didn't take much and they drop in every time now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think i got it. Yes the chute with safetypin and magnet trick and adjustment of the powder slide should do it. Will try asap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Thanks. I think i got it. Yes the chute with safetypin and magnet trick and adjustment of the powder slide should do it. Will try asap. Thanks again.
Do Not hesitate to call Dillon directly with questions...I had an issue with my powder station when I first got my 550...called at 3pm on a Saturday, expecting to leave a message and within 10 minutes was on the phone with a Department Head--had it fixed up in less than 15 minutes!

Dirty Rod: I am going to steal that spent-primer enhancement! Never though of that but it is so damn simple I can't believe I didn't come up with something similar :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Dirty Rod: I am going to steal that spent-primer enhancement! Never though of that but it is so damn simple I can't believe I didn't come up with something similar :lol:
All yours. There are pages of tips and tricks over on the Brian Enos site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes!
Safetypin and magnet - done!
Tightening adjustment-screw - done!
2 minutes and its perfect.
Have to clean brass like crazy now..
Be well, Fred

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Rod got you covered, but setup the priming system with the correct pieces, small for small, large for large, it will work fine. I woud polish the moving metal parts with 800g paper. If you really want to, some dry lube, lie graphite on the slide works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts