Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. I have the Dillon 550 and I am looking at the Lee 45 ACP 4 Die set ( MidwayUSA - Lee Deluxe Handgun 4-Die Set 45 ACP ). Has anyone had great success with this combination?

Second question. With the Dillon 550 can you use the shell holder that comes with the Lee dies or is it advisable to order the "caliber conversion" kit from Dillon?

Thank you for the advice> :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
3 of the 4 Lee dies will work fine. The expander/powder drop die will not work with the Dillon powder measure. You will need to get a .45ACP calliber conversion for the 550. It will consist of a shell plate, locater pins and a powder funnel. To make things much easier, get an extra tool head and another powder die and leave it set up for .45ACP.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 of the 4 Lee dies will work fine. The expander/powder drop die will not work with the Dillon powder measure. You will need to get a .45ACP calliber conversion for the 550. It will consist of a shell plate, locater pins and a powder funnel. To make things much easier, get an extra tool head and another powder die and leave it set up for .45ACP.

I figured that the powder drop wouldn't work. I wanted the crimp and the 4 die set comes with it. Guess I will have the powder drop for a single stage.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Ypu can use any 7/8" die set in the Dillon. You wil have to buy a conversion kit to get a shell plate/carrier & powder thru expander. The extra tool heads are a must IMO for convenient change overs. I run two 550B, one for small & one for large. I load for 11 calibers so it makes it much easier. Some even get extra powder measures, but I always set & check my measure before I load anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts